Thread: not exactly photography

Default not exactly photography

I recently got my hands on the new video camera I have been lusting over for months. I haven't had a chance to take it into the field, but been playing with it around the house. So far I think it's awesome. It's the Panasonic dvx 100b.
    If I knew how to spell Tim the Toolman's noise he makes I would. :-)

Default Panasonic

I had had my eyes on a Canon GL2 for months but recently talked to a videographer who mentioned the same camera you just bought. I'd be interested in your thoughts on why you went with the panasonic over the Canon. I can't afford a camera like these right now, so for now I'm getting a Panasonic PSG-83 to get me by. Have fun with your new toy.

Default 100b

I've owned canon cameras for years. I still have a 7 year old Optura that has served me well. My original plan was to get a gl2.
    I did a lot of research over the winter. The 100b uses 1/3" sensors compared to the gl's 1/4" sensors. That should translate into better color definition and color depth. The sound quality is supposed to be better with the Panasonic camera too. A week point with the gl1, but improved with the gl2. Shooting in low light is supposed to be better with my camera too. There are more shooting options than the gl2, which in particular the 24p mode is interesting to me, because it gives a more cinema-like look than regular video when edited. Panasonic and Final Cut Pro play very well together too. I've seen more issues expressed with the Canon and FCP. And the 100b has a Leica lens.
    I shot a wedding last weekend for some friends (very happy with the results) and have yet to take it out to shoot scenery and animals. When I do I'll load some clips onto youtube and post links.