Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats is everyones choice for scopes and magnitude.

Default Whats is everyones choice for scopes and magnitude.

Whatkind of scope is everybody using for their main rifle, And if its a stainless rifle, do you have to have a stainless scope, or do you prefer the black ones? thanks!, Dave
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default I like black scopes!

My go to rifle is my Tikka T3 lite synthetic stainless in 7mm Rem Mag. I wears a 3-9x40 Leupold VXII. When I bought the scope I didn't think to open it up at the store, and sure enough they gave me a glossy black scope. That would have looked funny, but the guys at sportmans in fairbanks gave me the flat black finish with no hassle at all. I like the flat finish on my rifle, the stainless scope draws too much attention from my eyes.

I mounted a matte Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x on my stainless Ruger .338WM. Since the stock is matte black, the scope looks great on it.

I've got a matte black Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36 with the Boone & Crockett reticle mounted in Talley lightweight ring/mounts on my stainless Tikka T3 Lite in 300wsm.

Stainless rifle and silver scope is too much silver for me. Seems like it might reflect more light and stand out a little more to game too.

Got an old Leupold 6x on my Rem 30/06. Done a lot with it over the years and don't find the fixed power a hinderance

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

I have a plain jane leupold straight 6 poweron my main big game center fire. It came with my first gun my dad bought me 20 years ago. And the scope was used then. There is more dings and scratches on that scope than youd believe. Still accounts for hits every year. Love the leupy's.

I have a couple others, 2-7's and a 3x9. Those arent being used much, they are on my playing around at the range guns. My 788 has a sightron 3x9 on it, great scope.

I have a burris 2x7 on my muzzleloader. That is a good scope too.

I have a Weaver Grand Slam 6-18, it performed beutiflly on My Ar-15 on kodiak in inclement weather hunting for foxes.

Bushnell pistol scope on the cassull and a nikon on the model 41. Real happy with those scopes too.

In short, I have a lot of diffent scopes. All of them work very well, and have been tested in a variety of conditions. I have owned a couple of the super cheap bushnells and tascos. Those are pretty much crap.

All in All though, I think most scope mfg's make quality products.

I have a Leupold 3.5-10 on my 308win. The rifle is stainless, scope is black. I prefer black scopes, don't really care that it didn't match when I first mounted it. Now the barrel, receiver and rings are olive green, but I kept the scope black. The contrast makes it interesting. Should look even nicer when I get my wood laminate stock. I like my guns to look nice, but I just don't like the looks of the silver scopes.

I wish I would have gotten the 2.5-8 instead, and I think I'm going for the 1.75-6 on my 9.3x62.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    Whatkind of scope is everybody using for their main rifle, And if its a stainless rifle, do you have to have a stainless scope, or do you prefer the black ones? thanks!, Dave
    It depends on what you're using your main rifle for. It doesn't matter if the scope is stainless or not. It just depends on what you prefer. What is your main rifle?

Im using a Weatherby Vanguard Stainless 338 wm as my main go to rifle, topped with a matte black Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36. I prefer open sights, but just wanted to know what others choose to use.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

That sounds like a perfect setup to me. I have a Winchester Model 70 338 and a Model 70 Coyote 270 wsm and I am always torn between which one I want to take bou hunting. It usually depends on where I go because one of them weighs a bit more than the other. I usually take both of them in the truck though.

Kahles 30mm, 3-12x56 in Black on my Steyr stainless Prohunter 300 Win. Mag... Gun weighs right at 10 pounds! a little heavy but I like it. ...K

On my 35whelen I have a leupy vari-x III 1.5x5. On my 338 I have an old steel tube 4x weaver, on my 30-06 I have a VX-II 2x7. My wifes 30-06 sports a vx-I 3x9. right now I'm having a 338 made on a mauser and I happen to have another weaver 4x that I'm sure will find its way on it. The rest of my rifles are open sights.

As for the stainless thing, I cant help you since I dont have any stainless rifles.

Thumbs up Matte VX-III...

My favorite setup is a A-Bolt stainless/synthetic .300 Win Mag topped with a Leupold VX-III 4.5 - 14 X 50 matte finish scope. I have not had to move the dials more than 1 tick in over ten years of hunting. I would like to put a VX-7 1.5 - 6 X 24 on my new 416 Rigby. Anyone have the VX-7?

Default All black Leupolds

My main rifle is my Kimber Montana 325 wsm, it is topped with a VXIII 4.5-14x40mm LR (LR is simply 30mm tube, way more light transmission) B & C reticle in matte black. My other rifles have matte black leupolds if they are synthetic stocked or gloss finish if they are walnut stocked. I really like the looks of the new Leupold GUN METAL GRAY finish, very sexy. I haven't got my hands on one yet.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default peeps

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    Im using a Weatherby Vanguard Stainless 338 wm as my main go to rifle, topped with a matte black Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36. I prefer open sights, but just wanted to know what others choose to use.
    If you like open sights have you considered a good receiver sight like a williams? I use those on my 2 remington pumps and my marlin lever action. They are quite accurate and quick. Scopes are great but the peep sight is underrated as far as I'm concerned.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

On a 338, the biggest consideration is eye relief IMO.

On mine, I use a 2x7 Bushnell Legend. The rifle is not SS, but I think I'd make the same choice if it was.

It's pretty compact size-wise. The Legend 3x9 is huge by comparison.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Scope

Leupold 2.5 X 8 by 36 mm in matte black with duplex recticle. Sits on my custom Mod. 70 .338 Win. Mag. If I had a million dollars I would not change scopes! They just got it right with that scope.

Wink

Remington mountain rifle lss 30-06, Nikon , silver 3x9 Monarch, Leupold stainless steel rings, and base.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default scope

i've got a nikkon monarch 5.5-16.5x44 on my remington 700 30-06. i did a fari bit of shopping around for scopes and went with the nikkon. poor college kid here so money was an issue but for mid level scopes this was a good deal. started off lookin at bushnells but this turned out to be the better scope for a better price. i just mounted it a couple weeks ago took it shooting couple times have been very happy with it. can't wait for moose season.

I've got a Leupold Vari XIII 3.5 x 10 in black matt on a Winchester model 70 300 win mag stainless synthetic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast