Thread: 9.3x62 brass, is Lapua worth the extra cost over Hornady ?

Default 9.3x62 brass, is Lapua worth the extra cost over Hornady ?

9.3x62 brass, is Lapua worth the extra cost over Hornady ?

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    9.3x62 brass, is Lapua worth the extra cost over Hornady ?
    Lapua brass is consistently the finest brass I've ever used. IME Hornady has run the gamut between good and junk. In a low volume hunting rifle, Hornady isn't a bad choice.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks.

I have used Lapua brass a lot and it is top shelf but just curious.

I bought some hornady 9.3x62 brass but dont like the way it looks. Super thin necks and the necks apparently are not machined off. They sort of have notches on the edge of the brass which I have never seen in any other brass of any sort. I ordered some Lapua brass to compare to the hornady and will have that tomorrow. Most likely will return the hornady brass.

I use Norma. Maybe better than Hornady, but cheaper than Lapua. Seems to be of pretty good quality and no issues after three reloads.

My favorite brass for my 9,3 x 62's is Prvi. This caliber is very accurate and it doesn't seem to matter what loads I toss together they all shoot under MOA. Maybe Lapua would make the groups even smaller but how small do you need ?

Lapua is the best brass on this planet. I use it in my 9.3x62.. I wish they made belted cases.

For that caliber I would say yes. You obviously have a flair for some thing good. For years I was very much caught up in a hand loading obsession and I have never been a bench rest or competition shooter, but I wanted a load and rifle that would put 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards. So I wasted a lot of time on big game hunting loads. I would only use once fired brass in my hunting loads. Now I will load up hunting loads with brass that has been loaded 3 times and I use only Winchester brass. I say go for it.

I find the Lapua to be much more consistent than Hornady or other USA brands. For cartridges that I want target rifle groups, I use only Lapua as it's cheaper in the long run as I don't have to cull for neck thickness nor concentricity.

Lapua will not crack nearly as soon from repeated re-loadings.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com