Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ~~2014 Haul Road Report~~

Default ~~2014 Haul Road Report~~

Guess it couldn't hurt to start a new one. I'm already planning my trip to go up in September, and I can't wait. Lets keep up the good work and keep the tips coming! good luck

Last week of Aug and 1st week of Sept, we'll be on the Ivishak....woo-hoo!
    BK

Bkmail, hope you got your airboat running again. Might make the trip too! Greg asked me to join again.

Gonna make my 3rd trip up there this August, possibly September. I'm hoping that what I've learned from my first 2 trips will allow me to get in bow range this year. My first trip up there 2 years ago I took a cow at 55 yards, that was the closest I was able to get to any bou. My second trip I came back empty handed, but I did get within 40 yards of a nice bull but had no shot and he winded me. Those caribou are nearly impossible to get close to in that tundra

Kabob,
    Boat is running like a fine swiss watch again....thanks to Skip.
    I'm headed up to Fbx to pick it up next month. Can't wait.
    Talking to Greg it looks like we will be up there at the same time. You guys should have a nice warm cab to ride in this year!!
    BK

After striking out in the fall, I may be looking to do a ski-in from the Haul Road in March or early April, so please let me know if anyone driving the road sees caribou in the spring. Toying with the idea of going to Adak too. We're living on a fish-only diet, and that makes me sad... although not that sad I guess. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I am new to hunting (grew up in California and only fished), let alone bow hunting, and I am planning a trip with some buddies this year. Any advice or tips on things like supplies, how long to plan on being there, etc. Just trying to get an idea of what I should kind of expect.

Quote Originally Posted by CalTexAk Reaper View Post
    I am new to hunting (grew up in California and only fished), let alone bow hunting, and I am planning a trip with some buddies this year. Any advice or tips on things like supplies, how long to plan on being there, etc. Just trying to get an idea of what I should kind of expect.
    Well seeing as you are new to hunting and from California, you definitely have your work cut out for you friend. Hopefully your buddies have some experience, but at the same time it is not to difficult of a hunt for the most part,.. It can be whatever you make it. Just keep in mind it's a low odds hunt,.. Keep a positive attitude, get in front of the caribou and be prepared to wait for them to come in range. Also bring plenty of warm gear, even in August you can see some cold temps.

Alsways gotta stay positive! Especially after my draw results, 0-16!

anyone headed up for a spring bou hunt? I can't make it until mid April, but sure would like to hear some success stories before I leave!

I'll be headed up March 22-31st. I'll update once I'm back. Talked to the gal up at the Coldfoot truck stop today. Bou were around the Chandalar Shelf but a lot of wolves in the area has em' moving I guess, moving into bow range I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloLX83 View Post
    I'll be headed up March 22-31st. I'll update once I'm back. Talked to the gal up at the Coldfoot truck stop today. Bou were around the Chandalar Shelf but a lot of wolves in the area has em' moving I guess, moving into bow range I hope.
    Good deal! Look forward to the update when you return

I'll be driving up on the 28th or 29th all the way into Prudhoe. Hoping for an opportunity on the way up or on the way back. If there are some further north of the pass, I'll make sure to report back.

I'm going to try and drive up tomorrow morning. I'll let you know if I see anything.

Tried to get some caribou from a small herd (counted 25) that I spotted on the Chandalar Shelf, found out a couple of them were above me and spooked the herd. I spent a couple of hours trying to chase them and get them to hold still for a good shot with the bow. Sadly they didn't want to work with me and it was getting dark so I left empty handed. That is about all I saw minus some onesies and twosies.

Watch the road vic. Galbraith. The loose gravel is great for your windshield when a truck comes the other way.

BTW, I drove 40 miles shy of Deadhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
    Tried to get some caribou from a small herd (counted 25) that I spotted on the Chandalar Shelf, found out a couple of them were above me and spooked the herd. I spent a couple of hours trying to chase them and get them to hold still for a good shot with the bow. Sadly they didn't want to work with me and it was getting dark so I left empty handed. That is about all I saw minus some onesies and twosies.

Watch the road vic. Galbraith. The loose gravel is great for your windshield when a truck comes the other way.

BTW, I drove 40 miles shy of Deadhorse.
    What was the weather conditions up there?

It snowed Saturday and some Sunday vicinity Atigun Pass/Chandalar Shelf. Other than that it wasn't bad.

subscribing for updates.... good luck folks

A little early still give it another month and should be an alright time to go

Drove up on 3/29. Saw a group of ~20 just north of Pump 4 with a hunter already in position on them. Saw three more bou just north of Pump 3 but left them alone to finish the drive to Prudhoe.

Good drive on the way up, mostly clear roads but they have iced sections of it so it is very slick with the sun beating down on it. Some jackoff cut down the furthest north spruce tree... you know, the one with the sign asking for it not to be cut? What is wrong with some people?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast