Thread: Fairbanks Area Ice Fishing?

Default Fairbanks Area Ice Fishing?

My wife and I went out to Chena Lakes ice fishing in those rental shanties Saturday - she caught 3 on pop corn shrimp.
    Really slow, the bite started after noon, they bit the bait within 3' of bottom of the hole in 25' + deep water. It was her Valentines Day present and as usual she caught some fish. :-) Always a good thing!

We are looking forward to bigger fish - further east as the temps moderate and the days get longer.

Would be great to read other reports too and hear of your successes here in the further north!

We have the full gear rigging for ice fishing but no depth/fish finder. Will probably look for holes on the big lake and work from the bottom up with the prescribed lures for lakers. Any suggestions would be appreciated on Lakers. We are C&R on Lakers. I have experience w/Lakers on lake Louise and Char on Big Lake. Looking forward to fishing up here now that it is getting warmer!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

If you think 3 fish is slow than Laker lakes will be god awful boring for you guys. most will strike out. my buddy been out 6x and no lakers or chars. thats about 5 hrs each time. you got to be DIE HARD to chase lakers with little success most of the time. flasher not needed but helps. airplane and tubes and spoons are your friends for the big boys. look for old fishing holes or other ppl fishing for a starting point. Have fun
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Went to Chena lakes thurs. 2 ft ice fished 9/5 caught caught lots of 12in. slivers char rainbows..saw no big fish on camera fished in 8 ft water with 2 feet weeds on bottom shrimp ,eggs,and a fish eyed jig.... all worked,,,,

if you're serious about chasing lakers, buying a flasher of some form is worth the 300 bucks (or more). Its not NEEDED but it will substantially change the game! Not just on lakers but all fish. a refurbished fl8 or Marcum lx3 is worth its weight in gold and really not overly spendy! If you buy used watch the transducers. My lx5 (purchased new) finally went to pot this year. it still worked, to a degree, in shallow water I had issues. We've ran a bunch of the early machines including a few home jobbies that worked just fine before vexilar and Marcum really kicked off. I was too cheap back than to buy one, sure glad I did! I'm not pushing products, but I will say this, until I picked one up, it was rare any of us stuck anything. The first day out, wamo! Late 90's early 2000's harding was outstanding, 10 fish days or more weren't the norm but they weren't uncommon. Getting skunked ment you showed up late and left early, and spent more time screwing off gabbing than fishing lol.

I've been out a few times this year and have bent rods every time I've been out. No big number days like we used to have...but they're around. early on we really hammered some hardluck fish! Heck for that matter we're not marking very many fish either. I haven't put the time in like normal to really pattern them this year like in years past though and the group I used to fish with disbanded a number of years back so the intel is limited to personal stick time. Surprisingly I haven't stuck a char yet. Normally its char char char and a laker here and there. not complaining, its just a different year over all. That and the bait balls are much smaller and less frequent also.

As for where? it will be pretty obvious where 90% of the people are at.

You can sit on a hole all day or punch a pile of holes until you figure the lake out.

P.S.

I think Ron's hogging them all !

PSS, Jedi still owes me taxi money!

Thanks! Good clues!
    That country was so hungry even the ravens were packin' a lunch.... HUNGRY I tell ya'!!

Get the subsistence permit and go to chatanika R. in Minto flats. Gonna need snogos but it's fun. Area around Goldstream Cr. mouth is good fishing usually. Keep moving till you get some hits. Seemed like each time I drilled a new hole we caught a couple pike out of it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

what are using for pike on the chatanika and does anybody know how the river conditions are. Is there any open water?

jigs tipped with bait. I prefer using a 4 to 6 inch white twister tail sort of a jig. Most important is to have some herring or whitefish to tip the jig with.

The Chat is usually in decent shape this time of year. Sometimes there can be some overflow somewhere along the river, but the trail on the river should be in good shape and well traveled by now. It can get pretty wet there later on in the spring. Sometimes there is a little open water where the trail hits the river, but should be completely manageable (ie, there should be a trail around any open spots).

Don't forget to go get the Subsistence permit over at ADF&G as sport fishing for pike in Minto Flats is closed until June 1.

thanks bairdi

one more thing do you usually have to go to the mouth? and about how far down river is it?