Thread: Lanterns and Head Lamps Lumens and bang for the buck

Default Lanterns and Head Lamps Lumens and bang for the buck

Thought I would share a little information. Over the years being in the Outfitting business everyone ask for a gear list or a list of recommended products that being said I use to issue out Lanterns in all sizes with all types of fuel requirements. Now as of this year 100% straight LED battery operated Lanterns and or head lamps and or a combination of them both is what we will be carrying.

I am not endorsing this product just sharing information:

Streamlight has come out with two lights that In My Opinion are hard to live without a 340 Lumens Lantern and a 500 Lumens head lamp

Information is listed in this Link.

http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/mar...et.html?mkid=4

The Siege®
    The Siege®
    Multiple modes:
    White LED (four C4® LEDs) with cover removed:
    Red LED (one red LED)
    Polycarbonate glare-reducing cover provides soft, even 360° light distribution; comfortable to use in close quarters without impairing vision; cover is removable to illuminate large areas
    Stand it upright or to use as an overhead light or hang it with D-ring on base of lantern
    Incorporated D-rings on top and bottom of lantern - hang in either inverted or upright positions. They are spring-loaded to stow against the light, out of the way when not in use.

Designed for maximum illumination with a wide beam to light an entire area
    Features TEN-TAP™ programming, which allows the user to select one of three different programs:
    High/medium/low (factory default)
    High only
    Low/medium/high
    Three lighting modes:
    High for super-bright light with far-reaching beam distance
    Medium for bright light and longer run times
    Low for extended run times and when a less intense beam is ideal
    Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life

When you can produce more light with less power and stay away from additional fuel requirements you increase safety and save on weight and as well all know as float hunters / fisher people and or just rec users that is very important.

This year I took up night xcrossing skiing and could not believe what 500 Lumens of Head Lamp without the weight could do heck I was afraid to ski towards a road for fear of blinding drivers!!!! I have tried several models in the 200 Lumens range and was impressed but HOLY CRAP 500 Lumens is down right scary!

Fairbanks Local Dealer for Streamlight product that I have found were at Arctic Fire and Safety. Reasonable pricing to boot. In fact I was bummed when I paid 89 bucks for me 200 lumen head lamp and then found the Streamlight for 99.00 with over twice the light.

As stated not endorsing the product just very very very impressed with the quality and the price and most of all the LIGHT capability versus weight ratio. That and the amount of hours it can be used prior to changing out the batteries even in cold weather.

Regards

RMM

Good non-endorsement Moose, Will definitely have to check them out.

Thanks

so what kind of burn time do you get with the headlamp on the different settings?

I see it. That is really impressive. I have a 400lumen browning spotlight that let us go up the little sue on step in the darkness last fall.

The HL® Series has gone hands free! When your task requires both hands and a bright light with a wide, flood beam, reach for the ProTac HL Headlamp. It produces 540 lumens of light that reaches 172 meters.

• Designed for maximum illumination with a wide beam to light an entire area
    • Features TEN-TAP™ programming, which allows the user to select one of three different programs:
      1. High/medium/low (factory default)
      2. High only
      3. Low/medium/high

• Three lighting modes:
      • High for super-bright light with far-reaching beam distance; 540 lumens, 7,400 candela; 172m beam distance; runs 1.75 hours
      • Medium for bright light and longer run times; 95 lumens,1,200 candela; 69m beam distance; runs 8 hours
      • Low for extended run times and when a less intense beam is ideal; 18 lumens; 250 candela; 31m beam distance; runs 36 hours

• Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life
    • 90 degree tilting head reduces neck fatigue