Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heater Juice

Default Heater Juice

Where are you guys buying your Kerosene? $50 at Freddies is going to get mighty steep this spring/summer. Is there a better alternative?

Ron

It's called #1 diesel......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It's called #1 diesel......
    Seriously? I thought it would be better to burn something a little bit cleaner. Wallas says it will burn both, but I was hoping on overhauling it less frequently.

Toyo stoves are some of the most high tech and efficient stoves there are and they say right in the manual that in Alaska they can burn #1 diesel. Reason being is that Alaska produces some of the, if not the, cleanest diesel in the world.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

What is diesel from the gas station pump? #2?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

My first seasport came with the wallas stove/heater. The guy from the factory told me the best thing to run through it was paint thinner. Its the only thing I used for five years.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    What is diesel from the gas station pump? #2?
    In the Winter it's closer to #1,in the summer it's number 2. Stations can order it so it does not gel at a given temp. So every station can be different, some stations actually post the temp there fuel is good to.

My Espar and wallas cook top both eat pump diesel.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have been running #1 for 5 years and no problems

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I burn number two diesel, straight from the fuel tank. The Scan Marine guys recommend diesel over kerosene for the Wallas stoves. Used to buy "stove oil",, number one from Tesoro but haven't had any issues with the number two.

I run #3 diesel. Just kidding, but this sounds like a chevy/ford/dodge debate. Sounds like a lot of different fuels are usable and a lot of different fuels are recommended from different sources.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Wouldn't the kerosene burn "cleaner" as it's more refined? I'm having a wallas cooktop and oven put in the new Wooldridge. For those burning pump diesel and paint thinner, any smell at all in the cabin when heater, cooktop etc are running? Thanks!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Wouldn't the kerosene burn "cleaner" as it's more refined? I'm having a wallas cooktop and oven put in the new Wooldridge. For those burning pump diesel and paint thinner, any smell at all in the cabin when heater, cooktop etc are running? Thanks!
    I run diesel from the pump in my Wallas furance and there is no odor in the cabin unless I spill diesel when I'm filling the fuel tank. Runs like a top but I only have one season on it so far (and multiple days thoughout the winter).

We used to get #1 at the fuel dock in whittier, i don't know if they still have it though.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have used #1 diesel in my wallas for 8 years without fuel related issues. It burns clean and doesn't stink too much. I used to run Klean Heat, but SCAN told me to run #1 on it after the rebuild and I have. It is much cheaper and seems to be fine.

I have a webasto furnace, and the builder plumbed it right into the main fuel tank. It has run #1 and #2 at different times of the year, and has thousands of hours on it without any issue. The only time it does not work is when it gets cold (below 10 degrees or so in the driveway). Once ti warms up, it starts working again.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

We run #1 diesel in our Webasto heater with no issues.

We run diesel in our Espar, no issues.
    BK

I had to send my Wallace in to Scan Marine early in the summer because it quit working, guys there said after servicing it they could tell it had a lot of hours of NOT burning kerosene (I used paint thinner or diesel) yes it Can burn diesel & paint thinner but for the most trouble free hours and clean burning stick with kerosene.
    I also had an Espar installed by advanced diesel on the other boat and got the exact same info; it can burn diesel & kerosene but kerosene is best.
    For me, if what they say is on par, I'll gladly pay double per gallon to avoid an issue; I mean really all things considered, we don't blink at spending 800 bucks to fill up our boats so it's not a huge concern to spring for a potentially better fuel for these heaters. One trip sending these things in buys a lot of kerosene
    I put 700 hours on my boat this summer and honestly the kerosene cost for the wallas was pretty minimal. Even the Espar d4 didn't seem all that thirsty running on "high".
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

These Espar units are made to siphon directly out of the main tank of a tractor trailer, ie...diesel.
    Don't know about the other brands though....
    BK

Just replaced glo plug screen in my D4 after two years running kerosene and it was clean. Guess I'll stick with kerosene. As Big Jim said it's only a drop in the bucket of the cost of boating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast