Thread: Muskox meat quality?

Default Muskox meat quality?

Ok I have seen a thread somewhere on here discussing the taste and quality of muskox, but an hour of searching hasn't brought up what I was looking for. Anyone care to comment on the taste and maybe compare it to another animal?

Thanks,
    Dave

a friend was fortunate enough to connect a couple of years ago. he had some processed into sausage, etc. and it was as good as any other. He also turned some roasts into a pulled pork style BBQ and i thought it was delicious. I've heard about 50/ 50 love it or hate it from other friends who have tried it. most likely it all depends on how its prepared

I am very fortunate to have some younger friends that share the hunting bounty with me. So, on two separate occasions I was
    given Muskox meat. The meat has a sweet taste to it and very delicious. I wish my friend was not so likeable and had fewer friends LOL
    that way I would get a few more pounds. Hope they don't read this but I bet they will. OK guys, all of this was just joking so continued good luck hunting and sharing.

I've only take one and the meat was delicious. Unfortuately the meat froze very quickly in the field resulting in it being very tough. I tried to grill and eat one of the tenders, but the first was so tough I ended up throwing the other and everything else in the grind pile - but it was great ground meat!

Been lucky enough to draw a couple times and will say it is absolutely some of the best meat my family has ever eat....right in there with sheep and blacktail....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Lived in Nome until 2012. The family got musk ox every year from 06 to 2012. Very good eating. Sweet as said before. Don't turn the whole thing in to sausage. We would cut, wrap, and freeze ribs, back strap, hips, and a few roasts. These mostly came from the main body. The quarters we deboned and sent for sausage. Great on the grill, just don't over cook it. The animal will likely be quite fat.
    Oh yea.............grind some in to burger.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Our musk ox from last year tastes great but is tough when grilled some of the best way we have found to cook are smoking it in the smoker and cooking in a slow cooker. Cooked ribs in crock pot with beer for a few hours and then grilled for a few minutes each side great . For smoking thaw completely put on dry rub overnight, then put in 200 degree smoker with mild smoke I prefer fruitwood for a few hours wrap in foil leave in smoker or put in your oven for a couple more hours. The taste is like domestic lamb or very mild domestic goat. Meat had plenty of far so we didn't add any into the burger.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will be able to test it myself.

I shot a very old bull, and the meat had incredible taste, but even the straps were chewy. It was great table fare, but I ended up cubing most of the steaks. My kids loved it, even over the moose.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I was lucky enough to get a taste of it one time, it was excellent, to say the least!

delicious! Do not grind it all! They have great marbling in some of the cuts. Best ribeye steak I have ever eaten!

Best wild game I've ever eaten...better than moose IMO. Cold Shortening is a concern on some spring/winter hunts, so make sure you don't allow the meat to freeze within the first 72 hours post harvest. The result is a chewy and tough meat. Rigor Mortis needs to set in and relax before freezing occurs so that glycolysis converts glycogen to lactic acid for natural tenderizing enzymes in the meat.

larry

If the meats freeze, bringh them inside for a day or three and let them relax. We hang ours in our storm shed for a week or more at the low temps, but not freezing temps, prehaps your garage would do, but if you want soft awsome meats, you have to let the rigurmoortise get its thang done and over, and that just takes a bit of warm and some time.

Sweet, tender and marbled with fat like Beef, Muskox and Blueberry fed Black Bears are the only meats Better than Caribou, and I never get tired of Caribou.
    Like MT, our family caught one or two each year untill Tier II came back into vouge.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....