Thread: June trip Anch-Valdez-Denali

Default June trip Anch-Valdez-Denali

This years trip is going to be a little less fishing, more sightseeing, June 6-17th. First few days in Seward, hopefully harvesting some reds and halibut. Then the loop above.
    Any waters along that route with salmon runs active then? Looks like the Gulkana runs later, but the Copper is going well in early June. Is there any fishing on the copper, or is it reserved for the dipnet fishery? Any other salmon rivers along there I'm not aware of?
    I'd also like to do a little grayling fishing...thinking there must be some inland rivers along that route that I can try? Not looking for trophys, I'd just like to catch a few for the first time.

Tons of grayling along the Denali hwy. Most small creeks have them. Try Brushkana, Seattle, and Tangle lakes. If you have time rent a boat or canoe from tangle lakes lodge and head out from there. Good luck
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Your in the wheel house for the first run of Reds on the Klutina normally the June 6-15 ish changes from year to year but most years your fine to fish them in numbers during your travels. What MJM316 said for Grayling

Rent a motor home and go where ever you want.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Think I saw your post on another forum??

1. get a Alaska Highway Angler Book

2. check rental agreement and policy before you drive the Denali hwy. The road is rough, and yes has good location for arctic grayling.

3. Klutina is a good choice for early June sockeye salmon, timing is everything with salmon in the fresh water migration. factors of water levels/temps/conditions all come into play.

4. if you would like additional detailed information use the "contact us" located at the website www.alaskansalmonslayers.com we are not experts, but we do catch many fish all year long, and do not mind sharing information to other sportfishermen.

Hope you have a great trip
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks for the replys guys. We do have an RV, it is allowed on the Denali highway. Great news about the Klutina... Ill read up on it. SS... You might have seen my post on fishing, mn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If you are heading to the Gulkana we would love to have you! Check us out at www.gulkanaraftrental.com. Day trips as well as multiday adventures!

Walt
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last year june 15-16 no reds at klutina because late melt snow. rivers were high . me and buddy went to anchorage after driving to klutina and bust. so we went to anchorage to catch kings than moved to sheep creek to catch more. check weather
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

Good to know, thanks. How do the rivers and snowpack look this year?
    Maybe an early spring and it gets the reds there in time. We'll be by there the 11th or 12th, if we miss em oh well, then we're in Denali for 3 days, then heading home.

Snow pack in the Copper River Valley is below normal but lots has to do with spring snow fall and how quickly we melt. Last year we had a lot of rain and the snow melted fast, thus the muddy rivers. Shoot me a PM in late April or even mid may and I can let you know what it looks like on the ground.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    9078-259-4290

Thanks walt i'll do that !