Thread: Built a hitch

Default Built a hitch

Bought a '14 600 Rmk 144. Needed a hitch for the over nighters and hound hunting. I have beer,a heated shop and tools, so I thought,"Why not?". Here it is, with recovery loops. Receiver to come later. Plenty stout I believe. 'Course I don't freight like you guys.

0211141559.jpg

Nice job. I think it would be a bit tougher if you had extended it to bolt to the tunnel instead of the aluminum tabs.
    Probably ok for a Polaris. LOL!

No really, nice bumper. }:>
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Great looking hitch. Here is my new bumper hitch. It's just a little heavier than yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hitch

What are the two square tubing upright on the frame of the hitch?

I put the upright square tubing on for later possible accessories. You can see in the first picture 2 flat plates on the side of the hitch. These are made to slide into the square tubing like a trailer hitch goes into it's receiver. Just trying to think ahead. I may end up rebuilding the back end of the hitch completely because the actual sled hitch ends up being pretty far back which messes with handling on tight trails when pulling a freight sled.

Receiver tubes provide a larger area to reinforce, providing there's learance between compressed suspension and tunnel.

Attachment 76911

Maybe this time it'll attach!

hitch.JPG

That's a good looking hitch. I like the idea of having the flapper style hitch always available as a backup.

I like a backup option. Once after breaking the pintle hook off of the back of that machine I removed the receiver hitch and used a padlock to connect the flapper to the trailer's eye bolt. It worked very well, too. MacGuyvering stuff together is part of what I like about river life.

You guys up north, make some good, hurky hitches. I really like the work-survival mentality. I guess that comes from me being a rancher. I like pulling stuff. I'm gleaning info off this site to maybe do a big cross country trip, about 400 miles. We'll see.

The primary concern when building a hitch is how to distribute the load so it doesn't bend your tunnel. Just hanging a hitch fixture off the back isn't always a good idea. Bent tunnels are not fun. Plan your hitch with your intended loads in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bmunsell View Post
    Great looking hitch. Here is my new bumper hitch. It's just a little heavier than yours.
    Very nice. The tie-down points would be really handy. Good job.

I would spread the load through the tunnel/chassis vs the super light factory aluminum bumper bracket. Here's mine built by a friend, it's mounted with solid aircraft rivets along the tunnel sides and along the back edge of the tunnel.

Nice. How did you bend that Yamaha pintle so nicely? How did you attach it? Welded to the flat plate that's bolted down?

It would have looked better with a nice heavy dark Porter instead of grand-dad's PBR!

Don't need no hitch - ain't got no snow............

It's hard to argue with 160 years of brewing perfection. Plus, I'm a grandpa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr;

Don't need no hitch - ain't got no snow............
    Wrong. Hauling conditions as low as the Yentna-Su confluence are ideal. The river trails are better than I've ever seen for early March. Folks that've written off winter are missing out. The conditions hold up to Su Station but below that is pretty sketchy with lots of smooth ice and some puddles. And the sandbars are peeking out already down low.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Nice. How did you bend that Yamaha pintle so nicely? How did you attach it? Welded to the flat plate that's bolted down?
    Good catch on the Yamaha pintle, I looked everywhere for one that would work. It was not bent, it was just welded to a flat plate that I bolted onto the bumper plate.

Here is a top view

I been away from sledding too long I guess. Is any of this stock? I like to find that same set up you did MORSNO. Did you machine the sides pieces that are riveted to the beaver tail there?

Don't mind me. Just looked at Polaris parts fiche fount it.

GS