Thread: .375 Ruger #1 in Alaska (ammo choice)

Default .375 Ruger #1 in Alaska (ammo choice)

I'm setting up my .375 #1 to use this year. I'm thinking I will use it on my caribou hunt but if a legal moose or bear shows up I plan on taking them as well.

What bullet would you choose? Why? I'm wanting something I can buy over the counter.

I've been thinking a 300 grain barnes just because I've had good luck with it in my .338RUM

thanks

You're thinking right. Can't go wrong with Barnes Triple Shocks.

Yup, the federal safaris with 300 grain TSX shoot great in my .375, I shot a .4 MOA group with them once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have had very good luck with the TSX in my Ruger 375
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

my one worry is the 300 grain TSX is a hollow point. Doesn't seem like a very good choice for big bears? Other Barnes choices?

If you want to go with 300 grain bullets go with the 300 grain woodleghs if you can find them, might have to order online. If not go with 260 grain accubond, thats what I'm runnin' in my 375 H&H.

Is this the stuff you are talking about:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-FEP375WH

Looks like good stuff!

I like 300 grain noslers in 375 h&h never had any issues and they are easy to find over the counter. I've seen moose and brown bears hit and it does the job. The moose through both shoulders and exited. Bear straight on center shot out back leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Is this the stuff you are talking about:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-FEP375WH

Looks like good stuff!
    I wouldn't go with the solids for here, thats more for cape buffalo, I would go with the traditional woodleighs...look into the noslers, those 260 grain will drop everything in it's tracks here in AK.

Does your Ruger have the 20 inch barrel? I have the Alaskan with that barrel length. I haven't tried the 300gr TSX yet in mine but I have shot quite a bit of the 270gr TSX with very good results. Some people Iv talked to said the 300gr bullets with that barrel length don't do quite as well. If I was just hunting bear I would use the 300gr but with the 270gr bullet you will get more velocity thus better trajectory for those longer shots. It will also be just fine for moose and bear. Like others have said you wont need solids for bear. But you do need a quality expanding bullet.

I've had great success running the 250 gr TTSX out of my 375 ruger...

My title is misleading... It's the Ruger #1 .375 h&h I believe the barrel is 24". Last night I did a ton of reading and really liked the Federal .300 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw Safari nickel plated. Only problem I can see is keeping couple hundred rounds on hand lol. Stuffs not cheap.

my one worry is the 300 grain TSX is a hollow point. Doesn't seem like a very good choice for big bears? Other Barnes choices?
    Huh????? the Barnes tsx is not your run of the mill hollow point. It does not act like a Berger vld or Sierra hollow point. They hold together very well for some folks almost hold together to good.... So get some rl 15 or h414 300gr tsx and load them up and go kill something.

I know I've had very good luck with the Barnes triple shock out of my 338 RUM but never taken a large bear with it. I use R19 in it with a 250gr. triple shock. Just don't have my reloading stuff set up at the moment.

Curious why that would bother you in a monolithic bullet?

Just worried about it over fragmenting into smaller pieces...

Nice gun...I have one also. I've been shooting Federal Premium 300 grain Nosler Partitions and achieving good results. Going to try some 300 grain Hornady DGX soon and see how they shoot.

Good thing you got your hands on this #1 in 375H&H now as they have discontinued it in that caliber I see on their website.

Just worried about it over fragmenting into smaller pieces...
    You're not likely to get much fragmenting with any 300 grain bullet in the .375 H&H. For North American game, I'd not select a 300 grain pill in any guise. You could go with something like THIS or THIS if you thought you needed every extra little bit of penetration. Personally, I'd prefer THIS over any 300 grain load for caribou, moose and grizzly from your .375 H&H and would take the $ saved and put it toward more ammo.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Before I started reloading for my .375, I was using the Hornady 270 gr dangerous Game with great results on Moose. Since I've started reloading, I've been using nosler 300gr Accubonds. I haven't taken anything with them in the 375 yet but took caribou with my 30/06 using accubonds and can't say how they retained weight since it was a through and through shot. For big bears, I'm planning on using Nosler 300gr Partitions. I know they will hold up to hard impact on bone and still penetrate. I'm shooting a .375 Ruger, not an H&H and pushing the 300gr arround 2750 fps.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    You're not likely to get much fragmenting with any 300 grain bullet in the .375 H&H. For North American game, I'd not select a 300 grain pill in any guise. You could go with something like THIS or THIS if you thought you needed every extra little bit of penetration. Personally, I'd prefer THIS over any 300 grain load for caribou, moose and grizzly from your .375 H&H and would take the $ saved and put it toward more ammo.......
    I agree, the .375 h&h just isn't moving fast enough to fragment any premium bullet in my opinion.