Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dall Sheep

Default Dall Sheep

I rarely post on here but I cannot make up my mind so I thought I would throw out a question to the most secretive group of folks in the world. Sheep hunters! If a guy was to do a Brooks range fly in for Sheep would you go east or west of the Haul Rd? I know that's very generalized but wanted to get openion without trying to pry a "honey hole" Ive done research on some areas on both sides and cant make up my mind.
    Thanks

Hands down; East.

The opposite of whatever a sheep hunter says.
    (I have no brooks range experience, this is merely a general rule for sheep
    Hunting information )
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    The opposite of whatever a sheep hunter says.
    (I have no brooks range experience, this is merely a general rule for sheep
    Hunting information )
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Sheep on both sides,, research will show why one side has more "huntable land" than the other. This late in the year,, anywhere an Air Taxi will take you. This late most of the common areas will be booked and if not now, they will be a few days after the draw results are released.
    Founding Member

Most all the Brooks Range west of the haul rd. is Nat. Park, until you get to unit 23. Your not eligible to hunt Park lands. East of the haul rd. is all Refuge. All are eligible to hunt there. If your going to use a transporter, talk with them on where they can drop you and have a good chance at success.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    But....if you think he's telling you east and he really means west.....then again, he might think you're trying to trick him into that, so then what.....this could go on forever...DANGIT! lol

Got to the F&G website. Look up 2012 - Sheep - Brooks Range - Harvested. That'll show you the GMUs and Subunits that were successful in 2012. https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...harvest.lookup

If your not a resident of a few selected communities you'll have to hunt in the Reserve area if you want to hunt West of the Dalton.

HAHA you guys are funny..
    I still have some time. I am stuck in Korea for this hunting season but saving my money for a grand excursion in 2016 so I have some time.
    Thank you all .. I had noticed the Park issues and had been leaning toward the east because of it but there is some habitat available for west though limited until you get to 23 as martin had said.
    Thank you AK cowboy. I knew this was out there but never could find a link for it though it was right under my nose...That helps.
    Hopefully posting pics of my hard earned ram in 2016.
    Good luck this season and will be watching the posts for motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    Got to the F&G website. Look up 2012 - Sheep - Brooks Range - Harvested. That'll show you the GMUs and Subunits that were successful in 2012. https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...harvest.lookup
    I looked up 26B and cannot believe all the 7yo Sheep taken. hope this was 1st Ram harvested for these hunters as anyone who has already harvested a Sheep would holdout or go home with the tag in their pocket.

One sheep every (8) Eight Years would slow that down.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I looked up 26B and cannot believe all the 7yo Sheep taken. hope this was 1st Ram harvested for these hunters as anyone who has already harvested a Sheep would holdout or go home with the tag in their pocket.

Mr Rolan, you are correct and there was also a large number of 6 year olds as well. That does even include the sub legal rams taken and I believe the sub legal number will continue to increase as people compete for fewer and fewer legal rams and as competition increases and causes hunters to make poor shoot don't shoot decisions.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    I have commented on this before and darn near got run off the forum. I believe there is a huge population of sheep hunters who will shoot a marginal ram rather than go home with just the experience on their back. This is unfortuante but this seems to be the times we find ourselves in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post
    This is unfortuante but this seems to be the times we find ourselves in.
    Could be. As the population of the state grows there will be more and more inexperienced sheep hunters on the mountain. I would tend to believe that these "hunters" will end up being a lot kids that are new to hunting altogether much less just sheep hunting. As a person that is nearing his social security years, I've seen a lot of (NOT ALL) "irresponsible" behavior coming from of the younger generation. The respect is just not there like it used to be. This disrespectful "smoke em" type behavior will also manifest on the mountain. Until parents start teaching kids how to be responsible AND respectful, I'm afraid we will see more and more of this.

About the only other way I think it may start getting better would be to have stiffer penalties when a hunter violates the rules. But there again, a lot of rams may be left on the mountain to rot too. Hard to say what it will take to change this...???

Oh and for the record, I don't think every kid that says "smoke em" is a bad kid. It's just something that I don't particularly like to hear. Perhaps it's just part of that "respect" thing that I'm talking about?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I started hunting four years ago and have been on four sheep hunts two brooks and two Alaska range hunts. Every year we get within a couple hundred yards or closer of a 15/16 or close ram. After at least twenty hours of looking at close rams from close distance with high quality optics I am zero for four. Always get home and think what if or should have taken that one. I just couldn't make the decision of legal so I passed. There are people out there that still wait for the one that speaks to you as wow he is legal for sure. So I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and looking at every picture I can just for a little more education. This year might be my year but who knows. Not all young hunters are shoot first ask later but if I see a full curl six year old ram I would not hesitate to take him. Good luck to all Tekla

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Not all young hunters are shoot first ask later but if I see a full curl six year old ram I would not hesitate to take him. Good luck to all Tekla
    Seeing that you posted this right after my post, I will assume you are referencing what I said. And I just want to point out that I did say "NOT ALL" are irresponsible. As far as I'm concerned, after what you've said here, you are a VERY responsible hunter and I say kudos to you...!!!

Defiantly not a responce to you 4mer maybe bad timing on my part. Just a general statement to all these sheep posts that people are refrenceing a young rams being taken. In my opinion if it's full curl or legal then go for it. Just because it's only six or seven I would not hesitate to harvest one.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    In my opinion if it's full curl or legal then go for it. Just because it's only six or seven I would not hesitate to harvest one.
    As far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with that opinion.....a legal ram is a legal ram. We would all like to kill a big ram, but I love having sheep meat in my freezer so much that unless I am pretty sure there are going to be more chances at a bigger bodied ram on a hunt, pretty much the first legal ram I see I will try to kill.

Tekla,, the point about the Rams harvested getting younger is not about you or anyone else taking a legal ram, the point is that the entire harvested population is getting younger. Indicating that more and more of the legal rams are being harvested as soon as they get legal.

My wife took a "squeaker" this fall and since it was her first I would have her do it again and if I were you I would do the same.

I will never bash any hunter for taking legal game using legal means.

Best of luck to you and all this fall and lets all hope our name gets pulled for a draw tags next Friday.

Steve
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast