Thread: Deshka landing (Whats the difference)?

Default Deshka landing (Whats the difference)?

Whats the difference in the two boat launches? and do they have names.

The basic difference between the 2 is more a matter of " if " there is enough water to use the newer one. I don't know the name of it. I have used it and there is usually less of a crowd or wait to launch or retrieve. Would be nice if he was able or allowed to dredge it although it would take some work as it is a short run up the slough.

Default Launch names

The Deshka Landing is the name of the one at the end of the road. The other one is just before you get to the end of the road on the right and is the "Riverside Launch" and is operated by Kevin Spurgeon, don't know if He has a phone or not, but like the other post states it takes a lot more water for His launch to be usable.

and if my memory serves me right, riverside launch is a little cheaper to launch from.

Default Is Riverside Launch Open?

Is the Riverside Launch next to the Deshka Landing open yet this year?

With the water being low I wasn't sure. Waiting for 2 hours at the Deshka Landing doesn't sound appealing.

No it's not open because of low water. Was up there Sunday and the water is extremly low. The water is low both on the Big Su and on the Deshka. We didn't have any problems on the Big Su but the Deshka was another story. We ran up to the weir and there were 1/2 dozen spots that unless you knew what you are doing you were going to either get hung up or drag your hull and intake across the gravel. We did not have any problems going up, but the way out was a tad bit hairy. I would not recommend anything larger than an 18' john boat with an experienced driver until we get some rain to raise up the water level. I've got a 16' tunnel jon. The water level at the weir was 2.09 yesterday and has been gradually falling all week. Sunday it was at 2.14. On Memorial day it was at 2.35. Was out on Memorial day and we did not have any problems running to the weir.

Default Landings

I am with Francko on this one. The river is low. Use a LOT of good judgement and you will do fine. The Deshka Landing has done a fantastic job in getting back into operation with all they experienced last year during the flood. The Big Su water levels have seemingly been at both ends of the spectrum, either extremely low or at flood stage. Deshka Landing has managed to work through it all though and proved to be a valuable resource to the community. They deserve a big thumbs up for serving all the lower Susitna/Yentna River users.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I am with Francko on this one. The river is low. Use a LOT of good judgement and you will do fine. The Deshka Landing has done a fantastic job in getting back into operation with all they experienced last year during the flood. The Big Su water levels have seemingly been at both ends of the spectrum, either extremely low or at flood stage. Deshka Landing has managed to work through it all though and proved to be a valuable resource to the community. They deserve a big thumbs up for serving all the lower Susitna/Yentna River users.

Even further down on the Su there are gravel bars that were not there a few weeks ago.

As far as Deshka Landing.....Rule 7! The log wall scares the heck out of me!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/