Thread: Why is there a limit on private messages?

Default Why is there a limit on private messages?

I got another notification to clear space in my inbox from private messaging someone today. It's easy for me to clear space or archive messages, but it's hard/confusing for some people. As a webmaster/programmer myself I'm curious if there's a reason for the cap. Surely the disk space occupied by private messages is tiny compared to the images people upload here every day, not to mention public posts. Is it just a default setting on the forum, or is there a reason behind it? If it's just a default, could we get it changed?
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Yes, you'd think. But no this site allows practically no photo storage as well.

I'm not them, but in their defense , their server is an extremely fassst one, connected directly to large Internet trunk lines - - Thus, the expensive part for them to give space to users.

You might notice this site is like lightning fast, despite its use of COTS forum software that goes to the work of making dynamically created pages for you at every click.

Lucky to have free accounts at all I think.

You can get more PM storage space. But you have to buy an annual subscription to the site. Thus, the limitation is there to entice you to pay money to the site. And that's all it's there for, as you know the amount of SQL space that your few PM messages takes up is nothing compared to the thousands upon thousands of postings in the threads themselves.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You can get more PM storage space. But you have to buy an annual subscription to the site.

Ah, that makes sense. Can't fault them for that, we all need to make a living. I didn't realize it was a subscriber benefit.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Troutnut View Post
    Ah, that makes sense. Can't fault them for that, we all need to make a living. I didn't realize it was a subscriber benefit.[/COLOR]
    I don't think it has anything to do with making a living, it has to do with paying the bills. These sites aren't free to keep online.

Hi folks,

Icebear (Pam) mentioned this thread to me this evening and thought I should comment. To be honest, I just returned from a long trip a couple of weeks ago and am still trying to come up for air!

The regular forum member account (the free one) gives you storage for 50 private messages, 100 photos and a 1MB limit on photos in posts. We double that for Supporting Members, which costs you $35 / year, and for Premium Members you get 500 private messages, 500 pics, and an unlimited MB for photos in posts for $65 / year. If you're interested in upgrading, give Icebear a call at 1 (907) 895-4919 and she can open the gate for you. If times are tight for you, we've got you covered with the free membership.

We have not announced it yet, but we have some MAJOR upgrades coming for our paid members over the next year, and we will keep the membership fee the same. We will post announcements as each of these perks are launched; we think you're really going to like it!

You guys nailed it; we offer the paid memberships for folks who want to give something back, for what we are providing at a fairly high cost. We do have a heavy server load and the site keeps growing. We have doubled in size in the last four years. I think last year we had around 6.9 million unique visitors, if I remember correctly. That might have been for 2012, though. I haven't looked recently. Anyway it's a lot of traffic, but our folks keep it zipping along pretty good and on your end it's nearly seamless. That's our goal. "No speed bumps on this information highway!"

As to the finances, we would love to see more of you in the paid membership program! We are mostly supported by advertising, but everything helps us keep it all up and running. I don't personally make a living from this and have a couple of other jobs besides this, to keep my own light bill paid. Hmmm... maybe we need to do a better job of publicizing the memberships...

Interested in the paid membership program? Find out more about it AT THIS LINK. That link takes you outside the forums to the rest of the site, so while you're out there, try rolling over some of the menu items at the top of the pages (the pull-down menus don't work in our forums yet). You might be pleasantly surprised to see some of the content we have in there for you, again, for free! Check it out!

We really appreciate your participation here and we value every person, registered or not, and whether or not they post. It takes all of us to make it work, and we are grateful for you!

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay