Thread: Meat yeild on a ling cod

Default Meat yeild on a ling cod

OK Halibut you get about 50% so a 30lb fish gets you 15lbs of fillets give our take. How much meat do you get off of a 30lb ling cod?

I would say its about the same or a little less. A ling cod has a big heavy head

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

A commercial cutter is doing good to top 30% on average. To top 35% you need to really cut close and clean, plus save the belly.

More ling cod that I would ever care to eat.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I agree with you on the big ones. Just waaaaay too course for my tastes.

But those 10-15# models have a very low survival rate when they come over the side of our boat!

I would have to agree with Brownbear, 30-35% but it is good smoked.
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Yeah, I agree with others. 35% is good. All depends on the cutter. Ideally, do it yourself and do it right. Many years ago I did a long offshore Ling charter and the deckhand maybe pulled 25% off at best. It was a sad sight to see. I always prefer to cut my own.

Scott

I've never weighed the fillets so not sure what a realistic yield is. But considering how big their head is and how often they've got quite a bit in their bellies a 30-35% yield seems reasonable. One thing to consider is if you'll retain the belly meat or not. That'll probably yield a pound or two on a larger fish, but is most likely to contain some worms.

I haven't noticed a difference in the quality of the meat of the larger lings but the largest I've taken was 40#'s.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I haven't noticed a difference in the quality of the meat of the larger lings but the largest I've taken was 40#'s.
    Taste is just fine, but the grain gets awfully course as they get bigger, along the lines of halibut getting courser as it gets bigger. If we don't have any ling in the freezer and fishing is slow, we'll keep a bigger one rather than go without. But when given a choice, the 10-15's go in the freezer and anything over about 20 goes back over the side to spawn and fight again. Our deal, and certainly not a finger at anyone else.

So what length are the 10-15# fish? It seems like I'm hit or miss for lings over the years so not too picky on what I keep, so long as it's over 35".
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Never measured or weighed, actually, but on the order of 36". We don't have a size restriction, so it's pretty informal.

Son-in-law got one so big the head wouldn't drop into a 5-gallon bucket, but we never weighed it. I made sure when he flew home every scrap of it went into his fish box though!

Here is a really good publication that gives the yields - http://www.alaskaseafood.org/industr...ldsbooklet.pdf

Lings and Black Rockfish are my favorite by a mile!

I am with you on the black rockfish kgpcr, they are my favorite
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

Lings on the grill. Black Rockfish ARE mighty good, and the only fish I like to bake, stuffed with butter, celery, onions etc. or stuffed with a shrimp or crab cake recipe...Yum! We used to keep and cook small lings whole on OR and CA coast to max the yield, and same with black rockfish; just gut and gill. Leaving them whole not only increases yield, easy to get ALL the fish meat, the entire skeleton comes out in one piece. Also, IMO, just tastes better when cooked with bones in, just like a porkchop or steak does! And, with guests, nothing more impressive that a lingcod head

Yum! Now we're down to the important stuff- good eats!

You want something interesting and delicious, hack the ling into pieces the same thickness, brush it with olive oil, and smoke it. Probably the best smoked fish I've ever tasted.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yum! Now we're down to the important stuff- good eats!

You want something interesting and delicious, hack the ling into pieces the same thickness, brush it with olive oil, and smoke it. Probably the best smoked fish I've ever tasted.

Sounds like a plan! going to search the freezer and see if I have any ling left, otherwise, a great incentive to try a recent tip I got to try a live greenling to catch the BIG lingcod next July!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I would say its about the same or a little less. A ling cod has a big heavy head

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
    And a big ol gut. Caught a whopper 2 years ago and it had about 4lbs of salmon in its stomach.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.