Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: Youth rifle recommendation

  1. #1
    Member tccak71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,174

    Default Youth rifle recommendation

    I want to buy my kids a new scoped, bolt action rifle. Both kids have time on a Henry min-bolt and a Marlin 7-shot bolt. Love for my daughter (14--my son's 11) to shoot my Saiga 7.62x39, but she won't'; nice, easy recoil, great shooting gun, but it's "different;" semi-auto, not a bolt.

    Looking at a Ruger American in .243 (only because that's the only rifle available locally). Was eyeing a Savage model 11 XP Trophy hunter youth package with the Nikon scope, but I don't like buying something sight un-scene.
    Here's the Savage:
    http://galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=19708

    Also, If I go with the American, does anyone have a scope recommendation? I was just going to put a Leupold vx-1 on it, but I know they're are probably other cheaper options out there like a Bushnell or Redfield, to meet my needs. I am a little budget conscience (or cheap if you'd like ), but times are tough and they need a bolt to learn on...

    Tim

  2. #2

    Default

    My son and my nephew started at about 9 years old with a .243. They both could handle the recoil and was shooting good in a very short time. The .243 with a Leupold on it would be a very good starter rifle for them to learn on.

  3. #3
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    I bought my kids a ruger compact .243 and put a redfield 2x7 on it, a pretty nice little gun. Perfect size for kids in the 10-15 years old age range IMO
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  4. #4
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I've messed around with a friend's American Compact in .243… we put a 2-7x Nikon on it. Very nice scope for the $$$ and good fit for the rifle and cartridge. His shoots fantastic and his son already zapped a caribou this fall.

    I picked my son up a Savage 11XP with the 3-9x Nikon in 7-08 in LH… I'm still working with it but it shoots fairly well and the 7-08 has a bit more oomph without a ton of recoil.

    I think either of these make a great youth rifle. I'd have probably opted for an American if my son shot right handed…in LH there isn't much selection but the Savage is pretty nice.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    I wouldn't hesitate to put a vortex diamondback 2-7 on a kids gun, decent scope, great warranty.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    My almost-10-yr-old son uses a Weatherby Vanguard Youth in .243 Win and does very well with it. There are other very good options, but this one works for him. He usually can shoot 2"-3" groups at 200 yds with it, unless the wind is going crazy. He took it hunting on youth-only day at the end of Sept. last year, but we didn't see anything to shoot. Good time anyway.



    VIDEO: http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Mari...487-1.mp4.html

  7. #7
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Also, If I go with the American, does anyone have a scope recommendation? I was just going to put a Leupold vx-1 on it, but I know they're are probably other cheaper options out there like a Bushnell or Redfield, to meet my needs. I am a little budget conscience (or cheap if you'd like ), but times are tough and they need a bolt to learn on...

    Tim
    This: >LINK< is a fine little scope. Highly recommended for such an application.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This: >LINK< is a fine little scope. Highly recommended for such an application.
    Looks like a great small scope. BUT,,,,,

    (Status : Discontinued)

    Maybe could still find elsewhere.

    SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This: >LINK< is a fine little scope. Highly recommended for such an application.
    That does look like a good scope, but it does say: "Status: Discontinued"

  10. #10
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    That does look like a good scope, but it does say: "Status: Discontinued"
    Awww, crap.... Good little fixed scopes are getting harder to come by every day. Too bad; it's a nice scope. I've got two of 'em.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  11. #11
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Awww, crap.... Good little fixed scopes are getting harder to come by every day. Too bad; it's a nice scope. I've got two of 'em.
    This one is not too far off: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/417...ProductFinding

    It is ridiculously cheap and, according to the reviews, works very well for some, but has failed for others.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eagle River,AK
    Posts
    1,494

    Default

    I went with the youth model Weatherby Vanguard II in .308. In fact I bought our second one yesterday from Sportsmans in Anch for $499.99. Bought one 2 years ago and it's a freaken tac driver. I would go with the .308 instead of the .243. You will have a 30 cal, more ammo available and almost same re coil. We have a .243 and now 2ea .308's and the .243 is left at home now. My kids been shooting the .308 since age 11 and have taken black bears, caribou and moose. Good luck!

  13. #13
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I am impressed with the Savage package. My kid absolutely loves his. This bear wasn't as big a fan.


    7-08 Superformance 139GMX factory ammo @175 yards.

  14. #14
    Member OKElkHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I would have to lean towards the 7mm08. It is a caliber that you could start a kid off with and they could carry it the rest of their life just by changing out for a longer stock as they grow, and kill anything in the US with. Its a great shooter, light recoil, shoots flatter than a 30/06 and has lots of bullet options.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona Baby!
    Posts
    485

    Default

    The 250 Savage can do everything the 243 can do but it is a lower pressure cartridge so it is a whole easier on the tender shoulders of kids, plus it is quieter. You should look into it and there are probably a few members who have one way back in the Gun Safe that could meet up with you for an afternoon session.

  16. #16
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    tc,

    I have a strong tradition that I'm trying to keep alive: starting a kid with a model 94 winchester. only problem was, I didn't want a 30-30 for alaskan hunting. quick rebore to 375 winchester by jes reboring, and my boy is slinging 255 grainers with pin point accuracy. The rifle weighs slightly less than 6lbs with a peep sight, which makes it easy for a youngster to carry. Best part, is the used 94's are dirt cheap, and so is the rebore job. The recoil isn't too bad due the the modest recoil, but the knock-down power is intense. My opinion, starting a kid hunting big game with a scope, is a huge disservice, and is absurd. Proficiency on big game with open sights are skills that children deserve. The "youth rifles" that don't have open sights, are laughable. Here's a link to the field report:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/108012-Any-375-Winchester-shooters-out-there



  17. #17
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OKElkHunter View Post
    I would have to lean towards the 7mm08. It is a caliber that you could start a kid off with and they could carry it the rest of their life just by changing out for a longer stock as they grow, and kill anything in the US with. Its a great shooter, light recoil, shoots flatter than a 30/06 and has lots of bullet options.
    Yes 7mm08 is about as good as it gets for a youth bolt action. The 375 lever is also a very good option for those of the slow but heavy purswation. And yes kids have good eyes and reflexas, teach them to shoot iron sights when it's easy for them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    tc,

    I have a strong tradition that I'm trying to keep alive: starting a kid with a model 94 winchester. only problem was, I didn't want a 30-30 for alaskan hunting. quick rebore to 375 winchester by jes reboring, and my boy is slinging 255 grainers with pin point accuracy. The rifle weighs slightly less than 6lbs with a peep sight, which makes it easy for a youngster to carry. Best part, is the used 94's are dirt cheap, and so is the rebore job. The recoil isn't too bad due the the modest recoil, but the knock-down power is intense. My opinion, starting a kid hunting big game with a scope, is a huge disservice, and is absurd. Proficiency on big game with open sights are skills that children deserve. The "youth rifles" that don't have open sights, are laughable. Here's a link to the field report:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/108012-Any-375-Winchester-shooters-out-there


    94 Winchesters are no longer "Dirt Cheap".

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  19. #19
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    30-30 ammo has been a lot harder to find recently as well!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Instead of sticking that "poor" kid with a 94 / 30 30 why don't you take the thutty thutty yourself and give that kid your GOOD rifle ? If you want to teach a kid "humility" there are better ways to do that, if you want to teach a kid to hunt and shoot then teach him or her they YOU hunt and shoot (safer too)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •