View Poll Results: What is most important to you on a sheep hunt

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't want to feel crowded by other hunter.

73 60.83%
  • I want to see BIG rams

13 10.83%
  • I want to see lots of full curl sheep

22 18.33%
  • I am ok with seeing other hunters and mostly sub-legal sheep with a chance at finding a full curl.

12 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt poll

Default Sheep hunt poll

What do you look for most in a sheep hunt?

I would select option one, but I fear that will lead us to making the entire state draw-only. In the balance between opportunity and hunt quality, I went with option four.

Lack of pressure would be nice, I'm at the point in my life where old rams or go home empty.....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

#4.... Kind of. We would all love it if our hunting partner were the only person we saw during a hunt. It's the 3/4 and 7/8 curl rams in numbers that made me choose this one. Being a "baby" sheep hunter, I just want to see sheep and hopefully put on a stalk or three.

I picked #1. I don't like hunt with a crowd at anytime, especially in the mountains. If that means sheep hunting going to draw only, then I'm ok with that
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

IMO, Dall sheep are one of the most desirable trophies in the U.S. and I don't want them to ever be in jeopardy. If sound science says less hunters is a good idea, then I am all aboard. Carpenter Creek was a joke last year and it was the first time I have ever seen a five-man group with only one sheep tag. Totally disgusting. A funking Army.

What is the solution for "not feeling crowded?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    What is the solution for "not feeling crowded?"
    The obvious answer is to be willing to go further than others, but that's hard when there are a lot of people willing to do the same thing. Some draw hunts offer relative solitude, but then you have to fight the odds of the draw.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Perfect medicine for people to want to make the whole state a draw hunt, while non residents aren't limited. No resident should accept any reduction in opportunity until the non-resident has a cap on their numbers. Your cutting your own throats. While you are sitting there waiting to see if you draw your sheep tag once ever four years, I'll be harvesting a ram every year. Good luck.

I chose #1, but mostly, never having taken a sheep, I just want to find a legal one. Anytime that I hunt I prefer to be alone or with the crew that I chose to go with. Doesn't work that way all the time though. Enjoying the wilderness on my terms is extremely satisfying and gratifying to me.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Perfect medicine for people to want to make the whole state a draw hunt, while non residents aren't limited. No resident should accept any reduction in opportunity until the non-resident has a cap on their numbers. Your cutting your own throats. While you are sitting there waiting to see if you draw your sheep tag once ever four years, I'll be harvesting a ram every year. Good luck.
    Get sum Mike! Love it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

For the 16.39% that said 'I want to see lots of full curl sheep, I take it most of you are rookie sheep hunters? ........lol. I mean really?.....where in "la la" land Alaska do you plan on hunting....I mean besides in your dreams???..........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    For the 16.39% that said 'I want to see lots of full curl sheep, I take it most of you are rookie sheep hunters? ........lol. I mean really?.....where in "la la" land Alaska do you plan on hunting....I mean besides in your dreams???..........lol
    It asked what they want... not where to find it.

I would love to have full curl rams around every corner. It would show a robust and healthy sheep population that wasn't shot out.

sent from my igloo

I Pondered at this alot, and I will say... I voted, "I want to see BIG Rams !!!!" I'm surprised more didn't opt for this, Because you just don't see alot of bigger rams today in just about every "huntable" area. I figured seeing more mature Big Rams, would allow you to see more regular full curls (IMO), I would not even consider the fourth choice at all, I really don't want to see other hunters, with maybe a chance to see a fullcurl, forget it. And if I feel crowded, I'll move to another location, sometimes it means putting some miles in the boot leather, but Alaska is big, Like I said before, there's places in AK thats yet to see a boot track (IMO) And if I'm certain That I am chasing a 40-plus inch ram, I will hike through the Darkest hours of the night, just to lay my hands on him in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I picked #1. I don't like hunt with a crowd at anytime, especially in the mountains. If that means sheep hunting going to draw only, then I'm ok with that
    I think I agree with this.. I hate to feel that I NEED to beat someone to an animal. I would much rather enjoy the hunt and set my own pace. Not feel as though Im in a rat-race.

If you choose less crowded then big rams will come,
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    It asked what they want... not where to find it.
    I realize you couldn't tell I was being facetious....my mistake. I know what "it asked". But in imo, if seeing lots of full curl rams is what's MOST important to a person on a sheep hunt, then, these days, he is being pretty unrealistic. There "might" be some ram nirvana where there are dozens of big rams and "lots" of full curls hiding behind every rock, but I wouldn't doubt they are extremely secluded, where a person can't realistically hike to them, float to them, nor land a plane close to them. And imo, getting to them is one thing, but getting them out before the meat spoils is yet quite another.

I guess "lots" would be a relative term. Personally, (these days again) if I were to see maybe 5 full curl rams on a hunt I would think that would be a lot. But I guess some may need to see 30 to be considered a lot. Although I agree that it would be nice to see "lots" of full curls, I only need but one. Again, I guess I was just trying to be more realistic....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

For the less crowded guys, have you hunted the coveted DCUA or applied for the tag? If so, what is your perception?

Here's some stats
    1. The DCUA has more hunters per square mile than any HT area in the state;
    2. The rams killed in the DCUA are on average one of, if not the youngest in the state;
    3. NR make up about 5-8% of the tag holders, and guiding is very limited; and
    4. The chance of drawing a tag is about 4%.

I've never heard anyone complain about a DCUA hunt, have you?

Looking at these stats I'm not sure what to think.

I think I'd rather chase a few "barely legal rams" and see a few people, then wait to draw a tag with similar or worse constraints than a HT area.

I like that there's draw tags that I can apply for and if I don't get one of those and want to still hunt there is a lot of area that I can get a general tag. I don't mind seeing other hunters but all I've ever done is walk in hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post

I think I'd rather chase a few "barely legal rams" and see a few people, then wait to draw a tag with similar or worse constraints than a HT area.
    I feel likewise - I have to look at my preferences through the lens of opportunity. I'm not talking about unlimited opportunity necessarily, but I don't want a future where a sheep hunt becomes a once or twice in a lifetime deal because everything is limited to drawing permit so that we can have less crowding and larger rams. Obviously I prefer to see nobody in the field, and on my last few sheep hunts I've achieved that goal - but if me being able to take my sons sheep hunting when they are old enough means I see another tent or two, I'm OK with that trade-off.

When my wife and I went to the Brooks two years ago, we were given the choice between an area with a high potential for rams where we would almost certainly see other hunters and another area with low to marginal potential where we would almost certainly be alone. We chose the latter. In 7 days we not only didn't see another hunter, but we didn't even hear the distant sound of a small plane the entire time. We also didn't find a single legal ram, though we did spend some time looking at some 7/8 rams. It was an absolutely glorious hunt and I would make the same choice in a heartbeat. Solitude is what I'm really after - but - I'll give some of that up so that I can hunt with my wife and sons without having to wait 20 years for a drawing permit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast