Thread: So far I am impressed with ODYSSEY SBS J-16 battery

Default So far I am impressed with ODYSSEY SBS J-16 battery

The ODYSSEY SBS J-16 battery seems to be a pretty good deal so far...
    It weighs about 11 pounds less than the Gill battery that I had in the plane. At station 0.0 ( Which works out great with the new slightly heavier Power Flow exhaust )

We used foam and a couple pieces of paneling to shim it into the existing battery box.
    No changes to anything else.

I was told that it was already charged in the box, So we did not add any charge to her...

After installation the plane was in the hangar for another week and we moved the flaps several times, and played with the lights on several occasions while I hunted down wiring problems.

Then she was pushed out into the cold for awhile and I went out a couple hours later and the engine turned over with no problem. I have flown around a couple times now and started it a few times in a row to see how the Odyssey holds up... So Far it is a HUGE improvement over the gill.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

At average temps the voltage drop of an un-maintained Odyssey battery after 12 months is pretty close to zero. Some of mine have sat through several winters untouched and they still work great. You can recover them after a complete discharge, too. And they put out close to full power in the cold. No more need to warm the battery. I don't know why anybody even makes flooded batteries these days.

Here's a link to the technical manual. It says at 77*F the idle storage time is 2 years with no voltage loss. Longer with cooler temps. Pretty amazing.
    http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...1_0411_000.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    At average temps the voltage drop of an un-maintained Odyssey battery after 12 months is pretty close to zero. Some of mine have sat through several winters untouched and they still work great. You can recover them after a complete discharge, too. And they put out close to full power in the cold. No more need to warm the battery. I don't know why anybody even makes flooded batteries these days.
    Same experience.
    The one in the cub came with plane….. 10 ish years old?