Thread: Thoughts on the RZR 4 for Trail riding

Default Thoughts on the RZR 4 for Trail riding

I will be moving up to the Fairbanks area in May, with my family.
    I trying to decide if I want a 4 seat Rzr or 2 seat. The concern I have with the 4 seat version is the length of travel.
    The reason for the four seat is so the kids (teens) don't have to double up on the the sportsmen.
    I look at the website for the dealer in the area, the prices are looking the same as down here, is a transport fee that not listed?
    would I save in the lower 48?

While I do not own a Razor, nor would I, there is a fair size following that do own and ride them here. We see several on the trails most of the time we are out. For us we want to be able to carry a 'fair amount' of equipment and the Razor's does not seem to have that. Along with our 4x4 ATV's we also have an Arctic Prowler side by side. It is longer then the ATV's and it does have a good ride. Depending on where/type of riding you intend to do, you should be fine with either one. The only 'issue' you might have is making tight turns in the trees.]
    The Razor's do appear to be fun though.

Thanks for the info Bearcat. Yes the cargo area is small and will need reinforced and modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Mich1tex View Post
    I will be moving up to the Fairbanks area in May, with my family.
    I trying to decide if I want a 4 seat Rzr or 2 seat. The concern I have with the 4 seat version is the length of travel.
    The reason for the four seat is so the kids (teens) don't have to double up on the the sportsmen.
    I look at the website for the dealer in the area, the prices are looking the same as down here, is a transport fee that not listed?
    would I save in the lower 48?
    RZR are nice machines with the exception of storage. When you want to go hunt, camp, fish, and plan on being out with anything than a small cooler...good luck! I have two small kids and are out quite frequently doing what AK has to offer and I couldn't imagine the headache of hauling the kids and "stuff" around all while being some what comfortable....infact I had a buddy just get rid of his RZR for that same reason. I got a 13 800 Crew and wouldn't have gone any other way. Yes they're longer....but I can rarely not go where I want....if I can't it's probably not the wisest choice anyway....plus I got a huge bed and seating for 6....all for several thousand less than a RZR

I made the plunge and got the RZR 2 seat I had a guy wanted to trade my boat for it. I still might upgrade later but with the move coming soon I needed to get rid of the boat. After I see how often I can get he kids and wife out I might upgrade. Thank y'all for the input.

Love my RZR. 2 seater. Has a tube rack built over the cab. Carries all anyone could want. Comparing a Ranger to a RZR is apples and oranges. Both have their place. Slow and sturdy? Ranger. Fast and sporty? RZR. Both have their place. I wouldn't want a 4-seater, but I don't need one. Teenagers would rather ride a 4-wheeler than ride with the parents. That's a no brainier. As for cost? They cost about the same up here as in the south from what I've seen. That surprised me but it's true.

I just picked up a RZR 4 and am stoked to see what it will do on the trails. I know it will be limited because of the width and won't be able to snake between trees well but if the trail is fairly open I'm guessing it will do fine. Lots of clearance and a ton of power. The rear deck is big enough to stack a lot of gear (rated at 300#) and I'll have a towing option soon.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'm sure the longer wheelbase will have some advantages and some disadvantages. No matter, it wouldn't be hard to have fun with either either either one. My old iron is still good fun.

image.jpg

Mr Pid did you make the rack and roof or buy it some where.
    I agree the teens would rather drive then ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought it from a friend like you see it. Knowing him it's a purchased part. I've made some minor changes but overall it's a great rack.

I picked up a RZR 4 and rode it out moose hunting. I have two crews, also. Since driving the RZR 4, that's the nicest ride on the trails I've found, and that's my machine of choice now, even on some tough trails. Good clearance, great suspension since they are kinda made for high speeds and jumps (to some degree). I don't do any of that, but for a smooth ride on the trails, it's nice. I also like that the tires are outside of the main body. With the crews, I have problems (not often) with rubbing my cab on trees and banks. With the RZR, the tires are the first thing to hit, and you can climb right through stuff. Haven't had any major issues with high centering. They are really stable also. The one issue is on creek crossings, you can get your butt wet, as your sitting really low.
    Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com