Thread: Morel Season

Default Morel Season

They are here in Anchorage. I'm cooking them as I type.
    Last year when I tried to dry some the bugs hatched and made mush
    Does anyone dry them up here or how does one preserve them. Thinking about a saline soak and then dry?
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/IMG_1284.jpg

I'd ask where you found them, but mushroom pickers are almost as secretive about their spots as sheep hunters are. Well, not quite....but close. I think I'm going to try the Point MacKenzie burn in a few days, but the first spot I picked this past week was almost a complete bust.

I hate eating the things, but love picking them for my mother. She dries them using a dehydrator, and I don't think she uses anything else for prep.

Default What it means to me

Morels and fresh walleye with some butter, that is spring time (although morels and suckers are good to on the que). Lower Michigan seemed to have not have as many this year.

Ron

Default Drying morels. . .

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post
    They are here in Anchorage. I'm cooking them as I type.
    Last year when I tried to dry some the bugs hatched and made mush
    Does anyone dry them up here or how does one preserve them. Thinking about a saline soak and then dry?
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...n/IMG_1284.jpg
    Back in Michigan, we used to pick enough in the spring to put up for all year. We dried them in a big—30" X 30" X 36" high—homemade dryer. All we did was cut them in half lengthways and lay them on screens in the dryer. Did just fine. Maybe you're not drying yours quickly enough? Our dryer was heated with light bulbs and had openings at the bottom in front and at the top in back to allow for free, flow-through ventilation.

By the way, yours look wet in the photo. Don't wash them before drying.

Default Picked some...

We picked some on our air strip 2 nights ago.
    You could take 'em if you are close to Fairbanks because I am not a mushroom fan.
    They DO smell good, though.

I posted the pic below on the 'using a dehydrator' thread. We dry our morels on a screen rack in the greenhouse. You can also do it on open air racks in warm weather. Some morels will have the bugs in them when you pick them; it's an age thing and they are wet and rotting, so you don't want to keep those ones. We also don't get the morels wet before drying. And we mostly leave them whole. They don't take long to dry to a crisp, then we baggie them up as in the picture. They last a long time this way and are easy to rehydrate before cooking and eating.

Default Thx for the replies

guys. I will check for bugs, keep them dry and dehydrate them a little faster.
    The picture in the hothouse helps alot, Mark.

If I hit a motherlode I'll show yall. Ben

Default Nothing...

..at 2 of my spots. One has been clear cut and bull dozed. The one place I did get to tramp seemed dry.

I have always rinsed mine. For over 40 years now. The ones for the pan get halved right then. The others I string up like popcorn w/ a needle and thread. Depending on how many I have determines where I hang them.

Never tried the greenhouse, but if I get that lucky, I will this year.
    Well, if the sun ever returns and heats it up again. If not, then back to the furnace room.

Good to see the pics. It really is spring now.
    Keepin' a sharp eye here boss.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it