Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Bait Products that just don't seem to work

Unhappy Bear Bait Products that just don't seem to work

Anyone using the Code Blue Drip Bag. I am frustrated with this thing. First it does not have instructions on the use of the product. I know it seems simple; but usually the manufacturer gives you some pointers. Secondly it smelled strong in the store (Anise) and now it is hit and miss. Some days it is strong and others it is not. Also, it is suppose to last for months. But I am not so sure. Just seeing what experience anyone else has had.

Default make yer own

soak some rags in anise and cinnamon, and store them in a ziploc or small plastic jug when not using.when they seem dripped out, add some more anise.

sh,nailed it.I just soak the rags untill I get to the stand and then hang them under a leaning tree to keep as much rain off them as possible.

Default Store-bought stuff

Most don't work. The best thing by far that I found was to use a heavy wool sock. Fill it with molasses and anise oil. Hang it where even the most aggressive bear can't reach it, and the smell will drift for miles. The sock keeps the molasses dripping very slowly. Use a good-quality thick sock, or it will just run out on the ground when it warms up instead of oozing and slowly dripping. Used this for years, and it does work.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default now that sounds

like a helluva good idea

It sure does. Now let us know how that works out.

where do you get Anise oil anyway?

We are using same product. I noticed after a rain the granules will get solidified. I just hit bag against tree to break up again. Seemed to rejuvenate smell. However for the price of this thing one would think it would have much more powerful smell as it did in bag. They probably put scent on outside of bag to fool the fools. It can't hurt but for 20.00 you would think a little stronger. Just my .02

Yea, the Anise scent bag isn't very good.... I used it this year and it lost its scent in about 2 days....

HOWEVER, I did use the "bear magnet" oil... holy cow!! That stuff was STRONG. I soaked clean cotton t-shirts in it and hung them around. I could smell the sweet scent almost 1/3 a mile away a week later!! It was great stuff!!

Default Molasses and anise oil

Well, I have used this for years, and it does work. However, as I said, use a THICK sock so it won't just run out when it gets warm, hang it in a place out of the sun and away from where any bear cn reach it, and wait for the bears. If you can hang it where it drips near the bait, that will keep them at the bait once they follow the scent in.

However, if you don't use good common sense, good woods skills and good cover for yourself, smell like a human and cologne, you will never see a bear regardless of what you put out. You must be extremely silent and awake while going to and from, and especially while on your stand, and be extremely still while on the stand. Remember, you are the intruder in their area, and bears are not dumb, especially the old big ones. If you go charging into your stand, drive your 4-wheeler up to it and hike the last few hundred yards or make unnatural noises on your stand, you will sit and feed skeeters while the bears watch you and wait for you to leave. Then, they feast.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default matt....

you can get anise oil at carrs or fred meyers. it's in the spice and extract section.

Default Scent lures

Try a tampon. May seem a little girlish but they are made to absorb and can soak up a lot of anise. Also, mix the anise in some water and get a small mister or spray bottle and spray the leaves and any "old man beard" and moss with the sprayer so it smells up the area with the anise.

Default womens tampons

As nasty as it sounds I was told to lure bears in with those. They guy that told me that was a retired Alaska fish n game employee. He said that's what they used to trap em. Can anyone help me out with validatin that ? Also I was told that I should pee all around and everytime I go to check my bait. The reasoning was so the bears would be familiar with my scent, Incase I was up in my stand and started to sweat then the bear wouldn't smell an unfamiliar smell. Is that true also. I'm new to this stuff so if anyone could help me then email me at emmamylove2011@gmail.com

Thanx,

Squirell

Filipino fish sauce......It's called "Patis"......It works !!!!!............its a mandatory stocked item in the commisary....lol But they also sell it in Freddies, and New Sagaya market, or probably in any Asian market around.

Baitem 907 has everything you need to lure the bears in. enough said

Why did'nt you start this in the bear bait section. You get what you pay for. "BAITEM 907" website need I say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    Why did'nt you start this in the bear bait section. You get what you pay for. "BAITEM 907" website need I say no more.
    Just like Trakn said baitem 907 cant go wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is everyone talking about stuff that works? I don't see much on what doesn't work as the thread is titled LOL

Ak Explorer
    Your right on the what works and does'nt work I've tried some stuff and wasted money on crap. Just buy "Bait em 907" don't waste money on the rest. Look at the website there's enough garbage on there to lure in any bear you want to shoot. JUST SHOOT STRAIGHT

The pee theory sounds good. Growing up, one of my buddies peed his pants because his dad told him to hold it until they got out of the stand. Haha I guess his dad didn't understand the severity of the situation. I have never shied away from peeing in any station. I personally feel that if there is enough delicious smelling treats they won't care too much about urine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast