Thread: truck bed slip tanks

Default truck bed slip tanks

I debated asking this question in the RV forum but thought with all the pilots around here this might be the best place. I am interested in getting a slip tank (transfer tank?) for my truck bed, but all the ones I see at AIH and online say they're intended for diesel. I want it to haul gasoline. As far as I know, Av Gas is closer to gasoline than diesel so maybe someone on here could advise me where I could find a roughly 90-100 gallon tank suitable for gasoline?

I took that sticker off the tank and it has worked fine for the last 6 years.
    DENNY

HAH! I have a habit of getting burned for circumventing engineering controls or guidelines. I figured there was a reason, maybe the pressure from increased volatiles that gasoline gives off, and at the very least I'm sure it would void a warranty.

Greer Tank and Welding. Fill it full of gas. It's a liability thing, just fill it up and forget about the diesel/gas issue.

Private guys aren't governed by DOT rules. I've had my Weather Guard (AIH) tank for better than 10 through 3 trucks with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Private guys aren't governed by DOT rules. I've had my Weather Guard (AIH) tank for better than 10 through 3 trucks with no issues.
    So it's just about DOT rules? Nothing about its construction? I did find some on the internet that were rated for gasoline as well as diesel, none around here so it'd have to be shipped; but visually I couldn't tell the difference...

DOT regulations are enforced on commercial vehicles and commercial drivers. Those guys have to comply with regs. One of the regulations is that cargo fuel tanks of 120 gallons or more require a CDL and a hazmat endorsement. My AIH tank holds 100 gallons so I figure as a private guy I'm not too concerned with DOT compliance. My bolted-in tank is better than carrying a couple of 55gal drums tied in with an old rope, and I see that all the time.

If you use a Weather Guard tank you will need to add a vent. When mine was new and I filled it with cold fuel on a cool morning and later in the day the temperature rose? The tank swelled. I can imagine that could be a problem if left unchecked. I drilled a vent hole in the filler cap and it's been golden for 10 years. I don't know what other guys have done for venting their tanks but my way works for me.

Off topic a little. Anyone here park at Merrill? Is there still a restriction that prohibits fueling your planes from a personal vehicle tank?

I park at Merrill. I dont know of a restriction but that means nothing. I fill out of 5 gallon jugs and 15 gallon jugs many times a year. I dont see many fill out of a pickup tank. Wouldnt be suprised if there is a restriction or a extra charge!

Double walled, aluminum, 110 gallon, tanks on Supercub.org

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

ESSENTIAL Oil in Wasilla/Palmer Hwy also has the slip in tanks, replacement hoses and most portable refueling accessories along with 100LL on site...not sure the brand...