Thread: What's your favorite Range?

Default What's your favorite Range?

Just curious. What's your favorite mountain range to hunt sheep, and why? Not looking for folks to give away their favorite sheep hunting locations, although if you feel the need you can PM me with the coordinates, just wondering what ranges folks enjoy hunting most and the reasons for it.

The Alaska range,, can see it from my front porch, but can't find a place that is not over run on my side, by commercial operations.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great memories from the Wrangell Mountains. Great scenery too.

2 trips to the brooks and it is really neat country. Last winter was rough everywhere and did a number on the old rams as well as low lamb recruitment. Hopefully this year will be better for them but I probably won't go back until they get a couple good winters. I would love another stab at the Chugach if I can ever draw a tag. This year will most likely be the Talkeetnas and that is really cool country.

I guess that doesn't answer the question. I want to experience them all and would be just as excited with any of them as a destination.

hands down ALaska range... if you are willing to work you will never see another hunter and have a reasonably high chance at harvesting an above average ram

Chugach !!!! Hands down......If I can get as lucky as my wife, I'll walk out of there with a great ram on my back.

Hard to beat the ruggedness and beauty of the Wrangells
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

My favorite range is the one that I am lucky enough to be hunting in or lucky enough to draw. The Alaska Range has been good to me and I day dream of those mountains every time I look at my ram on the wall. Although based on my observation it was hit hard in the winter of 12-13. Cannot wait for another opportunity to head to the Alaska Range but, I will wait a couple of years for those 3/4 circle to grow up. I have not hunted the Chugach but dreaming about the possibility of one day seeing one of those heavy, deep, double broomers.....

My favorite is the Kenai. Full curls and double broomer rams in every drainage, high success rate, few hunters, no brush, and remote. Could you ask for anything more out of a mountain range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AK flyster View Post
    My favorite is the Kenai. Full curls and double broomer rams in every drainage, high success rate, few hunters, no brush, and remote. Could you ask for anything more out of a mountain range?
    Ha! Love it!

Still, I took my first ram on a solo hunt in the Kenais when I was 19 or 20, and those mountains definitely hold a special place in my heart after that experience. It's not where I would look for a quality sheep hunt, but I do love that area!

Any mountains that I am hiking in! The lower the better for me!

I have to say the Brooks. I already had several sheep when I took a friend on his first Sheep hunt. Waking up the first morning after hiking in to our spike location I peeked out the tent to see a single Ram coming DOWN to cross the drainage. Jack, wake up I whispered. What time is it he asked?
    Never mind, if you hurry you can shoot your Ram from the tent. So, what time is it ? just past 5 AM. Well, get me up about 7Am he says. Geez, we came all this way and you want to sleep instead of putting your boots on ? So frustrating. Anyway, he finally gets up, boots on and just his skivvies And has to go about 100 yards and decks a real nice tight curl Ram. Hey, bring my camera, that's how close we were to his Ram.

For the next 7 days I was on Rams each day (my, but was that ever fun ) and finally got a 39.5 " beauty. Bush plane dropped us off at Deadhorse airport and I even got on the plane with my horns, 9=270 shells and a Buck knife on my belt. Jack slept in every day and never climbed around with me. Oh well, I still have Sheep fever some never get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I have to say the Brooks. I already had several sheep when I took a friend on his first Sheep hunt. Waking up the first morning after hiking in to our spike location I peeked out the tent to see a single Ram coming DOWN to cross the drainage. Jack, wake up I whispered. What time is it he asked?
    Never mind, if you hurry you can shoot your Ram from the tent. So, what time is it ? just past 5 AM. Well, get me up about 7Am he says. Geez, we came all this way and you want to sleep instead of putting your boots on ? So frustrating. Anyway, he finally gets up, boots on and just his skivvies And has to go about 100 yards and decks a real nice tight curl Ram. Hey, bring my camera, that's how close we were to his Ram.

For the next 7 days I was on Rams each day (my, but was that ever fun ) and finally got a 39.5 " beauty. Bush plane dropped us off at Deadhorse airport and I even got on the plane with my horns, 9=270 shells and a Buck knife on my belt. Jack slept in every day and never climbed around with me. Oh well, I still have Sheep fever some never get it.
    Awesome story,,, you are correct. Sheep fever, some never get it, other like us will die with it.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    and those mountains definitely hold a special place in my heart after that experience. !
    They always will for me too. Real good times for sure
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!