Thread: "Skidplate" for inflatable raft

Default "Skidplate" for inflatable raft

I recently bought a Mercury inflatable raft to get to shore and check traps. Even after babying it I notice the bottom is already getting tore up from barnacles. Anyone ever added a skid plate or a wear-patch to the underside of there raft? I Googled it and nothing really came up. It says it's made of PVC HP.

Thanks!

Dans raft repair in Anchorage has a spray on coating that looked good.
    My Alaska series tender has some thick rubber on the bottom to protect it. Might give Jim a call and see if he can supply some.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I second the Alaska series inflatables. Haven't needed a skid plate in seven years of running it up on real nasty beaches yet, knock on wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Be really careful of the spot where the transom and bottom join. Any little flap or lip there can cause serious cavitation. Had the flap of fabric on an Achilles peel loose a little, and the results were unbelievably bad. Easy fix with good raft glue, but I'd worry about that as much as the bottom wear with constant beaching. I'd prefer a wear patch, but only with really sound gluing. If it starts to peel, you're scrawed.

I wonder how some of the 3M type protective coating products might work? They make some clear coatings for use on vehicles to protect from flying rocks/debris and adhere pretty well. Probably want to ensure it would stick to the raft material. I'm sure the local raft supply places have some good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    ...local raft supply places....
    Get with the ones who are manufacturer certified for repairs. It's all about picking the right adhesive, and applying it right. They'll know, or if they don't you can go right to the manufacturer. Any kind of buttscratching guess is going to leave you with a peeling bottom.

How a bout the Grizzly Claw Armor that Alaska series rafts sells.http://www.alaskaseries.com/grizzly_...ttom_armor.htm

Give Brian Richardson at "ALASKA RAFT CONNECTION" a call. He does a great job with urethane - pvc coating at a great price. Knows his stuff!! 907-250-2271 in Anch.
    Goo Vogt
    ALASKA WILDWATER

Thanks for the replies. I use it only for getting to shore from my big boat. It'll probably never have a motor on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Any kind of buttscratching guess is going to leave you with a peeling bottom.
    Funny and sound wisdom.