Thread: HB 202, Delta Bison Management

Default HB 202, Delta Bison Management

Received this today and thought you might want to know about it. I say No to HB 202

House Bill 202 sponsored by Eric Feige will change the way the Delta Bison are managed in the future. The Board of Game is meeting next week in Fairbanks and will make a decision on this.

The bill will:

· Increases the application fee for bison drawing permit from $10 to $20
    · Require inclusion of “mitigation of bison damage to farm crops, and farm and personal property…” to game management plan.
    · Authorized Commissioner of DNR to make grants to property owners for mitigating or preventing bison damage.

What this basically means is we will be paying the farmers to put up fences and any damage incurred. If a moose comes onto my property and destroys my fruit trees and eats my garden I do not expect the state to pay for damages and to build me a fence. That is my responsibility. The moose were here first and if I don’t want them on my property then I need to build a fence. Same with the bison. The bison were there well before any farmers and if they want to keep them off of their property then they should pay for the fence not us. I don’t mind paying more for bison application fees if the money goes to increase the heard size and management but I don’t want to pay for someone else’s property improvements.

If you agree with this please let send an email or fax to Darren Bruning, the Area Biologist in Delta Junction and he will pass your emails or faxes to the BOG next week. Please pass this on.

Fax 907-459-7258

Darren.bruning@alaska.gov

Agree with what is stated above. However should this go through it should include the provision that no mitigation to personal property should be paid to land owners that don't allow public hunting for no fee. A little off topic but the same should be said for state predator control. It should not take place on private holdings in the state that don't allow unrestricted public access for hunting.

Sorry forgot to add this.
    On a separate issue not about HB202 but about bison, there is a recommendation by the Delta Bison Working Group to reduce the herd size from 360 (precalving) to 275-325 (precalving). I say hell no!! This is the most sot after tag in the state and the DBWG want to reduce the heard?! Tell the BOG that you want the herd increase not decreased. Pass it on.

E-mail sent to Darren with my thoughts.
    Thanks for bring this to light.
    BK

The BoG does not "decide" legislative bills. That is up to the House and Senate. If a person wants to comment on this bill, he/she should write or phone their reps.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thank you and I also sent out an E to him, and would like to encourage those that do not plan on hunting bison in the future and feel the same to E-mail Darren your views as we need to stick together. Thank you. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    The BoG does not "decide" legislative bills. That is up to the House and Senate. If a person wants to comment on this bill, he/she should write or phone their reps.
    This may be true but it was my understanding that the BOG has to sign off on it.

Having read the above comments and having been amidst the Delta Bison Controversy for over a decade:

Personally I would have no problem paying more for my Delta Bison Drawing Hunt application if it was earmarked to benefit the bison by enhancing the Delta Bison Range, but HB 202 has no provision to channel increased revenues toward the wildlife but instead makes hunters funds available to the agricultural community.

Much of the Ag Land, currently in production, has been recently fenced. How this will affect bison migration and other wildlife remains to be determined.

This is a legislative issue and your comments are best directed toward your legislator directly or through your favorite lobbying organization; AK BHA, AOC, SCI, SFW, PETA, Al Gore etc....

Need to "bump" this thread. I wonder if the admins would be interested in a section for pressing hunting/fishing issues such as this or front page stickies on wildlife issues and meetings. Some of this stuff gets buried quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post

What this basically means is we will be paying the farmers to put up fences and any damage incurred.
    Where do they come up with this crap...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

4mer

Federal Farm Subsidies are declining and new sources of revenue are being explored.

There will be a committee hearing on HB 202 on Friday the 21st.

We sent a e-mail to our Rep in Juneau and she replied that 'this bill went to the Resource Committee last April and that is where it sits'.

Quote Originally Posted by Happily View Post
    Need to "bump" this thread. I wonder if the admins would be interested in a section for pressing hunting/fishing issues such as this or front page stickies on wildlife issues and meetings. Some of this stuff gets buried quickly.
    That is the intent of our wildlife and fisheries management forums. Unfortunately, it seems that stickies get overlooked just as much or moreso as our subforums, so having management issues in their own forum seems to be the best solution.

Last Friday a hearing was held on HB202 and with my poor hearing I was unable to participate via speaker phone [that's why we voted to move the capitol a few times]. The participation was loaded by the local Farm bureau and only one participant challenged the bill. The intent is take the additional $10 of your draw application money and transfer to DNR and SWCD [soil & water conservation district] for distribution to farmers for fencing and crop damage.

Public Testimony on this bill will be heard again on Friday 28 Feb 2014 at 1:00 PM
    Full Text of the Bill can be read at http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...02A&session=28
    Please contact your Representatives to Vote No on this Bill or use the Public Messaging System http://www.legis.state.ak.us/poms/

Paul

VernAK thank for clearing this up and the info, and also thanks you coykir for posting the link to the Public Messaging System. I just recived this in an email. So people if you really want to be paying to build fences for farmers don't do anything, but if you do have a problem with it you need to send a message NOW. Time is about up. I believe "Alaska still is what the rest of America used to be" let's keep it that way. By that I mean SPEAK UP.

Thanks for posting this info, I sent comments to my reps. Trying to do my part and be proactive.