Thread: Removing a Trigger Lock

Default Removing a Trigger Lock

I have inherited two nice guns that have a trigger lock on them but keys are nowhere to be found. I am wondering if
    any of you have had to remove them without a key and how you did it. One is a Remington 700 22-250 the other is
    a really nice L C Smith double barrel 12 Guage made in 1928. I am thinking of drilling them out but do not want to cause
    any damage especiially to the shotgun. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

I use a drill press. Clamp the lock, key side down, and drill into the center of the back of the lock with a 3/8" bit. Does it every time. Just hold the gun with your hand while drilling, so it doesn't fall when the lock comes loose. Make sure the lock is squeezed tight on the gun before you start the process.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Take them to a locksmith. Trigger locks are not the highest quality typically and a good locksmith could have them open in a few minutes. He may even be able to make keys for them for a reasonable price.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Back in the day our company insurer forced our office to get a gun safe and trigger locks for our bear guns. One day a junior field scientist checked out a gun, locked it in the case and traveled to a remote site. Failed to take the key for the tigger lock out of the key lock box next to the gun safe (over lawyered). When I got to the site a few days later we were having interesting grizzly issues and there was no gun on site. I borrowed a 18V dewalt and a a dull 3/8" pit, but the gun on a table in the kitchen tent, made the junior scientist sit on the butt stock, and proceeded to drill out the key barrel. its mostly brass so it only took a few seconds with a dull bit and a half dead battery powered drill.

Of course as soon as the gun was freed up there were no more bear issues. Its like they know the game has changed.

The trigger lock issue cropped up five or six more times over the years at that company. Even with additional training and note cards all over the place warning users of the needs for case and trigger lock keys.

What specifically are they? The good old fashioned egg shaped ones? Like this:

Attachment 76693
    If so, don't bother with fancy ways. There's a trick to take it off in like 5 seconds. If you look in that picture, you see the teeth that engage the opposite half? Those are spring held. All you have to do is use a flat head screw driver and press it into the lock between the clam shells. Press those teeth in and it will pop open. Remember these locks are not for protection against theft, they are for safety of children and not much more. For more informative stuff watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8

Lot's of lanquage, kind of long, but you'll see him pop that lock off. I think he even has a kid do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Take them to a locksmith. Trigger locks are not the highest quality typically and a good locksmith could have them open in a few minutes. He may even be able to make keys for them for a reasonable price.
    I thought of that but did not want to spend the money if it could be avoided

Thank you guys for the great ideas. I tried the youtube thing without sucess...probably doing it wrong! Gunbugs idea worked great!
    The trigger locks are off now and I can't wait to shoot my 86 year old shotgun.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Trigger Locks are an ABOMINATION, sayeth, us Gun Guys.

Also hammer blocks, and the like.

We need to pass a Resolution against them.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.