Thread: Question on Steel Shot

Default Question on Steel Shot

I want to buy a shot gun that will shoot steel shot, I'm thinking about a Remington 870. Can you shoot steel shot through a modified choke or is there such a thing as an open choke? or do you have to have a gun specifically for steel shot? I have heard you don't want to shoot steel shot through the older guns like a model 12 or a full choke. thanks for the help

All new shotguns shoot steel shot. You can buy Every choke from cylinder through steel full for that gun.
    And yes if you were to have an older gun such as a model 12 you would want the choke opened up by a gun smith. 99.9% of hunters will never shoot enough steel to ever hurt an older shotgun with a modified choke.

Thanks fishcatcher541, looks like I'm buying a new shotgun next week

The tubes that will come with the 870 will be marked as full steel/mod lead etc.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you're buying a new shotgun then it most likely will have a set of screw in choke tubes. Most new shotguns can handle steel (I believe there are still a few specialty ones that steel may not be a good idea but that stuff is too rich for my blood). You can shoot steel shot through a full choke of a new shotgun with no issues however the full choke may not be necessary. Steel shot can pattern as well through a modified choke than lead in a full choke.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Also, you can consider other "steel free" alternatives that meet the BS requirements for non-toxic shot.Such as Hevy Shot and Bismuth, plus others.

Of course, that is if you can find them.And they are pricey.

Still, figure the cost for an average waterfowl season.Maybe 4 boxes total...if that.

Steel has very poor sectional density.Pattens beautifully, but runs out of gas MUCH faster than say Hevy Shot...and that's out where the birds are flying.

So what is defined as a "new" shotgun for purposes of steel? I sometimes use an old Winchester 1200 that my dad bought brand new in around 1984-86 according to his memory. Would that be new enough to shoot steel? I wonder because right now it's the only bird gun I have access to consistently. If I can't shoot steel in it, I may have to go buy one... (the horror right?) It's only got one choke, either modified or full, can't remember. We've been using it for clay shooting with lead shot, don't want to use it with steel if it will damage anything.

Wanted to add: I found this simulator a long time ago and thought it was pretty interesting. Of course it's all theoretical and can't really be used to definitively pattern your gun, but it's useful for "testing" different patterns to see trends. You should always pattern your guns in real life. This is just an interesting tool:

http://www.blackbartsoftware.com/shotgun.htm

I have 4 gold crowns now thanks to steel shot .........