Thread: 99 johnson 15hp wont start

Default 99 johnson 15hp wont start

I have a 99 Johnson 15 hp motor that I cant get to start and or run any thoughts on pointing me in the right direction for repairs? So I have good fuel, spark and compression. But when I try to start I get NOTHING not even trying to turn over is there something electrical I may be missing.., something with the coil?, auto kill switch. Any help would be appreciated thank you

If you have good fuel, spark and compression, it would start. Is the good fuel getting to the cylinders? Is the spark happening at the proper time?

You have the big three needed to make combustion. Can you tell us more about them? What is the compression? How do you know that you have fuel and spark?

One good thing to check is your wires going to the starter and starter solenoid if theyre to corroded it wont turn over or start. If you noticed at any time when itdid run your starter was stickimg on perhaps the solenoid is stuck open .

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    I have a 99 Johnson 15 hp motor that I cant get to start and or run any thoughts on pointing me in the right direction for repairs? So I have good fuel, spark and compression. But when I try to start I get NOTHING not even trying to turn over is there something electrical I may be missing.., something with the coil?, auto kill switch. Any help would be appreciated thank you
    Does I have a shear key on the flywheel? If you have spark at the wrong time it won't start.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/John...leshooting.htm - a link for troubleshooting the 9.9/15 Johnson/Evinrude

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outb...0articles.html - links to OMC info and repair

I found these links very helpful when I had a Evinrude 15

I used to have a mercury and i was afraid to pump the ball cuzz i thought ir would flood i wasnt even gettong gas to the motor pump that ball hard

Drain the carburetor bowls, change or drain the fuel filter (if there is one), pump the primer ball hard to refill them, you can use a little starting fluid to get it to fire and get things moving again. A lot of these old motors have been sitting for a while and likely need a carb rebuild (gaskets, O-rings, float, etc...). The kit is pretty cheap but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you have some experience. If you have the other things needed for it to run (spark and compression), you should be good to go.

You have "good fuel", but is your fuel good? How old is it? It might be worth draining the system and replacing with fresh fuel if it has been sitting for a year or two. Otherwise, I agree with the timing issue.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

DirtofAK is probably onto something here! I have the same motor, just a couple years newer and 3 years ago I was in the exact same situation you are in...Good fuel, good spark etc. As it turns out, the flywheel key had partially sheared which threw the timing off enough that it just wouldn't run.

thank you all for responding to my problem, I will be working on it again next week when I have time off. Going to check into the flywheel shear key... and solenoid. thanks again and keep those ideas coming if you think of anything else

I've got an 8 horese e-rude, fairly similar motor of smaller displacement. The only two problems I've had with it were water in the gas, and a grain of sand that clogged the carburetor jet that I must have introduced when I tore the carb down to get the water out.

Spark, at the right time, fuel in the proper proportion and compression and you should get the vroom vroom sound.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I am with Paul think simple first, dump old fuel, pull plug and add a little fuel and see if it will start. If it does you have a fuel delivery issue.
    Most gas looses octane in a short time my 2 stroke chain saw will not run on year old fuel.

Check the kill switch as well...may be corroded and closing the circuit.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Check the kill switch as well...may be corroded and closing the circuit.
    I was under the impression that if the kill switch was engaged, there would be no spark. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I was under the impression that if the kill switch was engaged, there would be no spark. No?
    Unless there is a lot of corrosion in the switch or wiring causing weak spark. Saltwater?

Another possibility is that it has weak spark. What color is the spark?

Have you done a compression test? Dry and wet?

If it has a rubber boot for the carb, see if it is cracked.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks again for the replys, had another crack at it today and do I feel small.... long story short, hooked the motor up to a DIFFRENT tank and off she went! The up take hose on the inside of the tank I tried first was not connected, just laying on the bottom of the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    The up take hose on the inside of the tank I tried first was not connected, just laying on the bottom of the tank.
    Yeah....kinda need that.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

While it's almost always something simple, I gotta say that's one I'll have to add to the list, haven't seen that just yet. Bad fuel bulbs yes, but broken fuel uptake.....no.

Wouldn't feel bad, at least you didn't dig into the head first.