Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHY the "LOATHING" of firearms & ammo auctions.........????

Default WHY the "LOATHING" of firearms & ammo auctions.........????

Because I only get to Anchorage every 6 to 8 weeks, and when I do I have 15 hours of appointments and shopping to get done in 8 hours. So about 5 months ago I started bidding on firearms and firearms parts on e-bay & GunBroker.

I realize this forums management is opposed to auctions. Is there any South-Central Alaska (More or less) auction sites.......???
    Is there a market for someone to create a local auction site.......???
    Remind me why people don't like auctions for ammo and firearms.

I've done a bunch of business on GunBroker and never had any problems whatsoever and I use eBay even more, I don't like their antigun stupidity but EVERYONE has rules of some kind and so I just obey them (mostly) The only real "hitch" living in AK is the additional shipping to endure, Hawaii gets it too - The last rifle I sold on this forum cost me nearly $80 to ship up there and it was direct, no GunBroker involvement - There are lots of "little" things to put up with no matter where a person lives ........

It seem members of this forum and it's management are very opposed to auctions.......Strange, as it seems the most fair to both seller and buyer.

Auctions (to be fair to buyer and seller) need a special type of auction software that logs bids and calculates times. GB and EBAY and Gunsamerica all have that type of auction software.

This site does not.

The management of this forum has elected to not deal with the drama of trying to run an auction site on a non-auction software platform and the drama would be non-stop in my estimation.

If running an auction site appeals to you then I think it's a great idea- go for it!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    If running an auction site appeals to you then I think it's a great idea- go for it!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

NO.....I just have a LOT of ammo to sell, when it is sold I will have no interest. I guess one more gunshow will be the best avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

Profiteering is, has been, and well be frowned upon.

Taking advantage of people when times are tough is always going to be unpopular.

But as long as you're making money, who cares if people like you. Unless you want to be popular and have money.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It seem members of this forum and it's management are very opposed to auctions.......Strange, as it seems the most fair to both seller and buyer.
    I think if you start a pole you'll finde your conclusion in bold is not accurate.

But straight auctions on this site are now allowed for the reasons the site says they're not allowed. The site wants their cut.

I was referring more to tables than auctions in the post above, I guess.

The posts without prices are just annoying.

But as you know, people complain about listing with prices as well.

Auctions are fine.

I use GB quite a bit, as well as ebay. Seems like the "guns for sale" classified section in these forums is just another form of auction - except the seller sets the price. If it sells the second it is posted, you sold too low. If it doesn't sell, it is either unwanted or the price is too high. I see a lot of items with prices which may seem reasonable for the seller, but not the buyer.

That is because the buyers here want to buy well below the price that buyers on Alaska's List are eager & happy to pay. Free market.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    I see a lot of items with prices which may seem reasonable for the seller, but not the buyer.

That is because the buyers here want to buy well below the price that buyers on Alaska's List are eager & happy to pay. Free market.
    If that true why are you wasting your time posting on this forum???????

You say all your gun's are in a storage unit in Anchorage.........now you say you come to Anchorage every 6 to 8 weeks (post #1). If that true how can you get a gun to the person that bought it? Are they going to have to wait until you come to Anchorage?

So why not just post all your stuff on Alaskaslist and be done with it?

I like Gunbroker and EBay just fine, but from what I can tell, this website is not really about being an auction house for people to sell stuff. Seems like, It's merely a nice service being offered to the community of people who use these forums.

WATCH...........Would a nice moderator please delete 100% of the firearms I currently have listed on this Forum.....Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    If that true why are you wasting your time posting on this forum??????

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    It's merely a nice service being offered to the community of people who use these forums.
    One that I greatly appreciate!

WATCH...........Would a nice moderator please delete 100% of the firearms I currently have listed on this Forum.....Thank You
    Done. ..........

I have found, generally, that I can post firearms for sale on GB, and if they have an opening bid price that is reasonable, they sell rather quickly. I NEVER play the "reserve" game, I just start the bidding at the lowest price I am willing to accept. On some occasions, they sell for FAR more than I could have sold them locally. The audience is MUCH deeper on an auction site. And no one wants to trade a four wheeler or camping gear. Just cashiers checks and postal money orders. Locals are certainly welcome to bid on the items I have for sale. I don't see a need for a "local" auction site. The national ones seem to work really well. I have bought and sold quite a bit on GB. I've posted items for sale on this site as well, but the desired results have been slow in coming. I just think the audience is too small to generate a lot of interest.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Brian, Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Done. ..........

I love to use gunbroker as a research tool to see what a gun is selling for. But I never win any of the auctions so I never get to buy on there. I"ve only tried to buy a couple guns, and the reserve was set way too high. Tried to buy a set of rubber grips with the wood insert for my GP100 on GB once. By the time the auction was over the guy who won it could have bought a brand new set from ruger for $20 less than he paid on that auction! Anymore I dont even fool with it unless it has a buy now option with a reasonable price or just buy direct from people on various websites..
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast