Thread: 2014 Scotland to Alaska Late AUGUST To EARLY September Bi Annual Trip

Default 2014 Scotland to Alaska Late AUGUST To EARLY September Bi Annual Trip

Hi.Thanks for all the help we have had in the past This fourum has helped so much planing our previous trips to Alaska.
    Ok our normal trips are late july into August from Homer up to Talkeetna.This year it looks like we will have to make it later in the year
    due to work comitments etc.
    So the plan is to fish the same area the keani pen upto talkeetna and clear creek. Just wondring what the fishing is like at this time of the season,what we should be expecting to catch and the best methods.
    OH and sadly we will miss the Hope summer Festival this year so any local info on Festivals we could attend would be cool by the way we we are big cooks fans.
    Thanks Graham

Ok Guys There has been a bit of a date change Our trip now looks like Early to late August .Not sure how to edit my post.
    Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by fearnot View Post
    Ok Guys There has been a bit of a date change Our trip now looks like Early to late August .Not sure how to edit my post.
    Graham.
    The Coho (hopefully) and pinks should be showing in good numbers in the Kenai and in the streams up the parks Hwy to Talkeetna. The Coho and Pinks should also be doing well in the Resurrection Bay out of Seward at that time.

That's good news Old John.
    We have never fished for slivers before so hopefully we will find them somewhere along the way.would I be right in thinking that the crowds will be less and the chances of bows and dollies on the fly will be good?
    Thanks Graham .

Silvers are a blast to catch and better to eat. As for the crowds, usually less depending where you go. Also word of advise for fishing silvers....early bird gets the worm. I usually try to be on the river by 5:00am. They bite hard usually as the sun is starting to come up then seems to slow down around 8:00-10:00am depending on the day. I have seen some mornings where they bite like mad for hours and some days only for 30 minutes. So its best to be on the water fishing just before the sun comes up.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

That early to mid August time frame is ideal for catching lunker bows on the Parks Hwy and Clear Creek. Look for spawning kings, and you'll usually find bows. Clear is awesome that time o year, if it hasn't rained too much. Silvers and chums in the lower river (silvers are better liked for eating, chums fight harder) and bows and dollies in the upper river, if you hike and cross the river a bunch. You can use traditional flies and catch fish, but to really put a hurting on the bows use beads or egg patterns like glo bugs.

Ok thanks for the heads up guys cant wait now. I was thinking that north up the parks at the start of the trip and head south towards the kenai /russain about mid trip .Then south to deep creek anchor then a halibut trip from homer would be the best way round to do things( river levels permiting ) Any thoughts on this ?
    Whats the thoughts on a 1 day float down willow and a 2 day float down the little su? Ive read about these in flyfishing Alaska .

If you plan on actually floating and not paddling you may want to consider the Little Su a 3 day trip,not 2 day. That is if you plan on floating from Parks to Burma.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    If you plan on actually floating and not paddling you may want to consider the Little Su a 3 day trip,not 2 day. That is if you plan on floating from Parks to Burma.
    Thanks for the info AllAlaskan 3 days sounds to long we have lots on our to do list might research the ione day float/paddle down Willow.
    Regards Graham