Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: delterious exotic wildlife near anchorage

Default delterious exotic wildlife near anchorage

hi I noticed there is no closed season for exotic wildlife hunting. do we have some feral turkey or quails near anchorage or the valley? just wondering. ..

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    hi I noticed there is no closed season for exotic wildlife hunting. do we have some feral turkey or quails near anchorage or the valley? just wondering. ..
    Yep!

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

100% true story...in 2010, I was headed to the Russian and about 200 yards before the Kenai bridge at Cooper Landing I saw a turkey standing on the side of the road. Everyone else in the truck saw it as well which made for some interesting discussions as to why, how, when, etc. a turkey showed up there in the first place.

I don't know about Anchorage but I regularly see some on the Peninsula.
    One year I got 5 wild Turkeys from the woods. Talk about some good eating!
    One year we saw a lot of Pheasants in the Ninilchik area. My buddy decided I wasn't allowed to shoot them. I still regret not doing it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Lots of feral cats, dogs, and rabbits too...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    100% true story...in 2010, I was headed to the Russian and about 200 yards before the Kenai bridge at Cooper Landing I saw a turkey standing on the side of the road. Everyone else in the truck saw it as well which made for some interesting discussions as to why, how, when, etc. a turkey showed up there in the first place.
    I've seen turkeys on that first stretch of Skilak Loop Rd a couple of times when pulling into Jim's Landing. It's been five years or so, though. I've also seen them in Girdwood once and in Peter's Creek a number of times.

sounds like I can get myself some turkey from peters creek!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterwannabe View Post
    sounds like I can get myself some turkey from peters creek!
    Possibly. Open season doesn't mean that you can hunt in areas closed to the discharge of firearms. Perhaps with archery gear, but not in the muni if you're using firearms - at least not in most areas.

I was planning to bowhunt. got a new bow. peters creek is open for hunting turkey and other small game with the bow right? unless I read it wrong?

You'll also want to ensure your intended target is actually a feral bird on public land. NOT someone's domestic stock on private property...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You'll also want to ensure your intended target is actually a feral bird on public land. NOT someone's domestic stock on private property...
    Minor details!!!!

Minor details!!!!
    Yeah, WTH! It did not stop those kids on Lazy Mountain from getting a turkey and getting away with it.

Good point.
    The Turkeys I got were on private property I had permission to hunt and the owner certainly did not raise turkeys.
    There are quite a few people who raise these critters up and release them. Whether they are trying to establish a small local population of them or just can't bear to butcher their pets. Might even have a few who just can't afford to feed them any longer.
    I have never gone out to specifically target these types of animals but if I find some in an area where I can safely and legally harvest them I certainly will.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

It seems hard to tell where is the private property and public lands in the area. Are there specific maps for peters creek area on this?

Hi hunterwannabe. I'm not sure on the details of peters creek, but every so often I hear folks having the same challenge of determining public/private lands. Down here in WA we have an online parcel viewer that is a great mapping tool showing parcels, lot lines, ownership, etc. Very very detailed information. I use it frequently. I did a quick Google search and it looks like you've got something similar up there. Here is the one I found for the Peninsula: http://mapserver.borough.kenai.ak.us/kpbmapviewer/ Check it out and play around with it. There is a whole lot of information in there. Looks like there is one for the anchorage area as well. Good luck. Hope that helps a little. If not, it's still a cool tool to have at your disposal.

Scott

thanks a bunch Scott! Appreciate it!

Unfortunately, there's few if any turkeys here in Peters Creek. A few years ago there was a nice flock roaming the neighborhood, and they were even breeding naturally. (We had a hen raise a brood two different summers near our house). Myself and a few of the other neighbors would set out feed for them during the late fall and winter.

Sadly, I haven't seen any around for the past couple of years. I know a few ended up in my freezer, and a lot of neighbors didn't appreciate them pooping all over and getting into their gardens. I imagine whoever was raising and releasing them no longer does...

a few years ago, we lived On Belnap Rd., just off of Diamond Ridge Rd, outside of Homer. Someone in that area used to raise and release ring necked pheasants. I grew up in NorWest Nebr and the first time I saw an old cock and a couple hens race across the road in front of me as I was returning home from the Salty Dawg, I thought perhaps that last brew I had was 1 too many... That winter, I discovered some of them liked to roost under some spruce trees in my back yard. Occasionally I set out some cracked corn for them to help them, with the idea in mind that I'd have me some corn fed fried pheasant.. but I'm getting soft in my "golden years" and we moved away before I ever got that fried pheasant supper.

There is/was a guy living next to the Cooper Landing school that was raising turkeys. He must of had a hundred of them, and he'd let them roam free. Had them walk up to me while working at the school playground. Word had it that F&G kept telling him to keep them penned up but he refused. Last I heard was they had finally had enough so they busted him with a big fine. Don't know what happened after that....

Oh and over the years I lived in Kasilof, I killed 2 cock pheasants I found strutting around in my yard.....head shots with 22 cal scoped pellet gun. Mmmmmm......good...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Up until a few yrs ago there were quite a few pheasants around in Ninilchik. I never shot any as I was awaiting them to grow into sufficient numbers. (Tempting as it was. ) Must have had a few bad winters cuz I haven't seen any the last two yrs. About four yrs ago I had a chukar foraging under our deck for seeds. I should have ate him too. I think a neighbor got him first. We have had neighborhood turkeys for many yrs here too. Still have not taken one of them either. (Guess maybe I'm getting soft too.)
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast