Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Outdoors Alaska Kitchen: A Compilation of Recipes

Default The Outdoors Alaska Kitchen: A Compilation of Recipes

Recipes have always been a big hit on the Alaska Outdoors Supersite(tm). There are many of them, and they get viewed a lot. In addition to members, people from all over the world are checking in for Alaska outdoors related recipes shared online by members of this community.

If Internet viewers are this interested in these recipes, there are undoubtedly many, many others offline that have not checked in that will be interested as well, so we have taken the first steps toward developing our first community cookbook. This cookbook will be printed in full color on quality paper. It will be one that you will want for your own kitchen, and it will be available for sale both on the website and in stores. Fishing author Bernard Rosenberg (Alaska Fishing on a Budget, Kodiak Fishing at any Angle) will be publishing the book.

We invite you to join the project! We’ll soon be asking for original recipes and quality pictures for the work’s development. Contributors whose recipes or images are printed will be recognized in the book, and two dozen signed first editions will be given away free to contributors via a prize drawing. All community members will be able to purchase the book at lower-than-retail price through the Outdoors Alaska Store when it becomes available.

Our working title is The Outdoors Alaska Kitchen: A Compilation of Recipes from the Alaska Outdoors Supersite™ Community.

More on this project soon.

David

Default Pantry pictures...

If you've noted our webmaster's announcemet, we have a fine concept to bring you an outstanding cookbook down the road that is truly YOURS.

More details are forthcoming, but for now if you are cooking and preparing AK food, please consider to start taking picures of what you do.

Draw your images close and keep them unclutterred. That's the best tip in publication.

If you would like me to call you personally about the concept or your inclusion, just send me your number and the dime is on me!

More later...

Bernard Rosenberg; publisher
    http:www.alaskanauthor.com
    alaskanauthor@comcast.net

Default I have a slight problem with this...

Bernie,

I have a minor problem with using the work of others, without renumeration, in a book project designed for profit. I'm not sure if this is a for-profit endeavor or not, but I assume it is. Say you guys publish this and you and David end up making a few grand...how is it fair to your contributors not to share those profits? The cookbook sounds like a great idea, and likely lots of folks would love to see their photo or name in print, but I am not at all enamored with basically using others' ideas/pictures/recipes in order to make money for oneself. Neither am I enamored with the offshore publishing so prevalent today that takes jobs from American companies and publishers, many whom have gone under because they can not compete with cheap Asian labor.

So before you continue on with this, if you could just answer a few questions:
    Where will this book be printed?
    Who will profit from it?
    Do you think it is fair not to pay contributors?

Thanks, (and P.S. are the pictures we post here the property of David and ODD, and can you or will you use any recipes or pictures posted here without our consent?)

Smile Good questions. . .

Good questions. I too would like to hear the answers.

Thanks. . .

Smile Symbiosis

Thanks for asking, Bushrat. These are good questions and deserve honest answers. Sorry about the delay; my son and I were hooligan fishing.

Years ago during the time I published the Outdoors Alaska Directory of Hunting and Fishing, another publisher wryly told me that the usual way to make a small fortune in the publishing business is to start with a large one. We found that to be the case with our book; sales paid our out-of-pocket expenses, but almost none of our time. As with any business, you don’t always make money; but that is the way of it with capitalism.

So, yes, Bernard and I hope to make some money to cover the time and effort we put into this. If we have estimated the market correctly, maybe we’ll even make some profit; perhaps even a few grand, as you suggested….could be half a trip to Hawaii for two or so. If we have guessed it wrong, we’ll wind up with boxes of books that don’t sell.

How do contributors and the community as a whole benefit? I suggest the benefit accrues in two primary ways and some lesser: 1) The book is an opportunity to share with a wider audience the Alaska that we love through recipes and pictures; and 2) This is an opportunity to showcase the Alaska Outdoors Supersite community, which I hope will encourage others to join us.

We will also faithfully attribute each recipe and picture to the author, either by screen name/location, real name/location or whatever identification the contributor and we can agree upon. We intend to give away some free copies of the book (perhaps to a panel-judged best n recipes / images; not sure yet), and I am going to offer the book to community members through the Outdoors Alaska Store at less than retail cost.

We talked about giving away copies of the book to contributors, but a few hundred contributions X the cost of the books + postage + labor to ship = unsupportable costs. We don’t want to promise something that would probably lead us into negative profit, or take years to recoup.

To answer your specific questions:
    • The book will probably be printed in China…..just as blue jeans, shoes, light bulbs, computers, cars, and thousands of other things Americans use every day are purchased from other parts of the world. This is not an issue we are going to be able to solve here, Mark. What it comes down to is we’re going to print in China because printing in the U.S. increases the risk of financial loss.
    • If we’ve estimated the market correctly, Bernard Rosenberg and the Alaska Outdoors Supersite will profit. If not, we won't pass the hat here to make up our losses.
    • Is it fair not to pay contributors? As I explained above, we haven’t been able to figure out a way to pay contributors with dollars or product. I suggested some intangible benefits and a save-money benefit for community members. So, I suggest that we are providing some benefit for contributors, even `tho it will not be financially. Certainly, we’ll pressure no one to contribute, although I hope many will for the reasons outlined here.
    • The contents of the Alaska Outdoors Supersite are copyrighted. While I have never explicitly said so, I have always felt that my holding of the copyright is for the protection of content that I have generated, and also as a mechanism to protect the contributions of others in the community. I have not used this content outside the website, and neither Bernard nor I would do so in this case without the express permission of the author / photographer.
    There’s a larger issue here, too, and that is what I would call the symbiotic relationship of the business and the community that surrounds it. As I see it, Outdoors America Communications (our company) provides the seedbed, the community plants and is nourished by the growth, people are attracted to the growth, we sell books and other products and harvest advertising and other revenue.

To the extent that we are successful in creating a sustainable business using this symbiotic relationship, the substrate for community will remain and flourish. For that to happen, we have to make sufficient revenue both for ourselves and enough so that the next guy, when the time comes, will look at this, see a viable business opportunity, and want to continue and build. I see this book as part of this symbiotic relationship.

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-02-2007 at 12:59. Reason: Added information on symbiotic relationship

Thumbs up Capitalism

Congratulations on, IMO, a great idea and what capitalism is all about.

If I have anything to share I would be happy to provide recipes.

kingfisherktn

Default More on the use of recipes and photos

Just to make sure I have explained clearly, we will not use recipes or images that have already been shared or may be shared in the future by community members in this cookbook without the expressly granted permission of the author or photographer.

If you want to share recipes or images but not participate in the community cookbook (or other possible future projects), that's no problem. We won't use them without asking and gaining your permission.

David

Default thanks for the reply

David, thanks for the detailed reply. I've sent you and Bernie a private note on this. Thanks also for clarifying that you won't use what we post here without permission.
    Best,

Fantastic idea...can't think of a better team to put something like this together....David..the father of one of the most succesful websites of its type on the internet teaming up with one of the most credible authors and promotors of Alaska! Just hope said book won't be too many years in the making!

Default Thanks!

Your support is well appreciated!

As soon as we devise our templates for submissions and permissions, we'll be on our way.

Publication will be dependent upon how longs it takes to gather information and then collate it. Editing is another nightmare. Negotiations with the printer, ISBN registration, shipment, customs, and then storage are in a world of their own.

If it was a print on demand (POD) product produced in the USA, it would be easy. However those services are so cost-prohibitive it would put the price of the book out of the comfort zone of any kitchen, and that is not something we wish to do.

I cooked up an outstanding boullabaise two days ago that went all the way from home chicken stock to the silvers of Kodiak and the King Crab of the Bearing Sea. Served on a bed of linguini it just didn't last. Darn! I didn't even take a picture!

My guess is that we might have the book ready in 24 months dependent on how it goes...

http:www.alaskanauthor.com

Talking hope you will be using spellcheck in the book <grin>

It is "Bering sea" named after Vitus Bering, not his compass.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Don't see how that had any bearing on the discussion at hand.

Sorry, had to do it.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Wink you are right, i'm sorry.

but i suppose if Bernie actually lived in Alaska he would have gotten it right the first time.
    none of my recipes will ever be published in an "Alaskan" cookbook written by a Floridian and published in China.

Oh, I dunno Dave, it sounds no different than reading a book about Alaska Fishing, written by a non-resident, and then booking a charter with an Alaskan Guide, who lives in Washington State, and fishing with a rod and reel made in Taiwan.

Conflict, shmonflict....<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Smile What's new?

What can or what will this proposed cookbook add to the over-50,000-copies-sold, Alaskan classic, 500-page, Cooking Alaskan by Alaskans (Alaska Northwest Books, 10th printing 1996)?

I know at least half the recipes I've submitted here either came from Cooking Alaskan by Alaskans or was slightly modified therefrom.

How are you, David and AA, proposing to appeal to a market pretty well saturated with Alaska cookbooks, Alaska salmon cookbooks, Alaska halibut cookbooks, etc., which are carried at nearly every supermarket checkout, bookstore, and more in Alaska, not to mention the huge, classic, Cooking Alaskan by Alaskans?

What will make me want to purchase the new book?

Do you figure forum readers constitute an adequate market to make the venture's risk worthwhile—that perhaps we'll buy the book for the same reasons churches, families, and more put out recipe collections in spiral-bound cookbooks? What kind of binding and cover do you plan for the book—hardcover, soft-cover, sewn binding, glossy paper?

Thumbs up yep, "cooking alaskan" is the best...

always checking it for canning times, temperature guidelines and so forth.
    we have a couple salmon cookbooks we like too, but mostly we just peruse them for inspiration, rarely do i adhere to a recipe per se.

Smile Why to buy THIS cookbook

Well, first of all you will want to buy it because the recipes come from your forum buddies and it's put together by Bernard and me.

I mean, Cooking Alaskan by Alaskans is great (I have one, too), but do you actually know anyone of those who contributed? Hmmm....better be careful here....some of you probably DO know some of them!

We'll happily accept recipes from anyone who has an Alaska recipe to share. Our community is made up of people who live in the state and those who live elsewhere but love Alaska's outdoors. If your recipe is (or could be) made with Alaska components, we're interested!

One of the interesting things about 21st century Alaska life is that there are people who have lived in the state for years who know and care less about her than some who have only visited but care passionately and study deeply. The `Net and these forums have brought us all together. This is the reality of affinities on the `Net....not lines drawn on a map by a cartographer based on some long forgotten conflict....but interests and enthusiasms and passions.

Last time I checked, ALL of us in Alaska today originate from somewhere else. Some came last week, others have been here for decades, and some were, by no design of their own, born here....of ancestors who also came from somewhere else, even if they walked over the Bering land bridge (bearing bear hides over otherwise bare buns).

If you want to submit one recipe or 20, wonderful; we'll be happy to share your ideas with others who are really interested in eating Alaskan. If you don't want to, no worries.

David
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-04-2007 at 21:07. Reason: Clarification

Thumbs up Bindings and things

Marcus....you asked about format and audience. We're thinking spiral bound (so it will be convenient on the kitchen counter) and full color with lots of photos. Our thought is that we'll have a substantial audience beyond the forum community.

I'm kind of buzzed about the whole project to be honest. In my mind's eye, I can see a great little book full of interesting recipes and ways of dealing with Alaska foods to make them appetizing. I see a book that people will just enjoy looking through for the pictures.

But what really has me delighted is the prospect that it will be a product of the community; a group bound together by a common delight in Alaska. It will be a product that will entice others to join the community. There are riches in the hearts and minds of people we have not yet met here on these boards, and like many who have joined us already, they will also share what they know.

David

Default yes, david, many of us are from somewhere else...

but for someone to refer to Alaska as a "travel destination" and then return to their home state yet continue to refer to themselves as "Alaskan" anything (unless it is akin to "Alaskanwannabe") is, quite frankly, totally bogus and disingenuous.
    though as you point out many of us are from elsewhere, some of us that live here 12 months a year resent some guy who winters in florida and pawns himself off as "Alaskan".

Default Alaskan

Bernard uses Alaskan as an adjective. He is an author, and he has chosen to write about Alaska because that is his passion. In that context, "Alaskan Author" makes perfect sense.

He is up front about where he lives. If you look at his "about the author page" you'll find that he says he lives in FL and has traveled to Alaska year after year. The back covers of both of his books make clear that he is not a resident but a regular visitor.

Given the regular expenditure of significant money to travel here, and time spent here, one could make a case that Bernard has more of a passion for Alaska and more knowledge about her than some who live here.

I'll say again that all who are interested in the Alaska outdoors are welcome in this community. I'm more impacted by a person's interest in Alaska and the ideas they express than where they live on January 12th.

David

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    but for someone to refer to Alaska as a "travel destination" and then return to their home state yet continue to refer to themselves as "Alaskan" anything (unless it is akin to "Alaskanwannabe") is, quite frankly, totally bogus and disingenuous.
    though as you point out many of us are from elsewhere, some of us that live here 12 months a year resent some guy who winters in florida and pawns himself off as "Alaskan".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast