Thread: Sitka deer

Default Sitka deer

I am just wondering if I could get some info from you guys on where a good place to go black tail hunting would be besides Kodiak?

prince william sound
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

If budget is a concern, then a drop hunt in Prince William Sound would be the way to go. If trophy quality is what you're looking for, check out Southeast Alaska. Do some searches through the old threads here and you will find copious information detailing the differences between the areas.

Why, is it pretty cheap for a drop in hunt in Prince William Sound?

Sure it is, just take your PFD and put it back into the economy for a hunting trip.. The state Pays you to hunt every year. Enjoy.

Well, not really cheap, but you can drive to either Valdez or Whittier to hop on the boat. For Kodiak or Southeast you'll also be looking at a plane ticket.

Are there any deer on the coast near Valdez? I see that there is a season in the regs...???

Thanks for all the great info Jeffster.

I'd agree with PWS...had a doe right outside the Culross cabin 2 mornings 2 weeks ago. Be advised...it's rain forest tight in them there hills!

Thumbs up

Ok was teasing a bit, so here ya go. My 2 cents. Drive to Homer and take the Ferry to kodiak. Take your truck and load it up. I will assume you are Military so stay on the Coast guard Base. Make reservations and buy your food at the commisary of course. Either hunt the road system/ Hike out or get someone or find someone to drop you off in a boat. Rent a Zodiak from MWR. Google Earth is your friend, study it and the Maps. Split it with a few partners and the price should keep you below a grand each easy. Alaska and cheap do not go together, but as I said use your PFD each year for one good trip and pick one species a year. Don't spread yourself too thin. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Are there any deer on the coast near Valdez? I see that there is a season in the regs...???
    Do you mean within walking distance of the road system in Valdez? Nope. Well...as I understand it, Valdez is similar to Whittier in that tracks have been seen close to town (and maybe a few deer?), but they're not there in huntable numbers. As a rule of thumb, the islands are better than the mainland out in the Sound. Hinchinbrook and Montague are the best known for sheer numbers of deer, but they are present on many other islands as well. Hunting the coast on foot from either Valdez or Whittier, while legal, isn't really a viable option.

Here is another Idea. Since you are already up North, go to Haines take the Ferry from there and hunt One of the major islands In the South East. Enough logging roads to Hike/drive. If you have a Wheeler all the better take it also. Just not on a trailer as I that will cost you more.