Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Young outdoorsman in need of some gear!

Default Young outdoorsman in need of some gear!

First off, if the moderators feel this isn't the right place for this thread feel free to correct/move.

Alright fellas, I just joined the Big Brothers Big Sisters program and after a pretty long wait they finally connected me with a little. I asked that they would pair me with someone that truly liked the outdoors and was willing for adventure (and if he also liked archery that would be more than perfect!) Low and behold he wants to learn archery/hunting!

Im not sure if you all know what the program is or what it stands for, but basically it sets up younger kids with a mentor that they can call their big brother and hopefully learn some life long lessons along the way. In my particular case my little (kid they paired me with) has never had a dad in his life and his mom thought this would be a great opportunity for him.

The reason for posting this thread is I'm first wanting to get him a bow and ease him into the sport of archery, hunting, and whatever else he would like to do. The only problem being, is the big (me) isn't supposed to buy him anything of any real value and a new bow would definitely fall into that category. Soů if anyone has an old bow out there just collecting dust (or any other hunting items in general) this would be a perfect way for it to get some use. He is turning 12 in a few months and is in the 5th grade, so if you think the bow/gear you have may fit him it would be more than appreciated!

I also forgot to add if its easier to contact me via phone my number is 904-364-3188. Thanks guys!

And a pic of me and the young man you would be helpin out..
    WS-B.jpg

I don't have any gear I can offer, but I would like to thank you for investing your life in this young man!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have a hoard that destroys all our gear but I bet there are people that have some serviceable equipment to donate. It would help if you posted his sizes. Maybe take a trip to Sportsmans to figure out what hand he shoots along with his draw length and weight.

Great idea on taking him to Sportsmans and getting him sized up. I will probably do that here in the near future. I do know that he is right handed, but will update the rest when I find out. Thanks for the comments so far!

If you are not looking for a wheelie try trad gang.. Lots of folks there who can help with trad bow stuff. I have a pair of small frogg togg bottoms and some other stuff if you have sizes.. Also I work with that org to get kids across the bay, so let me know if that would be of help.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

What size boots? I have some hunting boots that my son wore for one season that don't fit him anymore, he wore them a couple seasons ago when he was in 5th grade.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    If you are not looking for a wheelie try trad gang.. Lots of folks there who can help with trad bow stuff. I have a pair of small frogg togg bottoms and some other stuff if you have sizes.. Also I work with that org to get kids across the bay, so let me know if that would be of help.
    Wheelie/trad..makes no difference to me! As long as he's havin fun! I will check into the trad gang, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    What size boots? I have some hunting boots that my son wore for one season that don't fit him anymore, he wore them a couple seasons ago when he was in 5th grade.
    Im actually meeting him today for some ice cream and to get to know him more. I will find out his shoe size then and let you know. A pair of hunting boots for him would be great!

My boy has a pair of boots he outgrew as well...

PM Sent.

Manůmy kid outgrows stuff all the time. Post some sizes and what not and it will help.

I can't imagine 2 or 3 kids wearing some of this stuff out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    PM Sent.

Manůmy kid outgrows stuff all the time. Post some sizes and what not and it will help.

I can't imagine 2 or 3 kids wearing some of this stuff out.
    Replied to the PM and will hopefully get sizes posted ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I also forgot to add if its easier to contact me via phone my number is 904-364-3188. Thanks guys!

And a pic of me and the young man you would be helpin out..
    WS-B.jpg
    Thank you for doing this.......you're a good man...!!!

Rep sent...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Alright hoose35 and homerdave. His shoe size is 6 1/2. Something in that size or a 1/2 size + or - may work.

Ours are 7's

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Ours are 7's
    Probably worth trying out. They should definitely work next summer if not this one. Do you come into Anchorage often? I'm pretty flexible on when I can meet.

I think I have a bow, but it will be first week of Apr before I could get it to Anchorage. It is an Alpine Archery compound bow, should have the case, arrows and maybe a release. It is a junior sized bow.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I think I have a bow, but it will be first week of Apr before I could get it to Anchorage. It is an Alpine Archery compound bow, should have the case, arrows and maybe a release. It is a junior sized bow.

Steve
    That is awesome! And April isn't to long at all! Just let me know (when the time comes) what works for you as far as when/where you want to meet up. Im sure he will be more than thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    That is awesome! And April isn't to long at all! Just let me know (when the time comes) what works for you as far as when/where you want to meet up. Im sure he will be more than thrilled!
    Sounds good, I will get it all together and send you some photos once I get home and send you a PM to arrange a meet. Send me a PM 24th of March or so to jog my memory,, I get CRS sometimes.

Good on ya,, I think you both will benefit from the experience.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sounds good, I will get it all together and send you some photos once I get home and send you a PM to arrange a meet. Send me a PM 24th of March or so to jog my memory,, I get CRS sometimes.

Good on ya,, I think you both will benefit from the experience.

Steve
    Sounds great, we will both be looking forward to it! Thanks Steve!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast