Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 68 of 68

Thread: Nickel plated brass

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Well after looking at the picture again it looks like the 4th from right[white tip] and far right cases were necksized to much and the bullet seating bulged the case at the base of the bullet? Anyone else see this or is it an optical illusion? I wonder if they would chamber?
    I cawn't say.

    It is something that I usually notice, having dealt with it on other folks loads. The shoulders look like they're pretty sharp.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  2. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    All of this chatter over a little comment I made about a picture of what appears to be a swollen case, amazing...
    Gentlemen:
    THIS is a Meaty Matter we're discussing here. We don't want the Commies to get too far ahead of us on this stuff.
    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  3. #63
    Member Music Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I cawn't say.

    It is something that I usually notice, having dealt with it on other folks loads. The shoulders look like they're pretty sharp.

    SOTN
    Yes, the shoulder looks sharp but just above it, it looks like the neck is bulged.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

  4. #64
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Yes, the shoulder looks sharp but just above it, it looks like the neck is bulged.
    To me it looks like he neck sized two of those cartridges with a FL sizing die, set to only size the first 95 percent of the neck. I think the lighting just makes it look bulged....but I been wrong before.

    it is interesting that the two rounds with that "bulge" are the only two with that white tipped bullet (is that a Barnes?)

  5. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,178

    Default

    Smitty: I would think 4000lbs is a reasonable number but I have no way of testing. I have never heard of straight wall cases growing in length but I suppose there are a lot of things I haven't heard of. The 458Win doesn't ever seem to have reports of stretching but the expansion ratio is certainluy different than a 7mm mag. Neither the 300H&H nor the 375H&H seem to have much problem with head separation either but they don't have much shoulder to push forward on. The worst offenders seem to be the large sharp shoulder rounds. Comparing just the belted mags, the 458 seems to give the least problem with the problem increasing as the shoulder gets sharper and bigger. These are just observations of what I have heard and seen and consist of "0" sientific studies or testing. My theory is that the case wall sticking takes the most pressure and is therefore the last thing to happen or even not happen if pressure doesn't get high enough.

    This all does seem like much ado about nothing but it is winter and there's not much else going on. Besides you certainly wouldn't want the Ruskies to get the jump on this.

  6. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Eureka MT
    Posts
    3,178

    Default

    One thing I have learned from this thread is to never post any pictures of my reloads.

  7. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Smitty: I would think 4000lbs is a reasonable number but I have no way of testing. I have never heard of straight wall cases growing in length but I suppose there are a lot of things I haven't heard of. The 458Win doesn't ever seem to have reports of stretching but the expansion ratio is certainluy different than a 7mm mag. Neither the 300H&H nor the 375H&H seem to have much problem with head separation either but they don't have much shoulder to push forward on. The worst offenders seem to be the large sharp shoulder rounds. Comparing just the belted mags, the 458 seems to give the least problem with the problem increasing as the shoulder gets sharper and bigger. These are just observations of what I have heard and seen and consist of "0" sientific studies or testing. My theory is that the case wall sticking takes the most pressure and is therefore the last thing to happen or even not happen if pressure doesn't get high enough.

    This all does seem like much ado about nothing but it is winter and there's not much else going on. Besides you certainly wouldn't want the Ruskies to get the jump on this.
    It's sound reasoning.

    I just hope we remember it all when winter is over.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  8. #68
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    One thing I have learned from this thread is to never post any pictures of my reloads.
    LOL or near about anything else.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •