Thread: etec

Default etec

I am looking for a good etec mechanic to rebuild a 2005 225 motor for me. I blew the rings out on #1and #4 ( with all of 250 hours)this year and not knowing how easy it is to rebuild a two stroke I installed a new 250 etec on my boat. I am either going to rebuild it or try and trade for a river raft of some type.

You can get a good mechanic, but no matter how good you can't make a etec good. You will be putting good money after bad! Cut your losses now!

Good friend just had his 150 rebuilt last Nov....was 6 months shy of the 7 yr warranty and it was covered, no questions asked...which is good...but there does seem to be a problem with etec's....hope they figure it out....

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    You can get a good mechanic, but no matter how good you can't make a etec good. You will be putting good money after bad! Cut your losses now!
    Well said MGH55.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Correct!! ETEC's are great outboards, not good! Everyone should have 2.

Is that why every charter in Alaska has a set of them? I have seen, let me think, none comes to mind

For some reason they are very popular in the PNW.
    What are the issues MGH?
    BK

They don't like to run in cold (as in winter) conditions. Also when an issue occurs that triggers the computer to sound an alarm or shut down the motor it takes a trip to the shop to even be able to put the motor back in service/re-set the computer.
    Maybe not a concern where there are dealers to service them but like it's already been stated, probably a pretty good reason you don't see many.
    I imagine the hole shot is nice but really two stroke technology is long in the tooth and what does a gallon of the oil run? I had AMD try to push a pair on my boat for a pretty good price, declined politely.
    I believe F&G tried them for a while and didn't end up so good.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Thanks for the info.
    BK

Hard to get them worked on around here. I have had to pull to many off of boats to be sent off to be worked on, because of no service around Homer. If you have a Honda, Yamaha, or Merc you can get parts and service. We had one boat in the yard that had etec's pulled three off the boat in one summer. The next year no trouble at all on that same boat, because it had new Honda's on it
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    What are the issues MGH?
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We sell boats with any motor you want. In our shop, we currently have boats that we will power with Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Evinrude, and Mercury. When asked which motor I would pick, there are times when I feel a certain motor has an advantage in a certain use, but if the location is away from service centers, I tell people the brand you want is the one you can get service and parts for. It has been stated that E-Tec's are popular in the NW. That is true. The two motors we get the most requests for are E-Tec’s and Yamaha’s. Glen

Thank you!

that is surprising that they do not like to run in the cold. Isn't every snow machine a two stroke??
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    They don't like to run in cold (as in winter) conditions. Also when an issue occurs that triggers the computer to sound an alarm or shut down the motor it takes a trip to the shop to even be able to put the motor back in service/re-set the computer.
    Maybe not a concern where there are dealers to service them but like it's already been stated, probably a pretty good reason you don't see many.
    I imagine the hole shot is nice but really two stroke technology is long in the tooth and what does a gallon of the oil run? I had AMD try to push a pair on my boat for a pretty good price, declined politely.
    I believe F&G tried them for a while and didn't end up so good.

Also when an issue occurs that triggers the computer to sound an alarm or shut down the motor it takes a trip to the shop to even be able to put the motor back in service/re-set the computer.
    Really?? ...interesting!-- I don't know how to respond to that statement--so I wont!!..still laughing tho!!

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Well said. This discussion gets old. Same folks, same opinions. If the modern etec outboards have a weakness in south-central, its is the availability of quality / reliable / friendly service. Burkeshore does a great job. But its a haul from Anchorage or the peninsula for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    that is surprising that they do not like to run in the cold. Isn't every snow machine a two stroke??

3 lower unit rebuilds, 4 cylinders, dozens of spark plugs and other computer issues that I can't pronounce later (in 6 yrs) I can say my experience with E-Tecs is dismal. I finally found Burkshore marina to be very, very good at keeping them running, but with great effort and significant time loss during the summer.
    My experience may have been better if the Anchorage area e-tec dealer would have been half way decent....they are not.
    An on the water meeting with troopers a few years ago in PWS (who at the time ran e-tecs) ended in a 30 minute rant from trooper on how much they disliked the engine. He didn't even bother to check my license after the discussion. You know there's an issue when the trooper's first question to you when they approach you on the water is "good morning.....hey, how do you like the e-tecs?"

Bc, see the above post for clarification. The information I shared came from 2 sources, one a recreational boater putting on a few hours in the summer and also troopers that ran them year round. Makes sense to share reliable info beneficial to others which is a great thing about the forum. Breaking Out Another Thousand owning a boat is to be expected but the etecs seem to take that to another level.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

. Makes sense to share reliable info beneficial to others which is a great thing about the forum.
    hi big al!..ok, sorry for laughing earlier but when statements are made like that its hard not to laugh...your example of the rec boater and a few hours having an issue I do believe!...I think we all come across boaters who cant get their motors going and can be as simple as a fuel line put in backwords!...as far as the "troopers?"...was it just one trooper or ALL of the state troopers having to bring in their etecs for service once an alarm sounds?..

.ok here is a TRUE story from me--an etec owner!
    this is what I remember--3 years ago I found myself in a patch of kelp and rough seas and went through it trying to get to an island about 15 miles off shore!..i got a computer audible ALARM , readout saying I was getting high engine temp in the port engine(185 deg I think?)?....I went hmm?...stupid me I kept going and approx. 3 min later I received another alarm saying it was going to shut me down because now I was up to over 200 deg F....I lost partiel power and I shut off the engine.. a few minutes later I tried to restart it==NOPE!!.(230 deg ?)..so, I trimmed up the engine and headed to the island on the starboard engine!...24 mph with all my gear--was impressed!........so, long story short--I had the intake plugged with kelp!!.....I could not restart that engine until it was about 100 deg f!.........guess what---I started the engine--WITHOUT GOING TO THE SERVICE DUDES!!!.........the alarm system did what it was supposed to do--namely--save my engine because I was too stupid to investigate the problem when it first alarmed!!.....so, what this one or all the state troppers are doing I don't have a clue?........
    ok, back to the shadows I go! larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."