Thread: Backpacking Holster

Default Backpacking Holster

I donít live in Alaska but do pack in the great of outdoors more for 2-legged critters then predators. Anyway I am looking for a good way to carry my side arm and wear a full frame pack at the same time. I have a problem un-holstering with the hip belt with a standard holster. I have rigged chest holsters (never purchased) before and tried a drop tactical style holster but did not like either. I mostly carry a .44 mag. but sometimes I take a 9mm or .32 S&W Long. Any great solutions?

I use one of these designed for a 500 S&W for my 44 mag taurus ultra light. http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/ I like the holster and it appears to be very well designed and constructed. I wear it with either my day pack or freighter pack in comfort, but it would be more comfortable if I replaced the padded shoulder strap with a normal piece of nylon webbing.

Brook
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

It depends more than anything on the design of the pack- where the waist belt and shoulder straps hit you. I've tried lots of variations and finally settled on attaching the holster to the shoulder strap of my backpack so it hangs crossdraw about even with the bottom of my ribcage- About right for my build for easy access without hitting my elbow on the pack, as happens with most waist carries. Sewed a loop of 2" nylon web to the shoulder strap in just the right spot, then I attach the holster to that. Nice thing is, it lets me use different holsters and guns. I usually carry a 4" 629, if that gives you any idea of size and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by primitiveliver View Post
    I don’t live in Alaska but do pack in the great of outdoors more for 2-legged critters then predators. Anyway I am looking for a good way to carry my side arm and wear a full frame pack at the same time. I have a problem un-holstering with the hip belt with a standard holster. I have rigged chest holsters (never purchased) before and tried a drop tactical style holster but did not like either. I mostly carry a .44 mag. but sometimes I take a 9mm or .32 S&W Long. Any great solutions?

My pack gun is a 4" S&W Mountain Gun in 4 Mag, which I belt carry in a Bianchi 111 Cyclone Crossdraw. The Cyclone is my favorite outdoors carry holster, bar none. Depending on mode of travel (on foot, horse, ATV, or truck) I position it behind or in front of my weak side hip as far as need be for comfort. A really good, made for the purpose gunbelt is the key to comfortable belt carry. So being, I use a custom gunbelt I had made by Gunner's Alley. Works like a charm even with a pack.

I have carried a Glock 20, a Sig P-220 and a 1911 in an Eagle Industries chest holster. It can be adjusted to hold the firearm at a couple different angles. So basically the gun is flat across your chest. You back-pack does not interfer, aircraft seatbelts do not get in the way, and ,,,,,if you drop your trousers for the call of nature, the gun is high and dry up on your chest and not hanging piles up on the ground.
    El paso leatehr also makes them in leather and will make one form fitted to your firearm. (revolvers included)

Universal Special Operations Holster
    List Price: $66.10

> More Images
    > E-mail a Friend
    > Bookmark Page

Product Description: The SOH-U can be adjusted in three positions; vertical, canted or horizontal. The harness is lightly padded and adjusts for maximum comfort.
    Quantity
    Price
    Part Number
    Color
    Size
    Hand

$66.10
    SOH-UR-45/BHP
    45/BHP
    Right

$66.10
    SOH-UR-LGE
    Large
    Right

$66.10
    SOH-UL-45/BHP
    45/BHP
    Left

$66.10
    SOH-UL-LGE
    Large
    Left
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I had an Anchorage fireman make a chest holster for me, 5" S&W Mod 29. I like the idea of a chest holster best of all, it lets you make and easy carry with chest waders on, or back pack. A real plus when you are in any kind of vehicle. Nothing worse than a hip holster in a vehicle.

Default David Johnston

Keep your business in alaska! The fireman in question can be found at www.davidjohnstonleather.com If it's made out of leather he can make it for you.

You might want to give Rob a try, his info is at this link.http://www.simplyrugged.com/grizzly_...ear/index.html

Default Alaska Sportsman Hoster

I have tried some different combinations in the past, but my favorite so far has been the Alaska Sportsman Holster, which I carry a 7.5" RUGER SRH in .44 Mag. I find that it doesn't interfere with my backpack and that it's very comfortable to carry for a variety of activities. If it is raining, the gun is covered by my jacket and not out in the weather like it would be on my hip. Only negative is that while climbing steep stuff, it's possible to slip and hit the gun on stuff. So, if I have to scramble, I will take it off and put it in the pack.

Default Tactical Thigh Rig

Works the best for me in the woods, out of the way, yet right there when you need it.

Default Alaska Sportsman Holster - Beware

Thought I might save a someone the frustration. I would not recommend placing an order with Alaska Sportsman products. I placed one on the 5th of February for my 5" custom 500 with scope based on this thread and a couple other google hits. The card was billed immediately. Heard nothing for 2 weeks then called and was told it would ship the following week. It's been a month now. Still no holster and no reply to multiple emails and voice mails.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I always recommend Dave Johnston's "Guide's Choice" chest holsters too. They're unbeatable.

Howsomever,,,,,

In olden days, I usta just put my belt up around my neck and back around under my arm, buckle it, and place the holster anywhere it was outta the way of the pack straps. The beeg issue was keeping it outta the brush, but it was also readily accessible.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

When backpacking, I always carry my swaro 8x30's on my chest. David's holster would be great except....thats where my binos go!! Anyone else found a good solution for backpacking/binos/and a handgun?

Default Excellent product, but service lacking in your case...

Quote Originally Posted by ccgDalTxUsa View Post
    Thought I might save a someone the frustration. I would not recommend placing an order with Alaska Sportsman products. I placed one on the 5th of February for my 5" custom 500 with scope based on this thread and a couple other google hits. The card was billed immediately. Heard nothing for 2 weeks then called and was told it would ship the following week. It's been a month now. Still no holster and no reply to multiple emails and voice mails.
    A lot of guys express satisfaction with this holster, but the customer service you describe is sure lacking - and in spite of your best efforts to communicate with them. An explanation at least would certainly be in order.

Some Alaska businesses are quite small (single digit staff all with other things going on in their lives, just like the rest of us), and often there's a reasonable explanation, but even small businesses serving the outdoors market here have found ways to communicate to their customers when the business owners/operators are having health or personal or other issues distract.

IF...you get this holster (before cancelling your order in aggravation), you might appreciate its strengths - carrying two speedloaders and your revolver handily without adding much extra weight. The wide platform keeps the pistol from flopping around - and facilitates faster draw.

It's not perfect - I have found the shoulder strap narrow - and wants to wear a groove in my shoulder after constant wear on extended trips. This season I'll add padding or widen that part somehow.

Other holsters mentioned on this thread sound worth trying to me - and surely offer other advantages. Hope Ak Sportsman Products (http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/) responds to your inquiries soon. If not, there appear to be many fine options. Let us know what happens.

Good luck.

Default Follow up Alaska Sportsman Holster Beware Post

All, in fairness I wanted to follow up on my post about Alaska Sportsman products. I finally received an email from Dan Collins last night and he indicated the product had shipped they day before so fingers crossed. Will try to post some pics when received.

Purchased one from Diamond D leather, works great with my pack, can position to wear in couple of locations. $100+, but is the best holster for my s&w 44, if you do a search you will find a thread on it