Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: From Seward to Valdez

  1. #1
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default From Seward to Valdez

    Im new to the salt water, I just bought my 3288 located at Seward and will be bringing her to Valdez in the spring! Does anyone k.ow how long this will take and when the best time to do this? I was thinking early June? Please clue me in!!

  2. #2
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    A quick n dirty path on google earth is 175-200 miles. That size of boat I'd say the best time is when you can do the most fishing.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  3. #3
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    June should be fine, just pick your weather days and have some cushion room in your schedule if weather moves in. Of course mid-end of May is good bear hunting as well.

  4. #4
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Congrats on the new boat. You could do it in 2 days if you really wanted to just get there and had smooth water. I'd turn that into a 5-7 day trip if I were you and had a boat like that. Have fun and do some exploring. Get the Lethcoe's Cruising Guide. Mid-May through mid-July is the best time for flat(ter) water and better weather.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    198

    Default Legs?

    I have no idea what your fuel capacity or burn rate is. However, that would be the first thing I'd figure out. That's especially true if you choose to explore as others suggest. I try to stick with the Thirds rule; one third of my fuel going out, one third for getting back, with a third held back for the unexpected.

    After you leave Resurrection Bay, the next dependable place to get fuel is Whittier and that's a bit out of the way if you're headed to Valdez. Do not count on getting fuel at the village of Chenega; they have a limited supply and need it for themselves.

    Sounds like an amazing trip. Have fun.

  6. #6
    Member Cap'n Ron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Idaho/Valdez
    Posts
    980

    Default

    I highly suggest a shake down cruise (better yet---several) before you attempt the trip from Seward to Valdez. You could encounter some big seas unexpectedly and you want to become very familiar with your boat...especially as you say you are new to saltwater. Some friends of mine did that trip and encountered some unexpected 10-12 foot seas coming out of Resurrection into the Gulf. I hope you have good electronics! Can be a very enjoyable trip if you plan and prepare for it. You might consider bringing someone along that has been in the salt a bunch and knows something of the route. And for sure, don't do it alone. Three people is always best, so that two are making decisions and providing backup and security in case something happens to one. Don't mean to try to be negative or alarming, but you said this is all new to you. And by all means do get the Lethcoe's "Cruising Prince William Sound"...you might find it on this forum's bookstore, if they are out try a local bookstore, or the UAF Bookstore at the Museum of the North on Fairbanks campus. Or ebay or wherever, but get it! And...then have a great time and enjoy the boat.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Petersburg
    Posts
    98

    Default

    I have a 32XX as well. Great boats, we really enjoy ours. Lots of variables to consider. The idea of shake down cruises is very valid. I think I'd spend the first month or so of the season getting familiar with the boat and how it handles. Speeds and fuel burn rates need to be established for planning. As an example my average burn is about 3 gph per engine with a cruise of 8-10 kts. A good resource for plotting your trip is ActiveCaptain. Sign yourself up with the free registration and check out the interactive cruising guidebook. Lots of info on that site. Should be a great trip, watch the weather, don't rush and enjoy it.

  8. #8
    Member tzieli22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Capt n Ron is right on. Just want to watch the weather and seas. You really should have two major areas of concern. First being coming out of the bay as you pass cap res, as you head into the gulf you have yourselves exposed for 40 miles till you hit Montigue island. Take the inside passage and you'll be in cover till you hit the other end of Monitigue, which can be your 2nd area to watch for ruff water, bare left to Valdez. I run out of Seward and have made this trip but to hitchenbrook Is. At 20mph you can make it in a day. And I've weathered through 26 hours of 10' to 20' seas. Not fun if you can help it....

    Also being your new to saltwater, due several shakedowns as mentioned. You've "got" to know your boat, it's capabilities and your fuel burn rate. I'd be happy to help you with what I know and have learned if we meet up in Seward sometime. Starting in April I basically am there most weekends.

    Good luck and welcome to the salt... Would also be curious why your moving to Valdez unless you live there. Seward is pretty nice w/plenty to do.
    Tony

  9. #9
    Member Roger45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    966

    Default

    One of my most favorite places on earth!!! I am jealous of your upcoming adventure. I absolutely love Calrose Pass (?sp) and Bainbridge Pass, those are on the Seward side of your trip. You can head out and hit a lot of open seas, but if you have the time, stay close to shore and head the coast, staying relatively close to the mainland for a ways before heading East. I can't remember the name of the book, but there is a book that has every safe anchor spot in PWS as well as info on each area. I bought one at the boat shop across the street from Costco in Los Anchorage a few years back as a Christmas gift. Well worth the money IMHO. Enjoy the trip. If you head out in May (bearbaiting start I think), the waters can be great, but lots of snow on the ground and not much chance to get out and explore. The later in the summer, the less snow. Great fishing any time!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage and Seward
    Posts
    506

    Default

    As others have suggested do a few shake down cruises first and get out past Cape Res to see what it does in the lumpy stuff. This will tell you how good your fuel quality is when it gets shook up a bit. I helped a friend bring his 32 Bayliner up from Seattle to Juneau a while back and wound up spending a lot of time changing out fuel filters when we hit the slop in the Straight of Georgia. Bring a bunch of filters along with you, you may need them (I'm assuming yours is diesel as most of the 32's are). And take some time on this trip. There's some good halibut and feeder king salmon fishing along the way. The Lethcoe's guide is the bible for getting into some of the good anchorages along the way so be sure you have that along as suggested. If I remember from my friends boat, 200 miles will be pushing it for your range if you cruise up at the normal 15 kts so you might want to slow down to save fuel for some exploring along the way or bring a couple of 15 gallon barrels. We wound up running out of fuel on one of the tanks coming into the Ketchikan fuel float after a run of ~225+ miles at cruise speed so getting some good fuel burn numbers with your shake down cruising will also help out with planning your trip. Others with your boat and engines may give you some better ideas on range and you might check the Bayliner forum too for tips. Enjoy, it will be a great trip with a little preparation.

  11. #11
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Bayliner stop by my booth at the Fairbanks Outdoors Show i'll have copies of the Cruising Guide to PWS at the show along with all the shrimping gear you'll need.
    cruising guide to pws.jpg

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  12. #12
    Member AK Fishkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Did you buy the Christy J?? If so I know she has been well taken care of and would have no problem jumping on her and heading to Valdez, take your time and enjoy the trip!!
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

  13. #13
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    Another vote for a shake down cruise or two to get familiar with the boat. No matter how well taken care of the boat is, you'll be your most exposed leaving Resserection Bay at the beginning of the trip and that's not really the best place to be getting familiar with a new boat if you have large swells coming out of the Gulf.

    As far as how long the trip will take, I'd plan on spending a week. Once you've got the boat in Valdez you're not likely going to be exploring the Southern end of the Sound, so I'd take advantage of being in that part of the Sound to explore it. June or July should have excellent fishing and odds are the weather will be favorable.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

    If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

  14. #14
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default

    yes i did buy the christy j!! I cant wait to take her out! You say that you know of her?? I will have many years to enjoy her then!!

  15. #15
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thank You everybody for all the input!!! I will head to all warnings!! I am currently on the slope for the winter season and will be studying all i can on The waters of PWS, I will post tomorrow the electronics that i have so maybe all can elaborate on what i have or what else i will need again thanks for the input to ALL!!

  16. #16
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thank you for the info!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Another vote for a shake down cruise or two to get familiar with the boat. No matter how well taken care of the boat is, you'll be your most exposed leaving Resserection Bay at the beginning of the trip and that's not really the best place to be getting familiar with a new boat if you have large swells coming out of the Gulf.

    As far as how long the trip will take, I'd plan on spending a week. Once you've got the boat in Valdez you're not likely going to be exploring the Southern end of the Sound, so I'd take advantage of being in that part of the Sound to explore it. June or July should have excellent fishing and odds are the weather will be favorable.

  17. #17
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Yes I bought the Christy J about a month ago!! I cannot wait to get her in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Fishkiller View Post
    Did you buy the Christy J?? If so I know she has been well taken care of and would have no problem jumping on her and heading to Valdez, take your time and enjoy the trip!!

  18. #18
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I sent you an email with my phone number! I would like to buy your book! My boat comes with 5 almost new shrimp pots so i think i will be good in that department for a little while!
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Bayliner stop by my booth at the Fairbanks Outdoors Show i'll have copies of the Cruising Guide to PWS at the show along with all the shrimping gear you'll need.
    cruising guide to pws.jpg

  19. #19
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Thank you for the Info!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Witch View Post
    As others have suggested do a few shake down cruises first and get out past Cape Res to see what it does in the lumpy stuff. This will tell you how good your fuel quality is when it gets shook up a bit. I helped a friend bring his 32 Bayliner up from Seattle to Juneau a while back and wound up spending a lot of time changing out fuel filters when we hit the slop in the Straight of Georgia. Bring a bunch of filters along with you, you may need them (I'm assuming yours is diesel as most of the 32's are). And take some time on this trip. There's some good halibut and feeder king salmon fishing along the way. The Lethcoe's guide is the bible for getting into some of the good anchorages along the way so be sure you have that along as suggested. If I remember from my friends boat, 200 miles will be pushing it for your range if you cruise up at the normal 15 kts so you might want to slow down to save fuel for some exploring along the way or bring a couple of 15 gallon barrels. We wound up running out of fuel on one of the tanks coming into the Ketchikan fuel float after a run of ~225+ miles at cruise speed so getting some good fuel burn numbers with your shake down cruising will also help out with planning your trip. Others with your boat and engines may give you some better ideas on range and you might check the Bayliner forum too for tips. Enjoy, it will be a great trip with a little preparation.

  20. #20
    Member Bayliner3288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I live in Delta Junction but so home port will be Valdez, I would love to touch bases with you and get whatever info i can from you!! My boat is at storm chasers, How can i contact you??
    Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    Capt n Ron is right on. Just want to watch the weather and seas. You really should have two major areas of concern. First being coming out of the bay as you pass cap res, as you head into the gulf you have yourselves exposed for 40 miles till you hit Montigue island. Take the inside passage and you'll be in cover till you hit the other end of Monitigue, which can be your 2nd area to watch for ruff water, bare left to Valdez. I run out of Seward and have made this trip but to hitchenbrook Is. At 20mph you can make it in a day. And I've weathered through 26 hours of 10' to 20' seas. Not fun if you can help it....

    Also being your new to saltwater, due several shakedowns as mentioned. You've "got" to know your boat, it's capabilities and your fuel burn rate. I'd be happy to help you with what I know and have learned if we meet up in Seward sometime. Starting in April I basically am there most weekends.

    Good luck and welcome to the salt... Would also be curious why your moving to Valdez unless you live there. Seward is pretty nice w/plenty to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •