Thread: Another thread on shipping boats

Default Another thread on shipping boats

I was stunned by the quote I received to put the boat on a barge from Seattle to Anchorage ~ $5,300. That's many years worth of fuel. There is no availability on the ferry system. It would be cheaper to put my truck on the ferry, have shipped to Bellingham, grab the boat and trailer and drive up. A quick-n-dirty calculation would be less than half the costs. Of course its 2,300 miles of driving with unforeseen challenges.

Any other options?????? I could bring the boat up the inside passage to say Homer, but would still need to get the trailer up. That would certainly be the most enjoyable trip.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Two guys, lots of energy drinks and about 6 days of driving is about all I can think of.

Which barge service?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I looked at three different barge options and ended up hiring a guy to pull the trailer from the Seattle area last June. Found him on UShip for under $2900, all inclusive. He's made several trips hauling boats, has family in Homer, very familiar w/ ALCAN. PM me if you'd lke more information.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsix View Post
    I looked at three different barge options and ended up hiring a guy to pull the trailer from the Seattle area last June. Found him on UShip for under $2900, all inclusive. He's made several trips hauling boats, has family in Homer, very familiar w/ ALCAN. PM me if you'd lke more information.
    Thanks and very interested, but I can't PM you?

Did you check the other ferry routes? There was still some space left the last time I checked on the Kennicott which runs into Whittier. Obviously depends on the day that you are trying to ship. Might be worth looking into...

Man, after seeing some clips of the "reality show" based around U-Ship drivers, I wouldn't let them on the same piece of property I owned anything on.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Man, after seeing some clips of the "reality show" based around U-Ship drivers, I wouldn't let them on the same piece of property I owned anything on.
    Yeah, I was definitely skeptical in the beginning and worried the few days he was enroute. That said, UShip is pretty user-friendly and allows you to gather feedback from previous clients. I felt like I vetted this guy pretty well and I was very pleased w/ the outcome. Saved close to $2K from the barge option....money I put toward a new canvas camper top.

I haven't seen the TV show, otherwise I might have gone another direction.

TlingitWarrior -- I'll try to PM you my phone number

Yeah, I was definitely skeptical in the beginning and worried the few days he was enroute. That said, UShip is pretty user-friendly and allows you to gather feedback from previous clients. I felt like I vetted this guy pretty well and I was very pleased w/ the outcome. Saved close to $2K from the barge option....money I put toward a new canvas camper top.

I haven't seen the TV show, otherwise I might have gone another direction.

TlingitWarrior -- I'll try to PM you my phone number
    In their defense (I guess), as with any "reality show", most of the stuff is likely staged and they intentionally pick/show the bad stuff to make it more exciting to watch. At least I hope that is the case.

Glad it worked out for you.

That unfortunately seems right. It's $95/foot total lengthy Seattle to Juneau. For shopping to anchorage I'd look at Sampson tug and barge.

Sobie2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I contacted Northstar about getting a boat from Anchorage to St. Mary's and it was the same price. But they told me they charge the same no matter the weight. They charge by storage space. So if I was to go heavy, then it would be a better deal.

I'm barging a boat out to my village, but I am going with Ruby Marine and the cost is significantly less. Good Luck and I am curious are boats that much cheaper in the lower 48 than Anchorage?

thanks for the leads. And in going back to my first post, I meant inside passage to Haines.....not Homer

I second using U-ship, easy to use, get quotes and you can speak with the proposed shipper prior to signing a contract. 24' boat on trailer from Biloxi, MS to Eagle River for under 5k, not bad.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Just an idea to consider. A few years back I had a camping trailer barged up from Washington. The price to take delivery in Seward was many hundreds of dollars less than delivery to Anchorage. I believe that was with Northland.

Alaska logistics was about 1500 cheaper to barge than there competitors a couple yes ago

I had a salmon tender from Bellingham bring a boat to me, the cost was cheap at the time.

I haven't heard it mentioned before, but you might try Alaska Traffic Company. They have been very good to me for shipping materials up for work. Ton cheaper than other options.

I uded u ship to find the hauler to bring my boat from Mass to Seattle, guy was great called daily to let me know where he was but u ship miscalculated the mileage so we had to work that out and when i tried to call and or u ship to find out about THEIR mistake i NEVER GOT ANY REPLIES or CALLBACKS. Be very careful with that outfit.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Well at least with Uship you wont have to worry about Roy cutting it in half (He Died)
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Sell the trailer down in Washington and drive it up the inside passage! Get a new trailer in AK and have a buddy meet you in Haines. It would be a trip of a lifetime.

U-Ship
    Just need to find the right guy. I got my 30' x 9.6' boat towed from Los Angeles to Anchorage for about $4,500 (2 years ago). It only took them 5 days. Just make sure to protect all the glass and front of the boat from road chip. I saved over $6,000 by using U-Ship, I was quoted over $11,000 for barge service with oversize surcharge.