Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Young outdoorsman in need of some gear!

  1. #1
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default Young outdoorsman in need of some gear!

    First off, if the moderators feel this isn't the right place for this thread feel free to correct/move.

    Alright fellas, I just joined the Big Brothers Big Sisters program and after a pretty long wait they finally connected me with a little. I asked that they would pair me with someone that truly liked the outdoors and was willing for adventure (and if he also liked archery that would be more than perfect!) Low and behold he wants to learn archery/hunting!

    Im not sure if you all know what the program is or what it stands for, but basically it sets up younger kids with a mentor that they can call their big brother and hopefully learn some life long lessons along the way. In my particular case my little (kid they paired me with) has never had a dad in his life and his mom thought this would be a great opportunity for him.

    The reason for posting this thread is I'm first wanting to get him a bow and ease him into the sport of archery, hunting, and whatever else he would like to do. The only problem being, is the big (me) isn't supposed to buy him anything of any real value and a new bow would definitely fall into that category. Soů if anyone has an old bow out there just collecting dust (or any other hunting items in general) this would be a perfect way for it to get some use. He is turning 12 in a few months and is in the 5th grade, so if you think the bow/gear you have may fit him it would be more than appreciated!

  2. #2
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    I also forgot to add if its easier to contact me via phone my number is 904-364-3188. Thanks guys!

    And a pic of me and the young man you would be helpin out..
    WS-B.jpg

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    I don't have any gear I can offer, but I would like to thank you for investing your life in this young man!
    Vance in AK.

    Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

  4. #4
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I have a hoard that destroys all our gear but I bet there are people that have some serviceable equipment to donate. It would help if you posted his sizes. Maybe take a trip to Sportsmans to figure out what hand he shoots along with his draw length and weight.

  5. #5
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Great idea on taking him to Sportsmans and getting him sized up. I will probably do that here in the near future. I do know that he is right handed, but will update the rest when I find out. Thanks for the comments so far!

  6. #6
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    If you are not looking for a wheelie try trad gang.. Lots of folks there who can help with trad bow stuff. I have a pair of small frogg togg bottoms and some other stuff if you have sizes.. Also I work with that org to get kids across the bay, so let me know if that would be of help.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  7. #7
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    What size boots? I have some hunting boots that my son wore for one season that don't fit him anymore, he wore them a couple seasons ago when he was in 5th grade.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  8. #8
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    If you are not looking for a wheelie try trad gang.. Lots of folks there who can help with trad bow stuff. I have a pair of small frogg togg bottoms and some other stuff if you have sizes.. Also I work with that org to get kids across the bay, so let me know if that would be of help.
    Wheelie/trad..makes no difference to me! As long as he's havin fun! I will check into the trad gang, thanks!

  9. #9
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    What size boots? I have some hunting boots that my son wore for one season that don't fit him anymore, he wore them a couple seasons ago when he was in 5th grade.
    Im actually meeting him today for some ice cream and to get to know him more. I will find out his shoe size then and let you know. A pair of hunting boots for him would be great!

  10. #10
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    My boy has a pair of boots he outgrew as well...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  11. #11
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    PM Sent.

    Manůmy kid outgrows stuff all the time. Post some sizes and what not and it will help.

    I can't imagine 2 or 3 kids wearing some of this stuff out.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  12. #12
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    PM Sent.

    Manůmy kid outgrows stuff all the time. Post some sizes and what not and it will help.

    I can't imagine 2 or 3 kids wearing some of this stuff out.
    Replied to the PM and will hopefully get sizes posted ASAP!

  13. #13
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    I also forgot to add if its easier to contact me via phone my number is 904-364-3188. Thanks guys!

    And a pic of me and the young man you would be helpin out..
    WS-B.jpg
    Thank you for doing this.......you're a good man...!!!

    Rep sent...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  14. #14
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Alright hoose35 and homerdave. His shoe size is 6 1/2. Something in that size or a 1/2 size + or - may work.

  15. #15
    Member homerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    homer, alaska
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Ours are 7's
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

  16. #16
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Ours are 7's
    Probably worth trying out. They should definitely work next summer if not this one. Do you come into Anchorage often? I'm pretty flexible on when I can meet.

  17. #17
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    I think I have a bow, but it will be first week of Apr before I could get it to Anchorage. It is an Alpine Archery compound bow, should have the case, arrows and maybe a release. It is a junior sized bow.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  18. #18
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I think I have a bow, but it will be first week of Apr before I could get it to Anchorage. It is an Alpine Archery compound bow, should have the case, arrows and maybe a release. It is a junior sized bow.

    Steve
    That is awesome! And April isn't to long at all! Just let me know (when the time comes) what works for you as far as when/where you want to meet up. Im sure he will be more than thrilled!

  19. #19
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    That is awesome! And April isn't to long at all! Just let me know (when the time comes) what works for you as far as when/where you want to meet up. Im sure he will be more than thrilled!
    Sounds good, I will get it all together and send you some photos once I get home and send you a PM to arrange a meet. Send me a PM 24th of March or so to jog my memory,, I get CRS sometimes.

    Good on ya,, I think you both will benefit from the experience.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  20. #20
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Sounds good, I will get it all together and send you some photos once I get home and send you a PM to arrange a meet. Send me a PM 24th of March or so to jog my memory,, I get CRS sometimes.

    Good on ya,, I think you both will benefit from the experience.

    Steve
    Sounds great, we will both be looking forward to it! Thanks Steve!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •