Thread: ????? "LOW WALL" vs. Strong BOLT Action

Default ????? "LOW WALL" vs. Strong BOLT Action

Which is the Stronger Action & Which is the more prone to accuracy........???

New'ish Winchester (or Browning) Low Wall or a Win. Model 70

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

I would guess the falling block to have the accuracy edge, although I have no empirical data to support that guess. You would have to test with identical barrels... Plenty of distance shoots have been won with falling blocks tho.

Strength wise, the M70 is certainly stronger than the Low Wall. The heavier High Wall is capable of magnum cartridges and has reportedly been chambered in more different cartridges than any other Winchester model. It has been rumored that Winchester used the High Wall as a test platform for new cartridge development. The lighter Low Wall however is probably limited to the .243 Win, .260 Rem, 6.5x55 pressure class of cartridges. I can report that the newer Miroku made guns are VERY nice.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Gotta think the difference between the two is pretty negligible with regard to accuracy potential…probably down to the difference in individual rifles more than anything else.

For strength, that's easy, the M70 is certainly capable of handling higher pressure than a Low Wall.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The opinion I've heard expressed the most is, that the Single Shot actions often rival the accuracy of Bolt Actions, but the 2 piece stocks of Single Shots, can be a detriment. ??????

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Single shots are neat rifles and can be accurate enough, but a commercial bolt-action gets the nod for both of your questions. Concerning accuracy, the lock-time on a Low Wall can be timed with a stopwatch........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    ...the lock-time on a Low Wall can be timed with a stopwatch........
    Oh.........ouch.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Well M70 is about as strong as it gets.

Both are capable of great accuracy but it's far easer to get ŕt the accuracy in a bolt action. So I'd say bolts are more accuret becouse they are easy to tune and far more likely to get tuned but that in no way implys others are inaccuret . . . they just need diferant and often more tuning.

Dunno about "stronger" because I'm just not one to push pressure limits in any caliber. I like nice, long life from my brass and don't really see the need to stretch the limits when merely moving to a larger case of some sort does the same thing. My twitch, and no criticism of anyone who likes to play ballistics engineer with their own guns.

As for accuracy, I've owned a fair number of Low Walls and other singles over the last 50 years. Achieving great accuracy is possible with them, but in my experience, with no "accurizing" effort, the bolt is usually more accurate. And if you work at accurizing both, the bolt is still likely to come out ahead. Different stocking and bedding techniques are usually needed with the single than the bolt, but it can be done. The assorted actions have been around so long, there's good history and documentation of the methods, so it's not black magic. With a little research and a little work, you can get excellent accuracy from singles. Long ago you'd see some singles on the line at a benchrest match, but they disappeared pretty quick as guys learned new methods and technology for accurizing bolts.

But I still love the singles, and take a lot more pride in them than bolts. Mostly cuzz I'm a lefty, and for a long time the selection of lefty bolts was pretty scanty. Did a whole lot of small varmint shooting in my early days, and frankly one of the big bonuses with the single was in brass capture while shooting prone. Or is that because I was used to doing it that way? Could be.

Shoot the singles if you like em, but if you're goal is winning a bench match, odds are with you if you use a bolt instead.