Thread: Prince William Sound Shrimp Seminar

Default Prince William Sound Shrimp Seminar

February 12, 6 7pm
    Shrimp of Prince William Sound
    Assistant Area Management Biologist, Mike Thalhauser will detail the various species of shrimp found in PWS and will discuss how to effectively set pots for harvesting. Location: William Jack Hernandez Sport Fish Hatchery (on Reeve Blvd). Contact: 907-267-2218 or ryan.ragan@alaska.gov.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Do we need to call to sign up or can we just show up and attend?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

that should be interesting

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

You could probably teach us a thing or three on that subject.

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    You could probably teach us a thing or three on that subject.
    not me i don't have a computer program that tells me whats going on with the shrimp population like those state employees have. Whatever is on that screen is gospel !! and anyone that is out there catching bugs just "doesn't understand" what is really happening. I'd still like to go to that seminar though.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hey JR2. If you go, would you mind passing along some of the info you get? I have to work tonight and won't be able to make it.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    not me i don't have a computer program that tells me whats going on with the shrimp population like those state employees have. Whatever is on that screen is gospel !! and anyone that is out there catching bugs just "doesn't understand" what is really happening. I'd still like to go to that seminar though.
    That is exactly why I want you to teach the class, real world experience vs theory. I am way more interested in the biology of the shrimp and have questions about that, I do okay at catching them.

Rob I will pass along anything I learn assuming I get to go.

That is exactly why I want you to teach the class, real world experience vs theory. I am way more interested in the biology of the shrimp and have questions about that, I do okay at catching them.

Rob I will pass along anything I learn assuming I get to go.
    record the show on your phone ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I thought about that, I have a go pro that would do it as well bit not sure how the guy giving the talk would feel about it. I moose.

I thought about that, I have a go pro that would do it as well bit not sure how the guy giving the talk would feel about it. I moose.
    Its a public meeting giving out public information ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

All I know is listed above, but yes if it's public I should be allowed to tape it.

Well I attended along with about 10-12 others. Not super exciting and mostly covered the regulations and some habitat info. The most interesting thing I saw as the graph relating soak time to number of shrimp. From there numbers it looks like much over 30 hours and the numbers drip off for whatever reason, he mostly thought the bait was spent by that time. They did not have the shrimp numbers for last year yet, they are expecting them in them next week but for 2012 they stayed under the guide line harvest levels, however the non commercial catch was over its limit but the commercial folks were under there limit so the overall harvest was under the level set. He said this year will be five pots again and the same season as last year. There was one question about possibly putting limits on the number of shrimp per year and the presenter thought that was not likely and if they did anything it would be to reduce the number of pots again if necessary. He also mentioned that if the guide line harvest level falls below a given number that the commercial harvest will not happen, I think that number was somewhere around 100K lbs of shrimp, 2012's GHL was 160K, with 60% going to rec and 40% to comm.

He said he will be giving basically the same presentation at the sportsmans show this spring and will have the 2013 numbers at that show if we were interested or we could call/email and he could give them to us.

All in a it was a good way to spend an hour of winter thinking and talking about shrimp.

30 hour soak ??? in 30 hours i've had them up & down 8-10 times !! Didn't have catch numbers ??? they only had since late october to get that done. What have they been doing ??? I know they do other fisheries but seems like a awful long time to not have some info. Its funny i have to call them before i can take a shrimp off the boat or get a ticket/fine and give them all kinds of info but they can take all winter to digest those numbers and might just have them available a month before the season starts ! Typical government at work

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

But you shrimp for $$, sometimes us rec guys like to go fishing or sleep in a bit.

I was surprised they did not have the numbers as well. I guess ripping thru thousands of the rec guys permits must take some time for the one guy who does it part time.

But you shrimp for $$, sometimes us rec guys like to go fishing or sleep in a bit.

I was surprised they did not have the numbers as well. I guess ripping thru thousands of the rec guys permits must take some time for the one guy who does it part time.
    Even before i did the com fishery i would haul like that, my theory is you only catch what is around the pot, they don't keep coming from far away. It must only one person that does the numbers because every person i have talked with about shrimp always tells me "i'm in charge of the fishery" all queen bees and one worker bee !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

It was pretty boring overall.

What I don't 'get' is that they are counting the shrimp for next year's management based on what we killed last year.......now how long do you think that is going to be sustainable for with the numbers of sport fisherman increasing on a yearly basis?

I asked him if he was swimming around counting live shrimp - LOL!

The fish and game don't manage fish and game. They manage money and politics.