Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redding T-7 vs. Forster Co-Ax

Default Redding T-7 vs. Forster Co-Ax

Thoughts? The title pretty much sums it up.

Murphy, aren't you a Redding T-7 guy? Thoughts on the Co-Ax?

You are welcome to come check out my T-7 pretty much any time. The co-ax is pretty cool and I suspect it would be very consistent based on its design. The advantage of the T-7 is having multiple dies set up at once. I have 6.8SPC and 280AI ready to go on mine right now. Works great for me because I can hammer out some pinker ammo for the six eight and some test ammo for the eh' eye after work for a range trip the next day without having to set anything up

I actually HAVE the T-7 as well. I understand the idea of having dies setup at the same time, but that could be true with ALL of your dies with the Co-Ax, right? Just pop em in and you're rockin'...

You should buy a co-ax and I will come and check it out then!

My issue with the Co-Ax, and similarly designed presses, is one of ergonomic interface. To wit, you can't access the press from the side; all your interface is straight in from the front, and the handle is centered in the same plane as well, making the ergonomic interface and operation of the press very cramped and slow.

When I work (many years with a Rock Chucker, and now with a T-7), I sit slightly off center to the left, my right shoulder in line with the press handle; my right hand operates the ram, while my left hand moves shells in and out of the press from the left side. I settle into a very efficient and smooth cadence wherein my left hand goes to the press with the next shell already in hand and as the ram hits bottom swaps one shell out and the next one in, in one smooth motion, while my right hand works the handle in a smooth cadence of about one rotation every 2 seconds.

You just can't do that with a a press designed like the Co-Ax. From an engineering perspective relative to ram alignment, mechanical advantage, etc., it's great; but from an ergonomic functionality perspective it's terrible.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Good point and I do the same operation you use.

What in the hell is a "eh' eye" is that cool guy talk for A.I ?

Just trying to do a smitty impersonation.

Addendum: I got rid of the primer arm and associated casting bump out on the front of the my T-7; a vast improvement, imho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    My issue with the Co-Ax, and similarly designed presses, is one of ergonomic interface. To wit, you can't access the press from the side; all your interface is straight in from the front, and the handle is centered in the same plane as well, making the ergonomic interface and operation of the press very cramped and slow.

When I work (many years with a Rock Chucker, and now with a T-7), I sit slightly off center to the left, my right shoulder in line with the press handle; my right hand operates the ram, while my left hand moves shells in and out of the press from the left side. I settle into a very efficient and smooth cadence wherein my left hand goes to the press with the next shell already in hand and as the ram hits bottom swaps one shell out and the next one in, in one smooth motion, while my right hand works the handle in a smooth cadence of about one rotation every 2 seconds.

You just can't do that with a a press designed like the Co-Ax. From an engineering perspective relative to ram alignment, mechanical advantage, etc., it's great; but from an ergonomic functionality perspective it's terrible.
    Most of us would not have considered that, when considering the Co-Axe.

But it's undoubtedly true. ( Most presses have an option for Right or Left.) I'm glad you pointed it out.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I'm Honored.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Non progresave I don't think there is a better mass produced press out there than the T-7. I don't have one but I have pretty much used them all and have been looking for a reason . . . But I have lots of good presses.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Non progresave I don't think there is a better mass produced press out there than the T-7. I don't have one but I have pretty much used them all and have been looking for a reason . . . But I have lots of good presses.
    The T-7 is definitely a pretty nifty step up from the Rock Chucker, imho, and I'm really happy with mine, but in the end it doesn't necessarily produce superior quality ammunition. It's just a fancier tool to accomplish the same result. Anyone reading this who's just starting to build a loading bench should not hesitate to purchase the likes of a Rock Chucker. It'll serve you very well for a very long time.
    #Resist

I had a Lyman turret press, but after I got my Co-ax I sold the turret. You can slide a die and out of the Co-ax as fast as you can turn a turret, but to me the co-ax is superior in it's alignment and quicker with the automatic jaws vs. a shell holder. Also if you load alot of calibers you'll have the added price of additional heads for the turret and the time to swap them out vs. no additional cost with the co-ax.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Lol you caught onto it as well...

I use the T7 and love it…. I like having my dies set up permanently on their own heads…I can honestly say the Redding is Rock solid. I am getting more accustomed to the idea that most anything redding is a pretty good quality, well thought out design. However I'm not familiar enough with the CO-AX system to make a fair comparison. Personally I just don't like the idea of having to rely on a locking system to pop dies in and out… in my experiance these usually end up having to get re-adjusted too often for my taste. Im also not the quickest to upgrade from methods that work for me….Even sometimes when other methods or technology, prove equal to or better then my current ones….. With some time using a CO-AX i might reconsider this school of thought….I have read nothing but good things about either press.

I can't imagine buying 20 or so turrets for the Redding at $60/$70 apiece so I can keep all my dies screwed into a turret. It only takes about a minute to screw out a set of dies and screw in a new set. I haven't messed with a Redding. Don't you have to unscrew a big nut and replace it to change a turret head? I don't imagine that would take long but it doesn't take long to change dies either. I keep several die sets for pistol set up for my Dillon 550 but heads are relatively cheap for it. I think the handle for the co ax being in front would bother me but I've never tried one of those either.

I haven't used the Redding T7, but if I wanted a turret press it would be my choice as Redding is tops on list of reloading equipment. As far as the way the co-ax holds the dies, the lock ring on the die slides into a slot machined into the press. So there is no locking system per-se to rely on, once you adjust your die via the locking ring and clamp it down, your die to shell holder disance is set. If you had a turret with one head you'd be spending more than 1 minute swapping out dies if you wanted to be assured that they were adjusted the same every time you used them.

As far as the ergonomics, yes the lever in the center and not being able to load cases into the side compared to the rockchucker is less ergonomic. That said I find the benefits of the quick die change and floating alignment of the co-ax to be sufficiently superior that my rockchucker basically collects dust or is used for my 500 Jeffrey that has 1" body dies that won't fit in the co-ax.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have an old Lyman All American turret with only one head that gets used as much as my several other presses together. Once the die lock rings are locked, I just screw them out and screw in the next set that have locked rings with out any adjustment. Why would you need to readjust a set of adjusted locked dies? By the way Paul, your loading bench is way to neat and clean.

Remember, you also need to buy different lock rings for RCBS and Redding dies to use them in the CO-AX. Bulk packs are sold at Midway but if you load for a lot of different calibers the cost can add up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast