Thread: What do you think of this install on a new boat?

Default What do you think of this install on a new boat?

My buddy just received delivery on a brand new boat with the same engines as mine. He has forbidden me to post the brand or the dealer as there are "things" going on right now. But once he saw this he went to a local dealer of the same engine brand for a discussion of their opinion. Needless to say the discussion said basically this: Well it's not "wrong" but for a new aluminum boat it's not what we or any other dealer in town would do. He was told that there would of been two holes in the transom to accommodate the plumbing for the main and the kicker, and solid walled conduit would of been used instead of split and the biggest complaint he has is the opening going into the transom would not be an open hole,3/8 inch hole we can stick our fingers through as the "boot" isn't there it was cut away to accommodate all the hoses.

He decided to have the entire thing re-done. He contacted the other dealer in the Lower 48 they got all defensive etc., which doesn't surprise me. He figures that he's out of the money but wants it done properly not half "you know what".

I told him about this forum but he's not a forum or computer type of guy so I asked his permission to post this for opinions.
    Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images

Piss poor in my opinion.
    Return it for a full refund, who knows what else they did half-aresed!
    BK

exaclty what bkmail said, if they cut corners here, they most likely have done elsewhere. I'd be all over that with fine tooth comb.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Wow. They may be able to build a boat but they sure as hell don't know how to rig one.

It is a problem when a dealer charges for rigging (quoted at $85-$120/hr) on a new boat, and then turns around and hands the job over to the high school aged newbie getting paid $10/hr.

That installation should have two holes and two rubber boots. When you fork over $57-$135k on a new Hewes/Raider/Honda to the dealer and all they had to do was rig the thing up, it better be done/supervised by an experienced journeymen.

It is a bummer that sometimes the manufacturer gets a bad rap when in fact it is carelessness on the dealer's part. Bear in mind that often the sales guy is not always as in touch with the rigging/service dept as they should be (and vice/versa).

Sometimes the best way to buy a boat is factory direct. It can be cheaper and you know it will be rigged up properly.

Sobie2

Holy crap! I agree with BK, send the whole thing back. That's ridiculous. If it was me that bought the boat I would make sure to post up the name of the dealership if they weren't going to make things right. The internet is a glorious thing!

The other thing that happens a lot is the rigger uses automotive wire and connectors instead of Tinned marine wire and connectors. They make a lot of difference down the road. The Tinned with heat sealed connectors is the way to go.

You will not see stuff like that on a Bayweld. Remember to check the under bottom of your boat where it sits on the bunks of your trailer if your Hews is not bottom painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    It is a problem when a dealer charges for rigging (quoted at $85-$120/hr) on a new boat, and then turns around and hands the job over to the high school aged newbie getting paid $10/hr.

That installation should have two holes and two rubber boots. When you fork over $57-$135k on a new Hewes/Raider/Honda to the dealer and all they had to do was rig the thing up, it better be done/supervised by an experienced journeymen.

It is a bummer that sometimes the manufacturer gets a bad rap when in fact it is carelessness on the dealer's part. Bear in mind that often the sales guy is not always as in touch with the rigging/service dept as they should be (and vice/versa).

Sometimes the best way to buy a boat is factory direct. It can be cheaper and you know it will be rigged up properly.

Sobie2
    it was factory direct but the manufacturer does not rig the engines they leave that to one of their assigned dealers! And this dealer...well you can see it. There was some minor drama today we're actually thinking that the manufacturer has banned the IP address of the boat owner as no emails are getting through from two different email address but all sent from the same IP address. I used to help on a web site and every now and then we had to ban an IP address to keep abusive people off of the forum. This may have happened. The good news is it can be made right but at a cost.

Again, I would seriously question the integrity of the rest of the boat, unless you guys think it is the just the dealer who shorted you on a quality rigging, then everything they did is suspect and needs to be inspected with a fine tooth comb.
    Wish you the best, look forward to hearing more.
    I would be uneasy .....make that VERY uneasy about my cash purchase if the dealer and manufacturer would ban me from talking to them after the sale.
    My .02 cents.
    BK

They sure enacted the laziness factor on that install.... Lame. I think every dealer has done shoddy work here and there, but now that the dealer is a couple thousand miles away, what is a guy to do. I'd get them to agree to pay for a re-do from a local Juneau dealer. By the time you send the boat back and forth, you're looking at well over the cost of just fixing it. Any chance he can do it himself? That would be the cheapest way to go.

Next time I would opt to have just the hull and trailer shipped and then put some power on it when I gets to town. Better to deal with locals than some scam artist who's got distance working in his favor.

Crappy situation, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    They sure enacted the laziness factor on that install.... Lame. I think every dealer has done shoddy work here and there, but now that the dealer is a couple thousand miles away, what is a guy to do. I'd get them to agree to pay for a re-do from a local Juneau dealer. By the time you send the boat back and forth, you're looking at well over the cost of just fixing it. Any chance he can do it himself? That would be the cheapest way to go.

Next time I would opt to have just the hull and trailer shipped and then put some power on it when I gets to town. Better to deal with locals than some scam artist who's got distance working in his favor.

Crappy situation, good luck.
    Unfortunatley, there is only one local operation I would trust to touch any of my stuff......When I saw the pics I figured it WAS done locally. Juneau is long on quality of life and beauty and culture for a small town, but short short short on service across all industries. Lived in lots of small towns and only DLG in the bush can top Juneau in this issue, sometimes it's nealry a dead heat.

If it were me, I would let the mfg. know what is going on and let them handle the issue with the dealer. They are not going to want their name on a boat with those kind of issues even if they didn't cause the problem.

I hear ya on that, send it down to rocky's in PSG. They'll get ya setup right!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Unfortunatley, there is only one local operation I would trust to touch any of my stuff......When I saw the pics I figured it WAS done locally. Juneau is long on quality of life and beauty and culture for a small town, but short short short on service across all industries. Lived in lots of small towns and only DLG in the bush can top Juneau in this issue, sometimes it's nealry a dead heat.

Can you PM me the dealer's name? I'm picking up a new Hewes this week and want to be prepared if this is also my dealer.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Make sure you look at the dealer's previous work before choosing one. The boat is great and the engines work great after all was redone in Juneau. All I can say is never use an eastern Washington boat dealer to set up a salt water boat.