Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September Sheep?

Default September Sheep?

I have been considering booking a sheep hunt in 2015 with one of two different outfitters. The only availability in 2015 is for the first week in September. My options are to book this hunt or wait until 2016 for an August hunt.

Any suggestions/warnings about hunting sheep in the Brooks in September? Is the weather too much of a risk, should I wait until 2016? I am anxious to get out there, so would really like to hunt 2015 but seeing that it is a once-in-a-lifetime hunt I want to make sure I am not going to be sitting in a tent for 10 days waiting out a storm.

Also, any opinions on either Thor Stacey or Dave Morris would be helpful. I have read some good things about Dave on here in the past.

Thanks!

This photo was taken on Aug 20th in the Brooks last year,, If it was me I would wait and go earlier. Some years it is fine,, others not so much.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I tried to send you a private message but I do not think it took. Part of my message referred to the weather. In my experience over the last 6 years, most of the blizzards occurred in Aug and not Sep. I did hunt in Morris's area early last year and we took two rams. If I had my choice I would do it later. Oh, ya; I do have a choice and that is what I am going to do. Although it could be just to the west. Let me know if you want more info.

Thanks Cheech....I sent you a PM. Let me know if you did not get it.

Thor Stacey knows how to hunt sheep has spent more time in the brooks than any other guide twice his age.

Quote Originally Posted by Quail-Dog View Post
    Thanks Cheech....I sent you a PM. Let me know if you did not get it.
    You can't do pm's until you have a few more posts......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    You can't do pm's until you have a few more posts......
    That used to be true, but we've changed the initial settings. We've gotten the spam problem mostly under control, so there's little need to restrict PM privileges.

I used to work on the pipeline, now I work on the slope. Bad weather can happen anytime of the year. I've seen it snow on the 4th of July in the mountains many times. I've also seen very warm temperatures in August. I did a sheep hunt in the Brooks at the end of the season in 2008. When we started, it had just snowed and then the temperature dropped to single digits. We had some problems finding water sources that weren't solid. Took a little doing, but we finally found some. By the end of that hunt about a week later, the temperatures were in the 40s.

If it was me, I'd book it for 2015. The only think you can count on for sure as a difference between early season and mid to late season is the length of the days.

Good luck and have fun!

Go early... late can be a real disaster.

Would highly recommend Thor Stacey for eastern Brooks sheep hunt. Like horse said, he's been out there a long time.

Sent you a PM with my contact info.

Another question you might ask is if the actual outfitter will be your guide or will you be hunting with a hired assistant guide and just how seasoned that person is if that is the case.

First week of September is a fine time to be in the sheep mountains. Take a good puffy coat and a warm sleeping bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullcurl View Post
    First week of September is a fine time to be in the sheep mountains. Take a good puffy coat and a warm sleeping bag.
    Sure is. Seen more then one big ram come out of hiding in the later season and let his guard down!

A hunt in AK is a crap shoot with the weather no matter the month. Book the hunt for 2015! If you wait on good weather in AK you have already missed it. Late has its advantages with a guide IMO. He has seen the sheep and been up there all fall and he may be able to put you on that one he just coudnt get a client on earlier!

Out of 20 plus sheep hunts in Alaska, only one was on opening day, last year we came out on Sept. 18th! One hunt in the Brooks (north side) we got picked up on Sept 12th! never saw another hunter and we looked at 20-25 legal rams till we shot the ones we wanted...that was 1995, them days are over!....grin....late is much better IMHO!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

If I had the choice, I would be hunting LATER!

I would agree, go late....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Why put of another year? Weather can happen at any time. And you can also get hit by a bus at any time. Hunt while you can as soon as you can, that's my motto.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Why put of another year? Weather can happen at any time. And you can also get hit by a bus at any time. Hunt while you can as soon as you can, that's my motto.
    That's a good motto!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast