Thread: Game carts and mountain bikes

Default Game carts and mountain bikes

I see hunters who have made cargo trailers from children's bike trailers and various other adapted trailers that attach to the rear axle region. Most of these are limited to 125# cargo capacity or less. I would live to know if anyone has hitched a standard gamecart to the seat post or a rear rack and hauled heavier loads in the 200# range. I have used the kid's trailers to haul up to 125# loads at China.

BOB YAK trailers have taken substantially heavier. I know a couple guys who took a moose out on two. Really. Pretty well smoked the trailers but it worked.

I don't really use mine anymore. I hauled a couple texas deer whole on it. Not a lot of use.

Rei is $360. You can have mine for $250. Its in new condition. PM me if you want it.

long range recovery systems down in vancouver wa makes some dandy post hitch type trailers also cycle tote out of colorado makes a very nice trailer

Quote Originally Posted by READYPRO1 View Post
    long range recovery systems down in vancouver wa makes some dandy post hitch type trailers also cycle tote out of colorado makes a very nice trailer
    Thanks for info

Yes, Thanx ReadyPro1!

Wonder if any of those trailers could accept fat-tire sized wheels (26 x 3.7-4.8") for better flotation on wet & muddy trails or over snow?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I hooked a game cart to my mtb, and it was a disaster. Loaded a moose out on a well used trail/ road and any uphill or rocky area i stopped due the combined weight and drag was too much for me, basically every couple hundred meters. I ended up, un hooking the cart and pulling it my self then went back for the bike, and another load. The cart had about 250lbs. If it had been a smooth trail and not alot of hills i think it could have worked. I will look and see if i have any pics, but it was a hunt that i really want to forget about.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been working on this bike trailer/game cart for a few hunts I have in mind for this coming fall. I am still testing it out but it seems do do good with #150 so far.
    lostinthewoods experience sounds consistent with what I heard from others regarding the bike being more of a liability once the cart is loaded with meat. I think I have convinced myself to leave the bike home and just use the cart as a game cart for the walk-in caribou hunt with rough trails and lots of up and down. If others have input on solutions for this problem I would like to hear them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did a bicycle hunt a few years back. It was an unbelievable trip. I used a bob trailer and would not for the life of me recommend using one for a hunt. I only had gear and half of a caribou in it and it just plain stunk. It always wanted to tip over and that caused the bike to be unstable. I found this website that has bike trailer kits and I think I will make one of these if I ever go again.
    http://www.wicycle.com/index.php/pro...icycle-trailer

I also ran across this youtube video which looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jj3nb0dyMk
    Whatever you choose, make sure it's a double wheeled cart. That gives you stability which is highly desirable when pulling your hard earned game.
    Good luck
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I've done the Chitina trail with a mountain bike a couple of times and I've hunted small game quite a lot.

The BoB trailer is a pretty good concept, but once the weight gets up to about 50lbs or so the trailer really has a tendency to push you around. Even on a flat, hard pack road the trailer tends to overpower the bike on curves.

The two wheeled trailers are more stable, but if the trail has a lot of obstructions and is narrow they just bounce along hitting stuff.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit