Thread: Alaska Wildlife Rugs and Taxidermy - spring bear skinning class

Default Alaska Wildlife Rugs and Taxidermy - spring bear skinning class

Sending along an FYI for all those interested in learning, in person, how to PROPERLY skin a bear for taxidermy purposes!

God willing, I will have a whole black bear to use for instruction (if not, then the class specimen will be a coyote) . Class will cover all the do's and don'ts of skinning a bear for a rug, a lifesize, or a shoulder mount. And yes, each type of mount has it's own type of skinning cuts. After skinning, I will show how to skin the feet, the head, and turn ears, lips, and nose. Learning to do these is important if you are going to be out in the field for an extended period. Also we will discuss proper field care, storage, and skinning equipment (knives and knife sharpeners)

Everyone who attends the class will receive my favorite type of skinning knife. A victorinox.

This class is limited to 10 people. For more information please go to http://www.alaskawildliferugs.com/News.html

If there is enough interest, I may have a women's only class as well! I would certainly love to help more women become comfortable with the 'aftermath' of the hunt!

BTW - in my career as a taxidermist, I have fleshed and prepped out somewhere in the neighborhood of 600-800 bears. Possibly more. (I lost track about 8 yrs ago. LOL)

good hunting!
    Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Juli,
    Ever work with the BOW (becoming an outdoors woman) courses for the women?
    Just a thought.....
    BK

BK,

I have not, but I did attend one of their 'weekends' some yrs ago which was quite fun and entertaining. The BOW program is really a great way to help women become more comfortable with the outdoors, or just to hang around women of similar interests.

One of the problems I would have to overcome is that my business is open on the weekends. It would only be feasible if they would allow for the 'class' to take place at my shop. Which I would not mind at all.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Sending out an fyi -

The bear skinning class is filled, but if you think you or someone you know might be interested, I will put three or four people on a reserve list in case someone is unable to attend.
    Taxidermy IS art!

If you ever gave one in Fairbanks, I'd attend!
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Thank you 1sttimestar! perhaps the taxidermy forum sponsor PRO Taxidermy will give you some instruction, he is located there.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

An update to the class.
    Firstly I want to thank those who attended and stuck with me until I was able to get a bear!
    It was such an unusual spring it took a while to obtain a small bear that I could freeze whole, until the class. A special thanks to a 'unnamed' forum member for getting me the 'perfect' bear! If he wants to chime in and take credit I would be grateful

Originally I was asking for folks to pay an 'attendance' fee (at the suggestion of others but against my own thoughts on the matter, because I really want to just be able to show folks how to take care of their hard earned trophy - no matter what taxidermist they use). Everyone who attended did so at no cost and any classes I have in the future will also be given at no cost.

The class was video taped by a professional videoographer and I should have dvd's available at the shop for $2 each if the editing goes well.. (to cover cost of the dvd).

As I mentioned in another thread, I also hope to work with a local reindeer farm to be able to have a caping class later this summer. Stay tuned for updates on that! Also, I wouldn't mind doing another bear skinning class this fall if anyone wants to harvest another small black bear I can easily put in the freezer.

Juli
    Taxidermy IS art!

Thanks Juli. I will definitely be interested in the DVD. Would have liked to be there. Hopefully in the future...... :-)

The class was very informative and well presented. The DVD should be interesting and well worth picking up. Thanks Juli for sharing your knowledge with us. I will be watching for any other classes you offer. Also I want to say that your shop has got to be the cleanest most well organized taxidermy shop I have seen. Great job.

Thank you Halibut Chaser!
    Taxidermy IS art!

JuliW,
    When is this years class?
    I wish I would have caught this post last year