Thread: Rifle Maintenace

Default Rifle Maintenace

Just got back from a Float Hunt for bear, flipped the raft and I would like to take a couple of guns to a local shop in the Anchorage area and have them go through them. Unfortunately the scopes have condensation in them and I may be buying new ones but I would like a gun smith to check out and clean the bolt and trigger parts. Suppose I could do it myself but due to time constraints would not paying someone for a check up on the guns.

Thanks

What type of scopes? It is good to know which ones won't take a dunking...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Good move on the gunsmith check.

I'd also send the scopes back to the mfr before trashing them. If they're Leupold, you're in luck.

Default All Wet

If it were me, this is what I would do:

Brush and swab the bores of the barrels as you would during your normal cleaning routine.

Barrel and action out of the stock and wiped down with your choice of oil/lube/ water displacement fluid. Unscrew scope rings, remove scopes. Lube, oil, etc the rings themselves. If the scopes are fogged, look up the manufacturer on the internet and check out their warranty. Many will repair at no charge. If they are cheapies...they will get the circular file and not repaired but replaced.

Trigger mechanisms: displace the water with some sort of spray lube. Consider cleaning them with a petroleum based product like lighter fluid. Not kidding and flammables no where near an open flame or source of ignition.

Pull the bolts out of the actions. Disassemble if you have the tool. If not, take these to the gunsmith and have them disassemble and service the bolts, firing pin spring, etc. inside the bolt.

If you have wood stocks, let them dry for an extended period of time before reinstalling the barreled actions.

None is too hard but the devil is in the details.

Matt M

Default Don't forget all the threaded fasteners, no matter how small

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    If it were me, this is what I would do:

Brush and swab the bores of the barrels as you would during your normal cleaning routine.

Barrel and action out of the stock and wiped down with your choice of oil/lube/ water displacement fluid. Unscrew scope rings, remove scopes. Lube, oil, etc the rings themselves. If the scopes are fogged, look up the manufacturer on the internet and check out their warranty. Many will repair at no charge. If they are cheapies...they will get the circular file and not repaired but replaced.

Trigger mechanisms: displace the water with some sort of spray lube. Consider cleaning them with a petroleum based product like lighter fluid. Not kidding and flammables no where near an open flame or source of ignition.

Pull the bolts out of the actions. Disassemble if you have the tool. If not, take these to the gunsmith and have them disassemble and service the bolts, firing pin spring, etc. inside the bolt.

If you have wood stocks, let them dry for an extended period of time before reinstalling the barreled actions.

None is too hard but the devil is in the details.

Matt M
    Great advice Matt, and I would like to add one more thing. Unscrew every threaded fastener you can find and dry the internal and external threads and lightly lube with a rust preventative. I've overlooked this in the past on rifles that have gotten soaked and eventually rust will ooze out of the threads or if nothing else cause you grief if you ever have to remove in the future you will find a rusty mess.

I went through and cleaned the trigger parts, barrels and stocks. Seem to need some tools or maybe a vice to take the bolts apart. Guess I will take them down town to get cleaned.

The two scopes are a Simmons a cheapy that came on a 270 Savage, it will get trashed and a new cheap one put on. The other scope is a Sightron, always been good with an occasional dunk and massive rains before but this time it was under water for probably 3-4 minutes in a fast river while lashed to the turned over raft. I have sent them an email to see if they will replace/repair but no response yet. I think the scope was $399 in 2000 when I bought it so it is a mid range priced scope, I figure.

Thanks for all the info.

Should be able to take the sightron to a dealer and get it swapped out with a new one! I thought they had an over-the-counter warranty. Could be wrong.

Jake

Every scope I own I test by removing the turret caps, placeing the scope in the sink in warm water for 30 minutes, then in the freezer. If it's still clear, I keep it. I have kept them all because I buy Burris.

Better to spend some coin and have a pro go over the firearms than possibly missing something that'll come back to bite you. Good call.

Unhappy Couldn't Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    Great advice Matt, and I would like to add one more thing. Unscrew every threaded fastener you can find and dry the internal and external threads and lightly lube with a rust preventative. I've overlooked this in the past on rifles that have gotten soaked and eventually rust will ooze out of the threads or if nothing else cause you grief if you ever have to remove in the future you will find a rusty mess.

Last night I awoke and said exactly what you mentioned in your reply. Sling swivels, swivel studs, screws for recoil pad etc. Get them all off and attend to them. If you have waiting until now you are probably looking at some rust.

Matt

Would really like to know if sightron will replace the scope. I sure hope your rifles end up being ok.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Sightron Scope Replacement

For those interested I shipped my scope full of condensation to Sightron on 11 JUN, and they shipped me a brand new one back on 15 JUN and I received it on 19 JUN. I have always liked this scope and I was not looking forward to paying for another scope. Hats off to Sightron as I purchased this 1999 model scope in the spring of 2000 and I was too lazy to send the warrantee card in, I explained what happened to the scope and they shipped me the new one without and questions.

AKFishOn

Don't think I would trust a scope with so weak a seal that just a dunk in 1 ft of water ruined it.

Maybe put it on a .22 plinker and get a serious scope for a hunting rifle.

jedi

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

If the rifle is a Rem 700, I'd definitely have a gunsmith disassemble and clean the trigger mechanism.

You don't want to spray crap in it. If something sticks in there the gun could fire when you take the safety off.

I had the triggers on both my 700s cleaned and adjusted for caution. Some people replace the triggers, for the same reason.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.