Thread: food rations for sheep hunting

Default food rations for sheep hunting

what do you fellows use as a "weight per day" for backpacking trips using freeze dried,etc. what would be in an average packet for one days food?
    this will be a 6-7 day trip

1 mountain house per day along with 1 Detour bar (large 30 gram protein size) I also buy muscle techs whey protein and put it in large strong ziplocs this will easily sustain you thru the week. It might be a little pricey but the Detours and the whey give you the energy you will need, this is by far the best protein bars on the market, power bars and meso-tech don't even come close. hot green tea is also good, the anti-oxidents will keep you from getting sick...i know it sounds too healthy, but it makes the pack a lot lighter....K

Default thanks

where do you get the detour bar and whey protein?

oatmeal pasta and power bars are good options
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A couple MRE's, some power bars, beef jerky and water will usually do. Usually a few beers at the truck on ice when the hunt is all over for the last night.

Detour bars are available in Sams, in Fairbanks, not sure if Anchorage branch would have it, but you can check, they come in a box of 20, its cheaper buying them that way, they have them in GNC too, and some outdoor mountaineering stores, not sure if REI would have them but they might. The protein powder (whey) that you mix with water you can get from Fred Meyers or GNC, they come in plastic tubs, with a scoop. but you can take out what you need for the duration of your mission. ...K

Default Same Question

I had the same question. After packing my food for my 10 - 14 day hunt, I ended up with a little over 16 pounds and 30,000 calories. Some have told me I need more calories packed. It's a combo of Mountain House (buy #10 cans and vac pack them), cashews, peanut M&M's, jerkey, instant potatoes, dried soup, protein bars, and couscous.

High Carbs and lots of protein is the ticket! The body needs both, alot of calories for the body to burn, MREs are good because of the high calorie but they are heavy to pack and lug around, even if you break them down. Plus they stop you up, and constipation can be uncomfortable. Thats why I go with mountain house. 20-plus years being around MREs can be tiring...there are hundreds of ways (dehydrate food and fruit etc, powdered milk, gatorade, and more) pick whatever is best for you....K

Default Good info Kahahawai

Great question also, I think Kahahawai gave some good insight on different ideas of what to take. I might have to up the rations a little, our supply guy said if I fell in the snow I might come out looking like the abominable snowman! Haha

Default sheep pack and food

After "years" of trial an error, here is what me and the partner bring. We usually pack for 6 days.

6 or 7 mountain house.
    5 or 6 bags of the instant chicken flavored rice.
    10 pay day candy bars
    10 energy bars
    a bag of gorp
    cocoa
    Always pack a Sam's club thing of hot dogs and a block of cheese. (this gets eaten in the first couple of day)

vaccummed sealed gatorade/powerade mix.

ALWAYS have extra food at camp. Usually spagehtti sauce with noodles, extra hot dogs, BIG bottle of Baileys, etc.

Default weight per day

There's already been good advice on what to take. To answer your original question of "weight per day" I've found that with a lot of different combinations you can expect to pack about 1 1/4 lbs per day per person. I've never found a way to pack enough calories for a sheep hunt. It's a good weight loss program.

Default Sheep Food

I'm usually at about 24 oz/day on a sheep hunt including packaging. A days rations include: 1 cup costco granola, 1 cup gorp, 1 power bar, 2 pilot bread, jerky or teryaki stick, 6 wethers candies and a MH.

Default My list.......

I usually bring-
    -2 packets of oatmeal and 2 Nutri-Grain bars for breakfast,
    -Snickers bars and 1 pakage of Romon noodles for lunch
    -1 Moutain House for dinner.

If I get hungry I snack on jerky,trail mix,cheese crackers through out the day.Usually I dont even eat lunch so I have a big dinner.To drink I bring the EMERGEN-C powder drink,plain water makes me feel bloated after a couple days.Plus it is filled with loads of vitamin C and other stuff.I tried the whey protein thing a couple years back and it gave me the runs.Dont know,maybe it was just me,but it sucked crapping your brains out on a mountian.

Default Don't forget fat

1.5 lbs per day is a good number. Don't forget, most of us are carrying a lot of extra "energy" on our bodies. 1.5 lbs day has always seemed about right for me though, and tend to loose 3-5 lbs of body weight on a 7 day hunt.

Excellent advice everyone.

Here are a few more tips without giving away all of the secrets:

Remember, fat is the highest # of calories and energy for it's weight. Think: pringles, cheese sticks, hard salami, oreos. Supplement your morning oatmeal or granola with a tablespoon or two of protein powder. Use dehydrated WHOLE milk, not nonfat. Also, I find that backpacker's pantry meals are larger in volume and calorie content for a 2 person meal. Supplement your evening meal with dehydrated cheese of some sort, or a tablespoon or two of olive oil for extra calories.

Good luck everyone!

Default sheep hunting food

Tony Russ covers this pretty well in his book. Don't pack stuff that is less than 100 calories per ounce. Shoot for 1 gram of protein per lb of body mass per day, and 3 or 4 grams of good clean carbs per day. I get fat cravings out there, so olive oil or fish oil is a good way to take care of that. You'll need .3 or .4 grams of fat per pound of body weight.

2,000 calories per day works for me. I make a spreadsheet and budget out my consumption by day to ensure that I am getting enough, both in terms of calories and the carb/protein/fat mix. The weight will be between 1.25 and 1.5 lbs per day.

I am convinced that Mountain House is poison, so I try to stay away from it. Other than that, just wander around the grocery store looking at non-perishables. You should have no problem building a diverse menu. GNC and Natural Pantry are great places to go as well.

Default food

I'd second reading Tony's book regarding food/calories. He says the average sheep hunter burns 5,000-7,000 calories/day. I believe he also said that for each 2,000 calories not taken in/day you lose 1/2 pound body weight. I don't have much weight to lose, so I try to eat as much as I can out there. However, I've realized that I can hardly eat more than 3,500 calories/day no matter how hard I've worked. Last year I packed too much food, about 4,200 calories/day. I only ate 3,000-3,500 cals/day, so lost about 5 lbs of body weight in 8 days. So for me, I think his stats are pretty accurate. I really like the high fiber/calorie content of mtn house granola and blueberries for breakfast. Then a cliff bar (good carbs and fiber) for a snack. Another cliff bar with a small tube of spreadable peanut butter, jerky and macademian nuts for lunch. Then a mtn house for dinner with a piece of candy for desert. I'm not sure what the weight/day comes to, but don't scrimp on food unless you have extra weight to lose. Food = energy and energy= getting to sheep.

Default Mountain House Poison???

I know there bland, but Poison? You have a story to tell I assume?

I like mnt house a lot, and I have been researching what to take based on weight. I plan to use snickers bars (regular) energy bars are slightly better but taste worse and cost more. I am going to pack some oil, mayo and butter packets to add to mnt house, tuna and instant mashed respectivly. Nuts and seeds area great. Rice is better then pasta. Freeze dried is best use of weight IMO. I am going for 1.2 lbs per person per day, but my dad eats little and will probably mean I get a little more (I hope)!

Default mountain house

Yes, I consider Mountain House to be poison. You can eat them all you want, but I try to stay away from them.
    I once read the ingredients list on a package....my God, what IS all that junk in there? If that doesn't do it, I challenge you to try to share a tent with me after I eat one. If you can do that, you may well be impervious to all forms of toxic attack!