Thread: Boat for Valdez in August

Default Boat for Valdez in August

I would like to know what kind of boat is best for fishing out of Valdez. Salmon mostly and I don't want to buy a huge boat, would really like to rent. I'm only there for salmon but would like try some halibut fishing. Want something safe and dry. Thanks

Are you looking to rent or buy, your question above mentions both? If you are looking to rent, your options are pretty limited. Fish Central rents small open skiffs, and if you are military the Air Force has some nice bay boats that they rent out. I'm not sure what the pricing is on either of them though.

If you are looking to buy, I would consider anything in the 21' class and a top good enough if you plan to stay close and you have the time and ability to pick your days (stay out of the water on small craft advisory days). There are several boats out on Craigslist and Alaskalist that would meet your needs just find. Valdez has the ability to get pretty rough in the afternoon inside of the narrows due to the northwesterly breeze, either stay out until after 7pm or try to be back at the dock by 2pm.

Ron

What Ron said is true. The skiffs that are rentable are good for fair weather days and around port on calmer days. There are halibut within the port but you have to fish longer and harder, deeper. I think the skiffs are limited to Galena Bay. By that time silvers and pinks will be in the harbor and the fishing fantastic right there. I would rent in as far ahead as possible. Silver season usually sees high usage. Are you military?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Best is a pretty broad question and we all have our biases and you need to narrow down your use including how many people, how far you want to go from port, how many days you want to spend on the water. Safe has more to do with who is at the helm than who made the boat, and ocean tanker should be safe in any condition you'd be out in, but Joe Hazelwood prooved different. If you want dry then you definately want a boat with a pilothouse.

To me a C-dory 22 or Hewescraft Oceanpro 22 is a good starting point for a relatively safe and comfortable ocean going boat for PWS fishing, you can certainly go larger or smaller with pro's and con's to each direction.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

and everyone else so far too! I sent you an email with another option to consider. And....sometimes two Ron's do make a right

Would love to rent but rentals are not big enough or dry enough most of the time. It hurts to buy a boat to use 4-6 weeks out of the year. I'll check the sites you recommended. Thanks

I saw these guys advertising on Alaskalist today: http://www.alaska-boat-rentals.com/ They are out of Whittier but they have some nicer boats for rent. for the price of renting for 4-6 weeks its way more beneficial to buy though IMHO.

Ron