Thread: Wiley Post's pocket knife

Default Wiley Post's pocket knife

A gift to my dad from Wiley Post in Fairbanks in 1935. Dad and a group of kids met Wiley and Will at the airstrip some time before their ill fated flight. A friend had read an interview given by my dads brother who was among the group and witnessed the event. He asked me what had become of it. I have had it in my upright tool chest for over thirty years. I thought it was time to share the story and the picture.

DSCN0107.jpg

Pretty cool knife/pliers....a leatherman from the past!
    BK

Nice piece of history! I would hope you have it insured for everything. I wonder what Antiques Roadshow would value it at.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    Nice piece of history! I would hope you have it insured for everything. I wonder what Antiques Roadshow would value it at.
    I think it is pretty cool. I know it is authentic but to prove that it is the knife that Mr post gave to my dad would be impossible. I have no pictures or serial numbers to back up the provenance.

I am happy to have it just the same.

Very cool to think where all that knife may have been.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That is awesome piece of history. Sorry to say I had look up who Willie Post was. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tcraft View Post
    I think it is pretty cool. I know it is authentic but to prove that it is the knife that Mr post gave to my dad would be impossible. I have no pictures or serial numbers to back up the provenance.

I am happy to have it just the same.
    It might be that an affidavit, properly witnessed and notarized, might be sufficient. I've no doubt that that very special knife would bring five or even six figures at auction. At the same time, I doubt that you wish to sell it. It's truly a piece of history !!!

Smile

I just got off the phone with my aunt. She said that my uncle was on an audio taped interview about the early days of Alaska and the Wiley Post story was part of it. My uncle said that member of the chamber of commerce presented the famous duo with a bouquet of roses to which he responded ,"thanks", handed them back and returned his attention the youngsters. I Love that part of the story.

I will receive a copy of the transcription.